10mm Lord of the Rings / Warhammer

Discussion of the upcoming fantasy version of TRIUMPH!
David Kuijt
Grand Master WGC

Re: 10mm Lord of the Rings / Warhammer

Post by David Kuijt » Tue Dec 21, 2021 4:32 am

JonathanJ wrote:
Tue Dec 21, 2021 2:53 am
Canonically they are huntsmen. They are supposed to serve a scouting/ harassing function for the Bretonnian army. They wouldn't have an endless supply of arrows or remounts, so they wouldn't be horsebow... they would be closer to Javelin Cavalry.

I don't know the fantasy Triumph! battle cards, but if it is possible to downgrade the fighting ability of Elite Cavalry, that would be pretty good as far as combat results go.
Sounds like Rod's interpretation -- Bad Horse with deployment dismounting as Skirmisher -- would be almost perfect, then.
DK
Brummbär
Companion-at-Arms

Post by Brummbär » Tue Dec 21, 2021 7:02 am

Interesting points here!
I also stopped following GW about a decade ago, so your view on them is the same as mine. ;-)

I like the idea giving them the option to dismount as Skirmishers. That goes along with the idea of them being mounted huntsmen.
To keep it simple I will start using them as JavCav for the introduction games but will follow this idea later, when we take the more "advanced" ideas into the game.

Always nice to see how creative this group is!
But now I need to get back to the painting table - was a bit lazy the last days...
skc
Squire

Post by skc » Tue Dec 21, 2021 10:28 am

FYI You can see my Undead in action on this Forum. I found having too many Unruly, Slow, Regenerate etc means absolute dependence on good Command Points! BTW: Love the look of your armies!
https://forum.wgcwar.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=951
JonathanJ
Squire

Post by JonathanJ » Tue Dec 21, 2021 4:29 pm

Rod wrote:
Tue Dec 21, 2021 3:03 am
I am starting to think Bad Horse that can dismount to Skirmishers?
That was actually my first thought 👍🏻, but I don't remember the Warmaster 10mm line having skirmishers, so I was trying to avoid that option.

I suggested downgraded elite cavalry to give them some extra resilience (in lieu of dismounting as skirmishers), but in standard Triumph! they're probably best represented as bad horse.
David Kuijt
Grand Master WGC

Post by David Kuijt » Tue Dec 21, 2021 5:17 pm

JonathanJ wrote:
Tue Dec 21, 2021 4:29 pm
I suggested downgraded elite cavalry to give them some extra resilience (in lieu of dismounting as skirmishers),
There aren't any stat-downgrade battle cards (no negative versions of Prowess, Deadly, or Hearten). Making them Fierce or Brittle or Slow might count as a downgrade in terms of their points, but I don't think it does what you want.
JonathanJ wrote:
but in standard Triumph! they're probably best represented as bad horse.
Seems legit!
DK
David Kuijt
Grand Master WGC

Post by David Kuijt » Tue Dec 21, 2021 5:18 pm

JonathanJ wrote:
That was actually my first thought 👍🏻, but I don't remember the Warmaster 10mm line having skirmishers, so I was trying to avoid that option.
Take some Archers and base them dispersed and fewer-of, and you've got Skirmishers.
DK
JonathanJ
Squire

Post by JonathanJ » Tue Dec 21, 2021 7:35 pm

David Kuijt wrote:
Tue Dec 21, 2021 5:18 pm
Take some Archers and base them dispersed and fewer-of, and you've got Skirmishers.
Hah! Painfully obvious!

It shows my current bias against adding bases to existing armies. I'm in the middle of converting a couple armies from "a game I used to play" and need to add some stands. I HATE trying to match old paint jobs...

Triumph! is worth it though. 😊
Brummbär
Companion-at-Arms

Post by Brummbär » Tue Dec 21, 2021 8:55 pm

Nice to see all that action!
And yes - just chopping up archers into skirmishers will definitely do the job!