Fantasy Triumph Playtest Undead vs Mithridatic & Queries

Discussion of the upcoming fantasy version of TRIUMPH!
skc
Squire

Fantasy Triumph Playtest Undead vs Mithridatic & Queries

Post by skc » Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:03 am

After being finally repainted and re-based my 40+yr old "Undead," now 'resurrected,' achieved a 17:12 win against Peter's Mithridatics. (Close, as in another bound it probably would have gone the other way.) With Peter the game is essentially semi-solo, but we thoroughly enjoyed, nevertheless, although the extra Battlecards make one need to think and remember a bit. (especially the negative ones;)
...and those dark bases? Not too sure... but after all, they do come from the 'Land of the Dead!'

Some Clarification Queries:

1. Horde with Terror (from Hero's help) I see normally Horde doesn't Panic most troop types but I just want to clarify that the section in Fantasy rules ..."This overrules the combat result table that would normally
apply to the combat result" make it that Horde with 'Terror' can also Panic say, as in our game, Pike.

2. I assume what is meant by ..."except that combat results of Shattered are not modified." means those who would be shattered are shattered and don't Panic.

3. Hero movement. (a) Can Hero also March move, (with a CP?) and if he can, ignore enemy March move Zoc? (b) If out of Gnrl distance and/or Gnl lost, I take it he now needs extra CP.

4. Regenerate (which I never got to do in this game) I take it, applies only to individual stands and not a Group?

Photos: (1) Ready to roll.
2021-10-16 Undead playtest deployed.jpg
2021-10-16 Undead playtest deployed.jpg (544.57 KiB) Viewed 1610 times
(2) Zombie Horde scrambling up center hill.
2021-10-16 Undead playtest Horde on Hill.jpg
2021-10-16 Undead playtest Horde on Hill.jpg (294.89 KiB) Viewed 1610 times
(3) Peter makes a move.
2021-10-16 Undead playtest - Peter moves.jpg
2021-10-16 Undead playtest - Peter moves.jpg (486.61 KiB) Viewed 1610 times
(4) Pike flee in Terror from 'Zombie Wagon' & 'Minitour" [attachment=0]2021-10-16 Undead playtest Pikes panic in Terror.
Attachments
2021-10-16 Undead playtest Pikes panic in Terror.jpg
2021-10-16 Undead playtest Pikes panic in Terror.jpg (489.63 KiB) Viewed 1610 times
David Kuijt
Grand Master WGC

Re: Fantasy Triumph Playtest Undead vs Mithridatic & Queries

Post by David Kuijt » Sun Oct 17, 2021 5:13 pm

skc wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:03 am
Some Clarification Queries:

1. Horde with Terror (from Hero's help) I see normally Horde doesn't Panic most troop types but I just want to clarify that the section in Fantasy rules ..."This overrules the combat result table that would normally
apply to the combat result" make it that Horde with 'Terror' can also Panic say, as in our game, Pike.
Sure. Wouldn't make any sense otherwise -- if Terror would only allow you to Panic stands you could already Panic, then that's an awful lot of points wasted for something you have already.
skc wrote:
2. I assume what is meant by ..."except that combat results of Shattered are not modified." means those who would be shattered are shattered and don't Panic.
Well, there's a philosophical question about whether they can panic when they're dead... but yes, Panic is supposed to be an upgrade of combat results (as a result of Terror) not a downgrade. So if they are already subject to being Shattered, they are dead, and their shades might be scared, but who cares?
skc wrote:
3. Hero movement. (a) Can Hero also March move, (with a CP?) and if he can, ignore enemy March move Zoc? (b) If out of Gnrl distance and/or Gnl lost, I take it he now needs extra CP.
Heroes can march move, and it does cost a CP. That's why we said the base move is zero command points (not "No cost") -- because that means it is one additional if out of command control (your question b) or if march moving (your question a).

I'm not sure what you mean by "ignore enemy march move ZOC" -- ZOC is specifically the zone of endangerment that extends out from the front of an enemy stand, 2mu. March moves can never get (or pass) that close to an enemy, because they can't get within 8mu of the enemy.

If you mean "do heroes ignore enemy 8mu distance when march moving", no, they do not -- they ignore ZOC, and that isn't ZOC. That's something different -- not the same distance, not the same mechanism, not the same rules of restriction, none of that stuff is the same.
skc wrote:
4. Regenerate (which I never got to do in this game) I take it, applies only to individual stands and not a Group?
The cost to return one stand is described; if you want to regenerate a group, you must pay for each stand separately.
DK
skc
Squire

Post by skc » Mon Oct 18, 2021 5:39 am

You cleared that up clearly! I think I'm still trying to get my head around, that "shattered" is really the old "quick kill" term we used in DBA/DBM.
Also after years of "Barkerese," I tend to look for 'hidden meanings' in the rules. but need realise that Triumph! really just means what it says.
Thankyou!
David Kuijt
Grand Master WGC

Post by David Kuijt » Mon Oct 18, 2021 11:33 am

skc wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 5:39 am
Also after years of "Barkerese," I tend to look for 'hidden meanings' in the rules. but need realise that Triumph! really just means what it says.
Thanks, we tried very hard for clarity.
DK