Meshwesh minor errors and typos

A place to talk about MESHWESH army lists
David Kuijt
Grand Master WGC

Re: Meshwesh minor errors and typos

Postby David Kuijt » Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:41 pm

Andreas Johansson wrote:(What's perhaps less appropriate is the moniker "javelinmen" - we don't apply it to legionaries or vikings, for all that those too would chuck pointy sticks before contact.)

I suppose "javelinmen" is intended for troops who exclusively threw pointy sticks (i.e., didn't do much of anything else), rather than be applied to any troops that ever threw pointy sticks.

I've fixed the Sassanid problem on the master data listing; as always, it might take some time to be propagated to Meshwesh.
DK

Andreas Johansson
Squire

Postby Andreas Johansson » Wed Sep 05, 2018 1:46 pm

David Kuijt wrote:I suppose "javelinmen" is intended for troops who exclusively threw pointy sticks (i.e., didn't do much of anything else), rather than be applied to any troops that ever threw pointy sticks.

Yes; and what I'm wondering is how exclusively those Indians were dedicated to stick-chucking. Fighting in a static style would typically mean you're ready to fight in hand-to-hand with enemy who close; if this applies to the "Hereditary and mercenary javelinmen" of the Classical Indian list, they ought perhaps be called something else. On the other hand, close combat does not seem to have been emphasized in ancient India, most troops being armed with bows or javelins, so perhaps enemy closing wasn't much of a concern, and static javelin-chucking with no particular backup plan was a viable tactic. The Arthashastra does say that infantry belong on rough ground where elephants and chariots don't want to go, IIRC.

On the third hand, ancient Indian warfare really isn't my field of expertise, so maybe I should just shut up :P

David Kuijt
Grand Master WGC

Postby David Kuijt » Wed Sep 05, 2018 3:31 pm

Andreas Johansson wrote:On the third hand, ancient Indian warfare really isn't my field of expertise, so maybe I should just shut up :P

If we all shut up just because we were outside our knowledge base, I wouldn't have 580 posts... :)
DK

Return to “Army List Discussions”