Post by paulgpotter » Mon Dec 19, 2016 5:57 am

Thanks David,
very helpful.

-Paul
Bill Hupp
Sergeant

Re: Designer notes query on several different things

Post by Bill Hupp » Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:21 pm

Excellent explanations. Hope this is being summarized for inclusion in the rules.

Bill
Bill Hupp
Thistle & Rose Miniatures
David Kuijt
Grand Master WGC

Post by David Kuijt » Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:34 pm

Bill Hupp wrote:Excellent explanations.

Thank you, thank you. We're here all week. Try the veal.
Bill Hupp wrote:Hope this is being summarized for inclusion in the rules.
That's a bit of a problem. As a lifetime wargamer of board games, I remember how cool it was to read the "designer's notes" for Richtofen's War, Panzerblitz, and so on. But a summary of all the design decisions we made with regard to every aspect of the rules of a miniature game like this could easily double the size of the rules, which is not what we want. We want the rules to be simple and short. If you recall (if you played Richtofen's War) the designer's notes for that game was in a separate little booklet, with some expanded aircraft specs and images, but not in the main rules.

So at the moment our plan is not to have the designer's notes in the rules. We're happy to talk about them within the community, and maybe even (in the fullness of time) create a document (almost certainly an online document) that holds all this information. But including it in the rules isn't in the plans right now.

Can you think of a compelling reason why it would be better to have the designer's notes in the rules, rather than in an online guide or in a community forum like this? In the old days (pre internet; pre electricity) the only way you'd ever see designer's notes was if it was included in the rules. But this is a new era -- we've got our army lists online, maybe we should have the designer's notes online as well.
DK
Bill Hupp
Sergeant

Post by Bill Hupp » Wed Dec 21, 2016 5:26 am

DK,

Sorry, I didn't mean the rules literally. Bringing together information like this spread over a number of posts is all I meant. Searching forums is too time consuming.

And it doesn't have to be every single thing. For potential buyers on line is clearly a superior solution.

And I do like veal.

Bill
Bill Hupp
Thistle & Rose Miniatures
David Kuijt
Grand Master WGC

Post by David Kuijt » Wed Dec 21, 2016 9:42 am

Bill Hupp wrote: Sorry, I didn't mean the rules literally. Bringing together information like this spread over a number of posts is all I meant. Searching forums is too time consuming.
Gotcha.

Sure, collecting all the designer's notes and putting them together in one place sounds like a good idea. I'll add it to my list of things to do.
DK
DRutt
Levy

Post by DRutt » Fri Jan 06, 2017 6:46 pm

I have played Triumph several times with others and enjoy the game. I finally have gotten around to getting my own rules and am trying to get my miniatures in order to see what I have in terms of Triumph troop types. I have heard some oral explanations for the different troop types but it would be helpful if the rules or appendix could include a few sentences explaining each troop type. The above discussion is helpful, but it would be nice to have one comprehensive list to refer to for each type. That would help in understanding how miniatures that were likely previously used for DBA would fit into Triumph. It would also make the game more enjoyable for me if I understood the troop types better and could envision what functions they were performing on the battlefield. For example, it was explained to me that bow levy does not have ranged fire because it consists of unskilled troops with few arrows that get in close and unload them. Perhaps there is a troop list in the materials that I missed. If so can you direct me to it. Thanks.
DRutt
Levy

Post by DRutt » Fri Jan 06, 2017 6:50 pm

Sorry to waste readers' time with my last post. I just found the troop type explanations in Meshwesh.
David Schlanger
Grand Master WGC

Post by David Schlanger » Sat Jan 07, 2017 7:13 pm

DRutt wrote:Sorry to waste readers' time with my last post. I just found the troop type explanations in Meshwesh.
No worries! Glad you are enjoying the game.

DS
Pavane
Squire

Post by Pavane » Sat Jan 07, 2017 9:33 pm

The first two armies of mine that I converted to Triumph basing were the Picts and Early Vikings. After playing several solitaire Triumph games I can say that the Lt. Spear vs. Raider match up is a lot more interesting for both players than playing those armies with legacy rule sets. The movement rate and combat value differences, coupled with the tactical decision whether to use deep Lt. Spear Pictish formations, make it a lot of fun.