Early Tang - Silla Korean allies question ?

A place to talk about MESHWESH army lists
jdesmond
Squire

Early Tang - Silla Korean allies question ?

Post by jdesmond » Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:25 am

Salutations, gentlefolk !

If you go to the Meshwesh web page, click on Early Tang Chinese and then Silla Korean Allies, you have a force of 0-1 Horse Bow, 1-3 Lt Spear, 1 Archers and 0-1 Bow Levy.

If you want to printout that list, and click 'save page as HTML', open that in LibreOffice Writer, and click 'save as .TXT file', your Silla allies add an additional line of '0-1 Horse Bow' (both lines identified just as 'horsemen') and another line, 0-1 Pikes - 'Red Banner regiment ex-Koguryo long spear'.

Which is the official reading of the list here ?

If the 'Easter egg' is correct, who makes Koguryo 'long spear' figures in 15mm ?

Yours, John
David Kuijt
Grand Master WGC

Re: Early Tang - Silla Korean allies question ?

Post by David Kuijt » Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:35 am

jdesmond wrote:Salutations, gentlefolk !

If you go to the Meshwesh web page, click on Early Tang Chinese and then Silla Korean Allies, you have a force of 0-1 Horse Bow, 1-3 Lt Spear, 1 Archers and 0-1 Bow Levy.

If you want to printout that list, and click 'save page as HTML', open that in LibreOffice Writer, and click 'save as .TXT file', your Silla allies add an additional line of '0-1 Horse Bow' (both lines identified just as 'horsemen') and another line, 0-1 Pikes - 'Red Banner regiment ex-Koguryo long spear'.

Which is the official reading of the list here ?

If the 'Easter egg' is correct, who makes Koguryo 'long spear' figures in 15mm ?
I'm not trying to replicate your steps -- I don't have LibreOffice Writer, for one thing -- but the Red Banner regiment long spearmen have a date associated with them (971 and later) that you didn't mention. There are also dates associated with the two Horsemen lines, and those dates do not overlap, so there is no conflict there and you can never have both. I suspect that something to do with your "save page as HTML" and then "save as .txt" process is eliminating some of the fields.

We are working on the print function; please be patient.

That's just looking at the master lists, not at Meshwesh -- I'll look at Meshwesh tomorrow and see if anything is off.
DK
David Kuijt
Grand Master WGC

Post by David Kuijt » Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:00 am

[EDIT]

I've checked it again, and I was wrong about being wrong. Date-limited stuff in the allies is being shown fine.

The things that confused you (the extra Horsebow and the Red Banner regiment ex-Koguryo long spearmen) are both date-limited and not allowed during the period that the Tang have Shilla allies (660-668 AD).

So the moral of the story is this -- don't do the "save as HTML" then "save as .txt" thing you were doing. It won't give you correct results.
DK
jdesmond
Squire

Post by jdesmond » Tue May 02, 2017 8:01 am

Salutations, gentlefolk !

An apology preceded by an explanation:

I like to have printed army lists for my troops, possible morphs and likely opponents, note down elements 'in the lead pile', being painted, ready for action. I found that the best way to printout the Meshwesh lists without wasting paper and ink was to save the web pages as .txt files to format and print.

It's been a decade or so since I edited HTML code. Understand it's gotten more complicated since then. Am out of practice, retired, glad is not my problem anymore. Took me a while to find " class="ng-scope ng-hide" " in the code comments, which I gather means "maybe belongs here, probably not, not for dissemination".

So now I know that the electronic version is the definitive and canonical text, and printouts need to be checked against it and corrected. You are right, I was wrong.

Yours, John
David Kuijt
Grand Master WGC

Post by David Kuijt » Tue May 02, 2017 1:29 pm

No problem, John. We're working on the "print button" thing -- it's going to exist. Glad to see your enthusiasm.
DK