Base depth and rules

A place for questions by and for the new gamer to TRIUMPH!
Macunaima
Levy

Base depth and rules

Post by Macunaima » Sun Jul 09, 2023 5:06 pm

I have recently rebased my 3mm ancients and fantasy armies to an 1x1 inch standard. Can I still use them for Triumph! if I presume 1/2 inch MU and just make all push back results one MU? What kind of distortions do you see coming into the rules if I do this?

I can see fall back pass throughs and supporting ranks as being slightly different, but not game-brakingly so. Anything I am missing here that I’ll need to think about?
Rod
Grand Master WGC

Re: Base depth and rules

Post by Rod » Mon Jul 10, 2023 2:46 am

You can of course try it with any base depths, but the different base depths for different troop types impact their brittleness on the battlefield.

For example a heavy or elite foot will fall back a shorter distance than a rabble or horde. Often this means that the elite or heavy foot can survive longer in battle (i.e fallback once or twice before being destroyed on the end of a line for example). Mounted also need more room to fallback making them easier to disperse when caught in a tight spot.

So you will lose some of the subtlety built into the troop types.
Macunaima
Levy

Post by Macunaima » Wed Jul 12, 2023 3:22 am

Hmmm. What if I made fall back half an MU for heavy foot (1/4 inch), an MU for light foot (1/2 inch) and 1.5 MU for mounted (3/4 inch)?
David Kuijt
Grand Master WGC

Post by David Kuijt » Wed Jul 12, 2023 10:07 am

Macunaima wrote:
Wed Jul 12, 2023 3:22 am
Hmmm. What if I made fall back half an MU for heavy foot (1/4 inch), an MU for light foot (1/2 inch) and 1.5 MU for mounted (3/4 inch)?
There are other issues involved as well. If you have square basing (as you mention) then any stand hit in the flank while part of a line will be killed if it falls back -- because when they turn to face, there is NO distance to fall back. Doesn't matter what distance.

If you have sufficient troop stands, you might do better by using stands in pairs (with a magnetic underbase or something) to create a 1"x2" paired stand, and treating that as a single stand of Triumph troops. With that, the fall-back distances you mention (converted to the new base width of 2", so 1/2"/1"/1.5") would give you something closer to Triumph behavior.
DK
Macunaima
Levy

Post by Macunaima » Fri Jul 14, 2023 2:54 am

Thanks!
Macunaima
Levy

Post by Macunaima » Fri Jul 14, 2023 2:58 am

Thanks! That would apply to any regularly base Triumph! stand with a base depth greater than 1 MU, however, right?

Any other big issues you can see?
David Kuijt
Grand Master WGC

Post by David Kuijt » Fri Jul 14, 2023 11:05 am

Macunaima wrote:
Fri Jul 14, 2023 2:58 am
Thanks! That would apply to any regularly base Triumph! stand with a base depth greater than 1 MU, however, right?
Yes, in regular Triumph!, stands on square bases and bigger than 1mu bases (like Bow Levy, Knights, Rabble, Bad Horse, most mounted) will not have space to fall back if they are hit in the flank when in a line. Since you were asking about changes caused by your non-T basing system, I pointed out that you are changing that dynamic (which stands are vulnerable in that way).
DK
Macunaima
Levy

Post by Macunaima » Fri Jul 14, 2023 11:59 am

Last edited by Macunaima on Sat Jul 15, 2023 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David Kuijt
Grand Master WGC

Post by David Kuijt » Fri Jul 14, 2023 4:09 pm

Macunaima wrote:
Fri Jul 14, 2023 11:59 am

Confused -- this post is the same as the one two below?
DK
Macunaima
Levy

Post by Macunaima » Sat Jul 15, 2023 8:35 pm

Sorry. That got posted twice for some reason.

I am thinking I might get away with giving units with a 15mm or 20mm depth a special marker if they get flanked and pushed back. I want to avoid using double-sized bases because I want to have a small footprint game. Making 1MU x 2MU bases in this scale just gets too fiddly, however.