Volcano in progress

Share information about terrain making and battlefield mats
David Kuijt
Grand Master WGC

Volcano in progress

Post by David Kuijt » Mon Oct 07, 2024 12:17 am

First four layers of the volcano are roughed out -- sliced vertically rather than horizontally, because that worked better design-wise.

Final dimensions will be 12" tall and about 16" across the base. A half volcano, since it is intended as a camp for the Fire Giants and Fire Elementals of Surtur's army, in the six-player Fantasy Triumph battle "Ruler of Jotunheim" at Fall In 2024. No pictures of the volcano yet, although what I want is something like this:
Orodruin.jpg
Orodruin.jpg (142.74 KiB) Viewed 524 times

All the figure stands are painted and based now. For example, here's some of the Fire Giant stands:

Rockfire Dreadnoughts: (Cataphracts with Ranged Attack and Slow: 4.5 pts each)
Rockfire Dreadnoughts.jpg
Rockfire Dreadnoughts.jpg (805.68 KiB) Viewed 524 times
Three heroes:
Heroes.jpg
Heroes.jpg (1.22 MiB) Viewed 524 times
Surtur himself: (Behemoth with Deadly and Armored: 6.5 pts)
Titan.jpg
Titan.jpg (834.31 KiB) Viewed 524 times
DK
David Kuijt
Grand Master WGC

Re: Volcano in progress

Post by David Kuijt » Sat Oct 12, 2024 1:44 am

Volcano shaping up well; experimenting with LED lighting for lava flows.

Separately, I've just bought a bright LED battery-operated light and a fan to construct the volcano flame.

Has anyone worked with dry ice? I'm thinking of putting a container of dry ice in the volcano to get a smoke effect when the fan is blowing the billowing silk flames out the top. It'll be even cooler if the smoke from the dry ice leaks down the sides in billowing furls of noxious fumes (hopefully lit from below by the molten lava it is passing over...)
DK
Rod
Grand Master WGC

Post by Rod » Sat Oct 12, 2024 11:06 am

Local Grocery store sells it (with some paperwork). It is perfectly safe if handled properly. I used it for a Science demo in my kids class.

Just make sure you have some thick gloves. You can put it in water with food coloring to create colored smoke.

Or go for a model train smoke generator. Which will not billow as much, but is controllable.
David Kuijt
Grand Master WGC

Post by David Kuijt » Sun Oct 13, 2024 1:26 pm

Rod wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2024 11:06 am
Local Grocery store sells it (with some paperwork). It is perfectly safe if handled properly. I used it for a Science demo in my kids class.

Just make sure you have some thick gloves. You can put it in water with food coloring to create colored smoke.

Or go for a model train smoke generator. Which will not billow as much, but is controllable.
Thanks, Rod.

From looking at dry ice stuff online, it looks like the effect doesn't last long -- I'd have to keep adding dry ice to the receptacle to keep creating smoke?

I just found this product online. Not sure if I want to spend $100 on it, but it sure looks cool.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0D8FTY6VB/?_ ... rd_plhdr=t

Based on previous experience, I suspect that I'm going to create the volcano, lights, fan, and then decide that something that cool really has to have a fog machine.
DK