Triumph v1.0 Official Release

Discuss anything about Washington Grand Company Products (TRIUMPH!, MESHWESH, TERRAIN CARDS, ETC.)
El' Jocko
Grand Master WGC

Triumph v1.0 Official Release

Post by El' Jocko » Thu Jul 05, 2018 3:03 pm

TRIUMPH VERSION 1.0 IS HERE!!!

We are pleased to announce that the official release of Triumph v1.0 is now available on Wargame Vault!

Triumph v1.0

This is a free PDF download for anyone who purchased a copy of the Early Access Edition.

The most notable change in this final version is in the way that battle line troops are deployed. This change was made to handle situations where an army may have too many or too few battle line troops. This version also includes numerous minor changes, clarifications, improved wording, and additional diagrams. We'll post a complete list of rules changes as soon as we can put it together.

Meshwesh as also been updated. It now includes troop descriptions for all armies. No more puzzling over a troop entry of 2 Bow Levy and trying to figure out what they're supposed to represent! We've also added army lists for some New World armies: 10 armies for the Caribbean and the Pacific Northwest.

- Jack
Piyan Glupak
Levy

Re: Triumph v1.0 Official Release

Post by Piyan Glupak » Fri Jul 06, 2018 5:18 am

Downloaded it. Thanks. Thank you as well for the Meshwesh update. I am busily converting my armies to Triumph! and want to avoid mistakes if reasonably convenient.

I will have to have a practice solo game in the next few days, as I am taking a couple of armies to Vidin to introduce a wargaming friend to Triumph! Unfortunately, he will also want to play a game of v3 of the set of rules whose 3rd version disappointed me. Haven't decided yet whether to take a couple of Trojan War armies, or whether to take my Italian Hill Tribes with either the Umbrians, or the Tullian Romans, if the Romans are ready in time.

Richard Lee
Bill Hupp
Sergeant

Post by Bill Hupp » Fri Jul 06, 2018 1:44 pm

Yeah! Downloaded and spiral bound for $3. And first game played under 1.0.

Bill
Bill Hupp
Thistle & Rose Miniatures
El' Jocko
Grand Master WGC

Post by El' Jocko » Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:11 pm

Changes in Triumph v1.0

RULES CHANGES:

1. Center deployment replaces deploying battle line troops in center third of game board.
- Must deploy 24 points of troops in center third of game board
- Choose from these categories, in order until you reach 24 points:
a. Main army battle line troops (except Skirmishers)
b. Other main army troops (except Skirmishers)
c. Main army Skirmishers
d. Ally troops
This mainly impacts armies with a lot more than or a lot less than 24 points of battle line troops.
The army lists no longer designate a troop option as Half battle line. They are now All or -(None)

2. Breaking off rules previously only addressed breaking off when in mutual front contact with an enemy stand. The breaking off rules have been expanded to handle all the other combat contact situations.

3. A stand fighting to its front can no longer be overlapped by side edge contact on its rear edge. (see diagram F.5.d)

4. Removed rear support when fighting Rabble and Bow Levy.

5. Skirmishers no longer shattered by Knights or Chariots. They're still +1 against mounted, so they're still in trouble if caught by Knights or Chariots in the open.

6. Elephants may pass through Skirmishers while falling back. This clarifies an ambiguous situation.

7. Artillery "shot at" combat factor is now +3 (was +2). This makes Artillery a little less vulnerable in ranged combat, especially counter-battery fire.

ADDITIONS:

1. Getting Started section at beginning

2. Pre-setup steps (assemble army and reveal composition to opponent)

3. New Diagrams in Appendix F (Forming column, Point at which the ZOC is blocked, Uphill)

4. Troop type descriptions

5. Acknowledgments

CLARIFICATIONS AND OTHER CLEANUP

1. Numerous wording changes throughout.

2. Clarified how road moves should work. Also added recommendation for representing a road.

3. Clarified shape and crest line for edge terrain pieces.

4. Clarified making contact with War Wagons

5. Clarified definition of uphill

6. "Distant Shooting" is now called "Ranged Combat". No changes in how it works--just a name change. We felt this was a better description of what this represents, and provides a nice parallel with Close Combat.
Bill Hupp
Sergeant

Post by Bill Hupp » Fri Aug 03, 2018 4:33 am

A clarification on the new set up rules.

1. Center deployment replaces deploying battle line troops in center third of game board.
- Must deploy 24 points of troops in center third of game board

We have played this as follows:

1- the disadvantaged player deploys a minimum of 24 points of his BL troops in the center
2- the advantaged player deploys 24 points of his BL troops in the center and then he can place the other 24 points wherever the player wants.
3- the disadvantaged player places the rest of his troops wherever the player wants.

Thus, BL troops beyond 24 points are not limited to deployment in the center.

Bill
Bill Hupp
Thistle & Rose Miniatures
David Kuijt
Grand Master WGC

Post by David Kuijt » Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:05 pm

Right, you have to put 24 pts in the center, and you have to fill that bucket with BL troops first. If your bucket is full (24 pts) and you still have BL troops, they can go anywhere (meaning left or right, not forward of the 8mu line). If your bucket isn't full and you run out of BL troops before you hit 24 pts, you have to continue filling the bucket with non-BL troops (but not Skirmishers) until you hit 24 pts.
DK
Deuce
Squire

Post by Deuce » Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:56 pm

Is the Version 1.0 still the most current edition? I know at Historicon you mentioned that there was a rule change about not being able to shoot commanders. Are the rules updated, or are there errata published? Also, will there be a 2.0 anytime soon or a hardcopy? I want to get the rules but want to be sure I don't get it then watch 2.0 come out. Thats happened to me before with other rules!
David Kuijt
Grand Master WGC

Post by David Kuijt » Mon Jul 22, 2019 4:13 pm

Deuce wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:56 pm
Are the rules updated, or are there errata published? Also, will there be a 2.0 anytime soon or a hardcopy? I want to get the rules but want to be sure I don't get it then watch 2.0 come out. Thats happened to me before with other rules!
Almost all the changes to the PDF rules are making things more clear -- the only exception I can think of is the one mentioned (General's benefit when being shot at).

Hardcopy maybe available as early as September (but some of the speed things are not under our control). We will be updating the PDF to synchronize with the wording changes in the hardcopy, but timing on that is in discussion. Probably around the time that the hardcopy is available.

This is a very completely examined set of rules; very stable and tested. It is unlikely that there will be any changes for a long time (a decade? a generation? a century? :) ).

With that said, we have a lot of products in the pipeline that will be coming out -- Battle Cards are probably the highest priority once the hardcopy fuss is successfully managed. Fantasy Triumph, a campaign book, and several scenario books (historical battles framed in Triumph terms) are also in process. Some of them are largely done (although scenario and campaign books need a map artist, which is (a) not found yet and (b) going to require time and money).
DK
Deuce
Squire

Post by Deuce » Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:28 pm

Sold! I just bought it. Mainly because its guaranteed for a century!

Time to dust off my Vikings, Mongols, and Classic Indians.

I still look forward to the hardcopy.