Army Lists - Tournament Rules - question

A place to talk about MESHWESH army lists
jdesmond
Squire

Army Lists - Tournament Rules - question

Post by jdesmond » Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:15 pm

Salutations, gentlefolk !

For _Triumph_ tournaments, what are the rules for choosing your army's makeup going to be ? If your 'barracks box' has all the available figures for that army, can you pick any '48-point combination' when you learn your next opponent ? Or do you submit a list (or two or three - pick one at start of each round) at the beginning, for whomever comes at you ?

Yours, John
David Kuijt
Grand Master WGC

Re: Army Lists - Tournament Rules - question

Post by David Kuijt » Sat Apr 01, 2017 12:52 am

jdesmond wrote: For _Triumph_ tournaments, what are the rules for choosing your army's makeup going to be ? If your 'barracks box' has all the available figures for that army, can you pick any '48-point combination' when you learn your next opponent ? Or do you submit a list (or two or three - pick one at start of each round) at the beginning, for whomever comes at you ?
Depends upon the tournament, in general -- people running tournaments can do whatever they want, of course. Until we get the Terminator Version of Meshwesh running, that will jump back in time and terminate people running tournaments that don't fulfill our lofty standards or something.

If you want my personal thoughts, I think "pick any 48 pt combo" when you learn your next opponent is stupid. It rewards those who paint (or buy) army lists with more options. It ignores any connection that army lists have to history. It gives strange advantages to cases where the army lists attempt to support alternative historical interpretations (did these dudes here fight as Warrior, or as Raider? It was probably one or the other, so let all of them fight one way, or all the other -- but no mix. But switching your 48 every round allows you to choose Raider when you fight against Tamil, and Warrior when you fight against Hoplites -- in essence, letting you pick the best of both).

Tournaments are for fun -- but for me, fun is trying to play the best I can with a particular army, against multiple different opponents and tactical challenges. Not trying to be the best army-picker between rounds. YMMV, of course.
DK