Franks vs Several Opponents

Description of battles, photos, videos, victory!
HoaryCenturion
Squire

Franks vs Several Opponents

Post by HoaryCenturion » Wed Jan 11, 2023 11:32 am

Gentlemen,

Four reports of Franks engaging a variety of enemies across space and time . . .

TRIUMPH! rules were employed for these solo scenarios.

The CORRECTED link is:

https://nopaintingrequired.blogspot.com ... k%28ish%29

Evidently, I cannot include . . . in the copied and pasted ID. A thousand apologies for the error. :oops:

As per usual, standard boiler plate language about grammar and spelling, etc.

Thanks in advance for investing your time and for any offering comments and or constructive criticism.

Cheers,
Chris
Bill Hupp
Sergeant

Re: Franks vs Several Opponents

Post by Bill Hupp » Sun Jan 15, 2023 7:33 pm

Chris,

The Franks are an interesting topic to me. Thistle & Rose has a bunch of Early Frank figures with plenty of different francisca armed figures. The later barbarians don't seem as easy to find info on as the earlier Gauls and Germans.

This seems more of a gaming article than your usual historical battle studies. I recall the creator of Thistle & Rose, Jamie Fish, making comments on the barbarian armies not being treated very well in the ancient rules sets.

We have played both campaigns and big battles of Romans vs. Barbarians with Triumph! and had fun with them all. The Barbarians have a chance. Barbarians vs. Barbarians is also a good game. I'm not sure about non-historical, tournament type match ups.
Bill Hupp
Thistle & Rose Miniatures
Bill Hupp
Sergeant

Post by Bill Hupp » Sun Jan 15, 2023 9:21 pm

Version 2.jpg
Version 2.jpg (24.08 KiB) Viewed 4765 times
Franks make really nice looking armies and from what i have can tell, make great generic dark age infantry for all types of armies in that 400-800 period.
Bill Hupp
HoaryCenturion
Squire

Post by HoaryCenturion » Sun Jan 15, 2023 9:44 pm

Cheers Bill,

Thanks for taking the time to read and comment.

Yes, it was more of a faux tournament as opposed to my usual fare. (Have three historically-focused posts in queue.)

You may or may not find this link of interest. It was shared by a gentleman over on the SoA Forum:

You might be interested that in most recent analysis of DBM results the Franks achieved a success score of 50%.  See https://www.jglwargames.com/army-popula ... 3-and-3-4/ for details.

I hope to get to that point you referenced re campaigns and big battles . . . I am not sure that I will give these Franks another test anytime soon, however.

Thanks again.

Chris
Bill Hupp
Sergeant

Post by Bill Hupp » Wed Jan 18, 2023 3:14 am

Chris,

50 percent wins isn’t bad at all for the Early Franks. Lots of possibilities for allies too,
Bill Hupp
Bill Hupp
Sergeant

Post by Bill Hupp » Wed Jan 18, 2023 10:19 pm

In Simon MacDowall's book on the Franks he says:

"..the Franks had a complex relationship with the Romans, being by turns invaders, recruits to the legions and independent allies."

I'm looking forward to spending more time in that 300-800 period studyihg the history, battles and changing borders.

I'm sure I will need some kind of notes to keep track.
Bill Hupp