Conan and the Hyborian Age

Discussion of the upcoming fantasy version of TRIUMPH!
Bill Hupp
Sergeant

Conan and the Hyborian Age

Post by Bill Hupp » Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:36 am

"Know, O prince, that between the years when the oceans drank Atlantis and the gleaming cities, and the years of the rise of the sons of Aryas, there was an Age undreamed of, when shining kingdoms lay spread across the world like blue mantles beneath the stars ... "

First, I want to recognize Paul Potter for leading the way in this interesting fantasy world by putting on his Conan multiplayer campaign game at Little Wars this year.

Second, I thought I would start a thread for Conan theme gaming to get other interesting ideas, troop sources, etc under a solid subject line.

I am NOT widely read in the Conan literature, but this seems like a reasonable summary.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyborian_Age

Most ancient nations show up in the list of nations, so normal Triumph! armies would have most of the troops needed to field Hyborian armies. (One of my first purchased armies was a Chinese army with a Fantasy component that I could use in Hyboria for Khitai.)

I can see doing Conan gaming in two ways:

1- Following the famous 1 day campaign system of the 2 Davids
2- Using the Conan board game for a longer more involved Conan experience.

So who has a Conan army? And what special features of the Conan world would need rule adjustments or changes?

Bill
Bill Hupp
Thistle & Rose Miniatures
Deuce
Squire

Re: Conan and the Hyborian Age

Post by Deuce » Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:42 pm

Any ideas on how you would represent the big guy himself?

Maybe a Battle Card that lets him be a Skirmisher on one turn and an Elite Infantry the next?
David Kuijt
Grand Master WGC

Re: Conan and the Hyborian Age

Post by David Kuijt » Fri Aug 09, 2019 2:23 am

Deuce wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:42 pm
Any ideas on how you would represent the big guy himself?

Maybe a Battle Card that lets him be a Skirmisher on one turn and an Elite Infantry the next?
Nope. However he is represented, he is not 500 guys with bows or 500 to 1000 guys with training in fighting in close formation. He doesn't block recoil for 1000 friendly guys who are falling back from enemy; he doesn't engage in normal frontal combat; and so on.

There are "Power" rules being developed for Fantasy Triumph to represent individuals who can fight (or bespell, or whatever) against a whole stand of <whatever type>. If those turn out well, that's what we'd use to represent Mr. Kromfollower. After all, in one of his battles (book 9 or 10, I think) his army is defeated and he fights on alone on a pile of bodies until Thoth Amon comes up and says "that's enough of that" and paralyzes him with his staff.
DK