Spartacus Army in 15mm

A place to share painting tips and photos of painted armies and figures
Texus Maximus
Sergeant

Spartacus Army in 15mm

Post by Texus Maximus » Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:54 pm

Here is the command stand (Javelin Cavalry) for my Spartacus army in 15mm. Both horses are from Donnington. The commander is an Old Glory Breton cavalryman, with a Xyston head and a sword arm from a War and Empire gladiator. The other soldier is a War and Empire figure with a head from a Museum (?) gladiator figure.

The War and Empire Spartacus figures are excellent. I highly recommend this range. They fit in well with other ranges I commonly use like Old Glory and Xyston.

Texus Maximus
Sergeant

Re: Spartacus Army in 15mm

Post by Texus Maximus » Tue Jun 26, 2018 5:00 pm

Here are some shots of the Rabble (11 stands) for this army. I used a wide variety of figures, including some conversions. Most of the figures are War and Empire, with Old Glory, Xyston, Blue Moon, Black Hat, Eureka, and some others filling out the rest.

I try to make sure all the figures on a stand make visual sense. Here is an example. A Xyston slinger is hard at work while an Old Glory figure (from their ancient artillery range) watches to see where the shot lands. A War and Empire escaped slave looks on from behind.

David Schlanger
Grand Master WGC

Post by David Schlanger » Thu Jun 28, 2018 2:19 pm

This looks fantastic! Very nice mixture of figures.
Thanks for posting, will be nice to see how they look as the project progresses!

DS
Rod
Grand Master WGC

Post by Rod » Thu Jun 28, 2018 5:50 pm

Love the rabble!
Texus Maximus
Sergeant

Post by Texus Maximus » Sun Jul 01, 2018 3:31 am

Here is more work in progress. The first stand has been primed black, drybrushed white, and the stand has been covered with model railroad sand that was then stain-painted dark brown. All my paints are water-based craft paints from Hobby Lobby.

The second stand has some basic paints applied. The base has been drybrushed light brown then light grey.

The third stand has been completely painted.

The fourth stand has been stained with MinWax Polyshades "Tudor Satin" stain.

The final step will be to add green static grass, some small rocks (crushed up kitty litter), and a grass clumps to the bases. Then the stand will be coated with Testors Dull Coat.

I will post some more pictures once the Rabble and command stand are completely finished.

Texus Maximus
Sergeant

Post by Texus Maximus » Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:00 pm

Here is the first half of the army. I made some modifications as I painted, so I ended up with 10 rabble. This is 24 points worth of troops. The next step is to paint a stand of elite foot and several stands of ex-slaves with Roman equipment.

Texus Maximus
Sergeant

Post by Texus Maximus » Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:02 pm

A few more photos of the rabble and javelin cavalry, and two extra stands just for fun.

Gregorius
Companion-at-Arms

Post by Gregorius » Wed Jul 04, 2018 11:34 pm

Very nice work Tex. I do like the flaming logs.

Cheers,
Greg in the antipodes.
Bill Hupp
Sergeant

Post by Bill Hupp » Fri Jul 06, 2018 1:49 pm

Lovely. This will be a great army to highlight the unique changes Triumph! makes to the original game model.
Bill Hupp
Thistle & Rose Miniatures
Texus Maximus
Sergeant

Post by Texus Maximus » Sun Jul 15, 2018 3:07 am

The first draft of the Spartacus army camp. The army of Spartacus encamped, for some time, on the slopes of Mount Vesuvius. This seemed like an ideal setting for a Triumph! camp. Here we see Spartacus overlooking the battlefield, surrounded by women and children. A captured Roman tent, camp furniture, and other goods are set up behind them. A steady stream of escaped slaves - carrying goods, babies, a captured Roman standard, and tools - makes their way up the trail to the camp and freedom. Two guards, one at the base of the trail and another sitting on an outcropping, keep watch. A girl reaches out to touch the Roman standard as it passes by. The figures are by Old Glory, Forged in Battle. Essex, Xyston, and a few others that I can't recall.

Here are the Heavy Foot in progress. These represent slaves and ex-soldiers with captured Roman equipment. Some of the shields are finished but there is still a ways to go. The figures are almost all from Forged in Battle.