Some light reading (about Ilipa) . . .

Anything else related to TRIUMPH! events
HoaryCenturion
Squire

Some light reading (about Ilipa) . . .

Post by HoaryCenturion » Wed Jan 10, 2024 12:24 am

Gentlemen,

Here is the intro to my latest blog post:

I scanned the electronic pages of Patrick Waterson’s excellent article “Scipio’s Masterpiece: The Battle of Ilipa,” which originally appeared in the January 2011 issue of Slingshot (Number 274), and then printed a copy for closer reading as well as heavy annotation. This enjoyable task completed, I looked back through my collection of electronic copies of this long-running publication and located the two-part article submitted by John Gerson, who wrote in from Australia. His efforts, “The Battle of Ilipa (206 BC): Part 1 and Part 2” (which were published in the March and then May 1983 issues of Slingshot), were printed out, stapled, read, and annotated as well. Finding no other matches in a search of the Index of 333 Slingshot issues (from September 1965 to November/December 2020), or in physical copies going up to Number 347, I looked through other wargaming publications stored away in a fair number of labeled and stacked plastic bins kept in what might be called a spare room. After a bit of digging, I uncovered Jim Webster’s “The Battle of Ilipa: 206 BC,” in the September 1987 issue of Miniature Wargames magazine (Number 52). The comparatively short article was read and read again. I did not bother to make a copy for the purpose of annotation. However, I did make a point of keeping the actual, if rather “ancient” magazine close at hand.

The rest of the “paper” can be read here: https://nopaintingrequired.blogspot.com ... 0Questions

There is a bit about TRIUMPH! contained within the text body. Thought you all might find it of interest - to one degree or another. Not sure how many on this forum are members (active or passive) of The Society of Ancients.

Thanks in advance for taking the time to peruse.

Note: As always, any silly errors remaining after a number of edits are mine. The font used was Arial 12 point, though I don’t know if this will transfer to the blog.

Cheers,
Chris
HoaryCenturion
Squire

Re: Some light reading (about Ilipa) . . .

Post by HoaryCenturion » Mon Jan 22, 2024 1:59 pm

Gentlemen,

At first, the number of views was exciting. And then it was humbling.

Then, it was curious.

I should have experienced that emotion or suspicion first . . .

The link has been available for 13 days. The number of views as of this morning is nearly 18,000. :shock:

That works out to just about 1,400 views a day, which is more than 4 times the current membership of this Forum.

I would imagine that bots or some other form of AI are involved.

The number of views here certainly has not translated/transferred to my blog.

Wonder if anyone else has thoughts or remarks on this?

Looking at other forum posts, I see similar numbers of views . . .

Sign me curious,

Chris