Aligning and Conforming - part 2

A place for questions by and for the new gamer to TRIUMPH!
kdoenitz
Levy

Aligning and Conforming - part 2

Post by kdoenitz » Sat May 27, 2017 5:52 pm

As I read my post from "Aligning and Conforming" another question struck me from my previous:

Question 4 - Let's say in the set up above the light infantry were aligned to the heavy infantry at an angle - the closest is 1MU from the heavy infantry and the farthest is 2.5 MUs from the heavy infantry. If the light infantry moves as a group straight ahead the closest light infantry unit will contact a heavy infantry unit with its front corner but there will be no edge to edge or corner to corner contact. In this case would the light infantry group stop with no combat? I'm assuming the light infantry that made contact would exert ZOC and that the opposite would be true.

Instead of moving the light infantry straight ahead (as assumed in my question, let's assume that I pivoted the light infantry as a group to get them parallel with the heavy infantry and then moved forward into contact so that I could at least get front to front even if I didn't have corner to corner contact.

Question 4a - If the contact were still offset would one side conform with the other so we could have front to front and corner to corner contact (and thus combat)? If so, who conforms to whom and when?

Question 4b - If the light infantry pivoted they would only be 1 MU away from the heavy infantry. Could they then align with the heavy infantry since they are now less than 2 MUs away? If they could align is that an extra movement pip or all part of the same move?
Rod
Grand Master WGC

Re: Aligning and Conforming - part 2

Post by Rod » Sun May 28, 2017 12:37 pm

Question 4 - Let's say in the set up above the light infantry were aligned to the heavy infantry at an angle - the closest is 1MU from the heavy infantry and the farthest is 2.5 MUs from the heavy infantry. If the light infantry moves as a group straight ahead the closest light infantry unit will contact a heavy infantry unit with its front corner but there will be no edge to edge or corner to corner contact. In this case would the light infantry group stop with no combat? I'm assuming the light infantry that made contact would exert ZOC and that the opposite would be true.

Instead of moving the light infantry straight ahead (as assumed in my question, let's assume that I pivoted the light infantry as a group to get them parallel with the heavy infantry and then moved forward into contact so that I could at least get front to front even if I didn't have corner to corner contact.
Also allowed as long as they have the movement to do this....
Question 4a - If the contact were still offset would one side conform with the other so we could have front to front and corner to corner contact (and thus combat)? If so, who conforms to whom and when?
The attacker conforms when two groups hit each other.
Question 4b - If the light infantry pivoted they would only be 1 MU away from the heavy infantry. Could they then align with the heavy infantry since they are now less than 2 MUs away? If they could align is that an extra movement pip or all part of the same move?
You seem to be confusing the "within ZOC rule" with the conforming rules a little.... the intent is that when an stand is in ZOC it is limited in it's movement. It cannot ignore the threatening enemy stand or stands.

So it must attempt to line up to fight a stand exerting a ZOC(and uses movement allowance to do so, this is the aligning you seem to mention, it is not a free move and takes one pip per element), must go into combat with one of the stands exerting ZOC, or can do whatever it wants (very carefully) by moving no more than 2 MUs.

This limited movement and aligning rule is related, but separate to your questions about two lines crashing into each other.

When a group uses it's movement to go into to combat, it can slide slightly to align and may uses it's full movement to do so. The attacker conforms and combat ensues.

I hope that helps, but feel free to ask more questions :)
David Schlanger
Grand Master WGC

Post by David Schlanger » Wed May 31, 2017 3:13 pm

Hopefully Rod's answers cleared things up!

This will all be a lot easier when the diagrams are available. But it is essential that the rules as written can stand on their own without the crutch of a diagram and still make sense.

Thanks,
DS
Hammer
Levy

Post by Hammer » Thu Jun 01, 2017 4:05 pm

Really looking forward to the diagrams.

Thanks.