Hebrews vs. Philistines

Description of battles, photos, videos, victory!
Texus Maximus
Sergeant

Hebrews vs. Philistines

Post by Texus Maximus » Mon Jun 06, 2022 12:03 am

My son-in-law, nephew and I played two battles of Triumph! on Friday using my 15mm Early Hebrew and Early Philistine armies. We used the standard two player game rules. My son-in law joined me on the Philistine side for the second battle; he took command of the infantry and I took the mounted elements. The second battle will be a separate post under this topic.

The Forces.

The Philistine Army had three Battle Taxis, six Raiders, two Skirmishers, two Rabble, and two Bow Levy. They also had the “Pack Trains and Herds” Battle Card allowing the camp to be placed anywhere on the base edge. My nephew commanded the Philistines.

The Hebrew forces were two Raiders, six Light Foot, four Warbands, one Bow Levy, and two Skirmishers. They also had the “Pack Trains and Herds” Battle Card allowing the camp to be placed anywhere on the base edge. In addition, the Hebrews had the Ambush Battle Card allowing light troops to be deployed in rough terrain beyond the normal deployment area. I commanded the Hebrews.

Before the Battle.

A young man with a sling confronts a Philistine hero as the army looks on.

The Battlefield.

There were five pieces of terrain. A village was located on the Philistine base line. Two steep hills were located on the Hebrew left flank. None of these played a part in the battle. There were two steep hills located in the center of the board that were significant because this allowed the Hebrew forces to set up in ambush.

Deployment.

The Hebrews put the two Skirmishers and the Bow Levy in ambush positions on two different hills. The Light Foot, Warbands, and Raiders were set up in a long line in the center and behind the hill on their right flank. One Warband was set to guard the camp.

The Philistines set up two Skirmishers and a Rabble to oppose the Hebrew Skirmishers. The Raiders and Bow Levy formed a phalanx in the center. The Battle Taxis set up on the Philistine left. One Rabble was detailed to guard the camp.

Initial Plans.

The Philistine plan was to use their own light troops to defeat the Hebrew skirmishers in ambush on the Hebrew left flank. The main body and the General would advance down the valley between the two steep hills in order to engage the more lightly-armed Hebrew infantry. The Battle Taxis on the Philistine right were a holding force.

The Hebrew plan was to limit Philistine movement with the ambushing forces while the numerically superior Hebrew infantry advanced over the steep hill to their front in order to envelop the Philistine left flank.

The Battle.

Overview of the battlefield from the Hebrew side.

Slingers and bowmen of the Benjaminite tribe wait for the attack they know is sure to come.

Hebrew bowmen wait in the hills. They never looose a single arrow in the battle, but their presence helps limit the Philistine movement.

Nobles in their chariots, watching the hill to their front.

The main body gathers in front of the temple of Dagon.

The Philistine general and the main body of troops. The fires of Dagon can be seen glowing in the windows. (It really does have flickering light; I have an LED candle inside).

Men of the Kharu and Shasu tribe, although not Philistines, are brave and willing to go into the hills and fight the swarms of Hebrews they know are there.

View of the battlefield from the village.

View from behind the Philistine right flank.

The battle begins in the hills.

The Philistine general, seeing Hebrews coming over the steep hill in force, moves his chariots towards the opposite flank.

Hebrew tribesmen cross the hill and prepare to make contact.

Another view of the enveloping attack.

The Philistines turn to face the growing threat on their left.

Half of the Kharu fall under a hail of slingstones. The slingers boldly press the attack into the open ground.

The youthful recklessness of the slingers puts them at risk from the enemy chariots.

The main lines clash.

The Kharu and Shasu defeat the Benjaminite bowmen to their front. The slingers, attacked in the flank by Philistine chariots (Battle taxis), flee into the hills.

The foul Temple of Dagon must be destroyed.

The Hebrew enveloping attack begins to wear down the enemy main body.

Fierce fighting in the center.

Warriors of the tribe of Simeon press in on the Philistine general.

The battle turns decisively in the Hebrew's favor as the warriors of Simeon smite the Philistine general.

The Philistines on the left flank continue to fight despite the loss of their general.

The Philistine center begins to give way.

The battle ends with a Hebrew victory.

Conclusion.

