Horse and Musket?

Discuss anything about Washington Grand Company Products (TRIUMPH!, MESHWESH, TERRAIN CARDS, ETC.)
chris6
Squire

Horse and Musket?

Post by chris6 » Thu Oct 08, 2020 6:14 pm

Anyone ever tried a Horse and Musket conversion of our loved Triumph!

I had a look at DBN 1.2 and thought it might be possible to transfer Triumph! to Horse and Musket Era by providing armylists, new definitions of elements and new outcome moves and moving distances. Maybe shooting for artillery should be slightly changed. But the rest of the rules seems so solid to me that i do not see any reason to change.

Ah, well...maybe the generalstaff should not be a fighting element....
chris6
Squire

Re: Horse and Musket?

Post by chris6 » Fri Oct 09, 2020 2:25 pm

Today I started to write down my ideas. Not finished yet, but as soons as I am I would really like to hear what you are thinking
Brummbär
Companion-at-Arms

Post by Brummbär » Fri Oct 09, 2020 2:28 pm

If you want to test and discuss things, I would love to...
Rod
Grand Master WGC

Post by Rod » Fri Oct 09, 2020 2:33 pm

There has been talk about expanding to later periods, but right now too many other items ahead of that.

But love to see what enthusiastic players develop, I have toyed with how to apply Triumph to 30 years war era, but not seriously yet.
chris6
Squire

Post by chris6 » Fri Oct 09, 2020 9:08 pm

Actually I had prefered to go for 30YW too, but what draggs me away is the visual aspect. I have no idea how to make a pike and shot unit good looking on a 4cm wide base. This would mean that I would have to go with several elements forming up a unit. And I guess this would interfer with to many rules.

Thats why I started with Horse and Musket, WSS and Napoleonic in mind, I hope this will be easier.

@Brummbär: Of course you are the one who have to test. Tomorrow I will start the rebasing of some minis.....
Rod
Grand Master WGC

Post by Rod » Fri Oct 09, 2020 11:48 pm

Actually I had prefered to go for 30YW too, but what draggs me away is the visual aspect. I have no idea how to make a pike and shot unit good looking on a 4cm wide base. This would mean that I would have to go with several elements forming up a unit. And I guess this would interfer with to many rules.
Exactly, how do you represent a Tercio or a pike and shot mixed formation and have it look good.

The only option I could think of was go with 6mm figs on 80mm wide bases.
Brummbär
Companion-at-Arms

Post by Brummbär » Sat Oct 10, 2020 5:08 am

Rod wrote:
Fri Oct 09, 2020 11:48 pm
The only option I could think of was go with 6mm figs on 80mm wide bases.
Oh oh - now you got him started 😉
@Chris: what figures are you thinking of? Which conflict do you have in mind?
chris6
Squire

Post by chris6 » Sat Oct 10, 2020 8:13 am

With the Horse and Musket it is everything from about 1700 up to 1900. Till now i have only Muskets, Light Infantry and Skirmishers in mind for the infantry for example, but if someone wants to play let`s say Jacobite45 he definetly needs a battlecard to transform the light Infantry into scotisch clans.

But that is the way I want to go anyway. Just put up the fewest possible changes to the original rules, just a few fundamental elements and the rest, espacially the era flavor, should be done with battlecards by the players choice. Or even better by scenario rules, if a historical battle is fought.

@Ron: That is my point too. Bigger bases, I do like smaller 15mm minis on 8cm wide bases, but that always means bigger tables. And I really do love the smaller playing area in Triumph!. There is more room for beers on the table :lol:

@Brummbär: To get some starting armies for tryout I will go with 6mm commissionfigures made from MDF. Very cheap, easy to paint, and I already have some Austrians and French ready for maybe half an army each.
chris6
Squire

Post by chris6 » Sat Oct 10, 2020 3:46 pm

OK! I am ready with the first try out rule set. I fixed up 4 napoleonic army lists, 2 French, 1 Austrian, 1 Prussian. SO if anyone want to give this a try and comment/suggest you are more than welcome!
vodnik
Squire

Post by vodnik » Sat Oct 10, 2020 10:02 pm

...that mechanic could also be interesting for the sengoku samurai era, but with no mounted bow shooters...
...Hanta Yo!..