Base depth and rules

A place for questions by and for the new gamer to TRIUMPH!
David Kuijt
Grand Master WGC

Re: Base depth and rules

Post by David Kuijt » Sat Jul 15, 2023 9:38 pm

Macunaima wrote:
Sat Jul 15, 2023 8:35 pm
I am thinking I might get away with giving units with a 15mm or 20mm depth a special marker if they get flanked and pushed back. I want to avoid using double-sized bases because I want to have a small footprint game. Making 1MU x 2MU bases in this scale just gets too fiddly, however.
Fiddly is a real issue as you make the stands smaller. And I'm not sure adding markers is a way to reduce that.

I suspect there are a myriad of practical issues involved with playing in a scale where 1mu is smaller than the width of my fingernail. If space was such a concern for me, I'd just go with laser-cut flats of 1mm plywood or something like that, and play on a magnetic board. I've painted 6mm figs and gave it up -- I sure would never even try 3mm. More power to you!
DK
Macunaima
Levy

Post by Macunaima » Sun Jul 16, 2023 8:02 am

Well, these are magneticized laser-cut bases of 1x1 inch. With MUs being a half inch, it should be about as fiddly as a board wargame.

The advantage isn’t so much in playing space as in transport and storage. But even so, a game of Triumph with a 1/2 inch MU gives me a two foot by 16 inch playing space, which can make for a easy game down at the pub.
David Kuijt
Grand Master WGC

Post by David Kuijt » Sun Jul 16, 2023 12:22 pm

Macunaima wrote:
Sun Jul 16, 2023 8:02 am
Well, these are magneticized laser-cut bases of 1x1 inch. With MUs being a half inch, it should be about as fiddly as a board wargame.

The advantage isn’t so much in playing space as in transport and storage. But even so, a game of Triumph with a 1/2 inch MU gives me a two foot by 16 inch playing space, which can make for a easy game down at the pub.
Having big square bases (2mu x 2mu) for everything will reduce the fiddly factor, certainly. It should be a fun game down at the pub, as you say.

My guess would be that the game will be quite different from standard triumph, going back to your original question. I suspect it will play out very orthogonal and grid-like, rather than more free-form, as one impact. But that's just guessing, based upon games with lots of square bases -- and none of those games had more than about 40% square bases.

Best of luck!
DK