Byzantines vs Egyptians

Description of battles, photos, videos, victory!
HoaryCenturion
Squire

Byzantines vs Egyptians

Post by HoaryCenturion » Thu Dec 22, 2022 10:05 pm

Gentlemen and other interested individuals,

A one-off, “holiday” or “end of year” scenario was staged featuring Thematic Byzantines and Early New Kingdom Egyptians.

Anachronistic and counterfactual, to be sure. But even so . . .

Here is the link for those who might want to invest the time to read and possibly offer a comment or two:

https://nopaintingrequired.blogspot.com ... 0Interlude

Again, any errors of grammar, in spelling or with the format are entirely my own.

Thanks in advance & happy and healthy holidays to you and yours. :)

Cheers,
Chris
Texus Maximus
Sergeant

Re: Byzantines vs Egyptians

Post by Texus Maximus » Mon Jan 09, 2023 7:06 pm

"Charles Stewart Grant wrote that it was silly (my word, not his, but the overall assessment is very similar) for an “Egyptian army of about 3,000 BC to meet a Byzantine army from the sixth century AD on the wargames tabletop.” He also brought up the additional “wild” example of “Ancient Britains [sic] facing off against Alexandrian Macedonians.” *

This is still a valid observation. One of the strengths of Triumph! is that the armies are relatively small. I remember back in the 1970s when the Wargames Research Group rules were popular, armies were very large and required hundreds of figures in most cases. So one was stuck with Egyptians vs Byzantines because most people could only afford the time and financial committment to make one or maybe two armies. So I think it is fun that you took Mr. Grant's observation and made a game of it! '

* I immediately recognized the battle of "Britons vs. Macedonians" as a reference to the old "Airfix Guide to Ancient Wargaming" by Phil Barker. I must have studied that Britons vs. Macedonians battle report (with photos!) a dozen times.
HoaryCenturion
Squire

Re: Byzantines vs Egyptians

Post by HoaryCenturion » Mon Jan 09, 2023 9:20 pm

Hello there TM,

Thanks for taking the time to reply/comment.

Heard much the same regarding the availability and cost and so forth in the early years regarding the match-ups that would grace a number of tables. Back then (and I would argue today, still), the play was the thing.

Cheers,
Chris