20 and 15mm deep bases for 15mm

A place to ask specific rules questions about TRIUMPH!
paulgpotter
Squire

20 and 15mm deep bases for 15mm

Post by paulgpotter » Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:58 pm

Some 15mm are actually 18mm and are hard to fit on a 15mm deep base. Can the rules be written in a way that allows 20mm bases to be used in place of 15mm deep bases? -Paul
Kontos
Companion-at-Arms

Re: 20 and 15mm deep bases for 15mm

Post by Kontos » Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:17 pm

Is it the Koreans?

...Frank
paulgpotter
Squire

Post by paulgpotter » Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:27 pm

No Frank, but it is just about every army I own. -Paul
Rod
Grand Master WGC

Post by Rod » Sat Jul 15, 2017 3:59 am

Paul,
I am a big fan of eliminating 15mm deep bases :P

Or at least making them optional. In reality if you show up to an event with them on "deeper bases" the biggest issue is making sure your opponent clearly understands the troop type they represent. Same issue we have with Heavy vs. Elite Vs. Spear already....
Kontos
Companion-at-Arms

Post by Kontos » Sat Jul 15, 2017 5:18 am

The only issue is the Fall Back move should remain 15mm if based deeper, unless we get rid of 15mm altogether. That, however; opens a new can of worms identifying troop types.
David Kuijt
Grand Master WGC

Post by David Kuijt » Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:20 am

I've never had any problems putting 15mm figs on bases; at least not since we moved Cataphracts to 40mm deep-ies. I've used lots of different figure manufacturers, too -- nearly all of them, as far as I can tell, except the old Chariot lines (which are definitely NOT large). Which manufacturers in particular are causing you problems, Paul?

The only nod to larger base sizes we've made is creating the 80mm base width scale, which we recommend people use for all their armies in the scale which is laughingly referred to as 25mm, inaccurately referred to as 28mm, and in many cases is really more like 30mm or 32mm. That's a way, way bigger problem than fitting 15mm figs on the close-order foot base depths.

Of course, if your armies are already on 60mm wide bases then you will probably find the above paragraph very upsetting. No worries, if you and your opponents play on 60mm bases, Triumph still works fine. I feel your pain -- really I do, because I've got 60 armies or more in that scale. But I've been basing all my LOTR figs for Pelennor Field on 80mm wide bases, and I can assure you that it works way, way, way, way better and looks really fine. It also allows me to use things like Mumakil and Fell Beasts which would have been impossible at the 60mm wide scale, and mounting the long-pose running LOTR figs from GW was a nightmare in the base depths of the 60mm wide scale.
DK
David Kuijt
Grand Master WGC

Post by David Kuijt » Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:23 am

Kontos wrote:The only issue is the Fall Back move should remain 15mm if based deeper, unless we get rid of 15mm altogether. That, however; opens a new can of worms identifying troop types.
Non-standard base depths isn't a pleasant thought, although we may discuss it.

Abandoning the base depths that now (finally) mean something (directly marking whether troops are close order or open order) is an even less pleasant thought, and we are unlikely to consider that idea seriously at this point.
DK
Kontos
Companion-at-Arms

Post by Kontos » Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:52 pm

David Kuijt wrote:
Kontos wrote:The only issue is the Fall Back move should remain 15mm if based deeper, unless we get rid of 15mm altogether. That, however; opens a new can of worms identifying troop types.
Non-standard base depths isn't a pleasant thought, although we may discuss it.

Abandoning the base depths that now (finally) mean something (directly marking whether troops are close order or open order) is an even less pleasant thought, and we are unlikely to consider that idea seriously at this point.
I believe we are in agreement here.
paulgpotter
Squire

Post by paulgpotter » Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:32 am

these are from the 2 dragon slav line. they are on 15mm bases. due to the over hanging spears they can not fit base to base, they also have some difficulty fitting up against the front of enemy bases.

A mix here of different figure makes on a 20mm base. these are a mix of splintered light, copplestone, red shoe and demon world. these would have real difficulty going on a 15mm base with lots of over hang.

the 3rd photo is of battle valor figs. they have plenty of shoulder room on a 20mm base , if cramped on a 15mm base they would have a lot of overhang again.

I would not request to take 15mm deep bases out of the game nor would I try to stop others from using them. I am requesting that 20mm be written in as an option for close order foot stands.

an other problem with close order foot on 15mm bases is they tip over on hills.

on a side note, if it were completely up to me which it is not I would put all 15mm close order foot on 20mm deep, loose order on 30mm deep and all mounted, war wagon and artillery on 40mm deep. Ahhh, that would be nice, but I would not ask for such.

-Paul
David Schlanger
Grand Master WGC

Post by David Schlanger » Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:26 pm

Hi Paul,

I understand and your points are good ones. With more dynamic poses of modern high quality figures it gets harder to make the figures fit well on the 15mm bases. I am definitely sympathetic and have run into similar issues with my figures.

So, the rules say the following in section 3.1:

3.1 TRIUMPH! may be played using stands (bases and figures) of any size as long as the widths of the bases are uniform. Appendix A specifies appropriate base depths for playing with 40mm, 60mm, or 80mm wide bases.

So, are you suggesting a more explicit statement about 15mm and 20mm bases specifically?

Thanks,
DS