We had another great time with this game. It took us about an hour from start to finish, including some time to look up rules questions. My nephew is a great player. The terrain, along with the Ambush battle card, heavily favored the Hebrews.
Gregorius
Companion-at-Arms

Re: Hebrews vs. Philistines

Post by Gregorius » Mon Jun 06, 2022 2:09 am

A fantastic AAR Paul! And the look of the battle is outstanding. Will you be doing a tutorial on how you constructed Dagon's temple?

Cheers,
Greg in the antipodes.
Rod
Grand Master WGC

Post by Rod » Mon Jun 06, 2022 2:16 am

all your Biblical armies are truly inspiring!
Brummbär
Companion-at-Arms

Post by Brummbär » Mon Jun 06, 2022 5:16 am

Love your armies - love your reports.
Keep them coming!!!
Texus Maximus
Sergeant

Post by Texus Maximus » Tue Jun 07, 2022 10:50 pm

Second Battle

We switched sides for the second battle. My son-in-law joined me on the Philistine side for the second battle; he took command of the infantry and I took the mounted elements. My nephew commanded the Hebrews.

The Forces.

The Philistine Army had three Battle Taxis, six Raiders, two Skirmishers, two Rabble, and two Bow Levy. They also had the “Pack Trains and Herds” Battle Card allowing the camp to be placed anywhere on the base edge. My nephew commanded the Hebrews.

The Hebrew forces were two Raiders, six Light Foot, four Warbands, one Bow Levy, and two Skirmishers. They also had the “Pack Trains and Herds” Battle Card allowing the camp to be placed anywhere on the base edge. In addition, the Hebrews had the Ambush Battle Card allowing light troops to be deployed in rough terrain beyond the normal deployment area. I commanded the Philistine mounted troops. My son-in-law commanded the Philistine infantry.

The Battlefield.

There were five pieces of terrain. A coast bordered one side and a village was located on the opposite flank, closer to the Hebrew side. Three hills were located on the baselines and played no part in the battle. The terrain favored the Philistines because the village was too close to the Hebrew baseline to provide a good place for ambush.

Deployment.

The Hebrews deployed in a long single line with the skirmishers in the village.

The Philistines set up in a line with the light troops opposite the village and the battle taxis on the opposite flank nearer the coast.

Initial Plans.

The Philistine planned to advance rapidly, counting on the higher combat power of the Raiders to overwhelm the Hebrew center before being enveloped on the flanks. The Hebrew plan was to anchor their flank on the village and use superior numbers to defeat the Philistine chariots.

The Battle.

Overview from the Hebrew side.

View from the Philistine right flank.

A long-haired Hewbrew prisoner, blinded by the Philistines, is driven to the Temple of Dagon. He will make sport for the faithful before Dagon!

The Bow Levy are too slow to keep up with the rapid advance, so are left behind near the hills and garrisoning the camp.

The Hebrews have enough numbers to overlap the Battle Taxis.

About to engage.

The superior numbers of Hebrews makes the Philistine commander hesitate. They will stay within range to support the infantry but are wary of the fast-moving enemy.

The Hebrews advance with a blast of trumpets! Almost every stand is engaged at once, including the Philistine chariots.

Light troops engaged on the flank.

Hebrew infantry attacking the Battle Taxis, counting on the overlap giving them the edge.

Overview of the main fight.

The Hebrew general defeats his enemies and moves forward. But the Philistines have victories also.

The high-water mark of the Hebrew advance.

The Philistine Raiders, with their higher combat power and fast movement, exploit the newly-opened gaps in the Hebrew line and cause heavy casualties.

Not pictured is the action on the flank with the Battle Taxis. The Hebrew troops manage to "double" a Battle Taxi, but we then discovetred that these evade instead of being destroyed. The Battle Taxis don't have a significant advantage over the Light Foot either. The battle between the Philistine Battle Taxis and the Hebrew Light Foot was therefore inconclusive, except that it demanded Command Points that could be used elsewhere.

The light infantry engagement is lost and the Hebrews finally retreat. The battle ends in a Philistine victory.

Conclusion.

This was a victory for the Philistines.

Tactical Discussion.

There was no opportunity for ambush, except for the village just beyond the Hebrew lines. The Philistines have no close-order troops for the Hebrew warbands to target. The Battle Taxis can Evade all the Hebrew infantry, except for the two Skirmishers and one Bow Levy.

What deployment and tactics could the Hebrews use in this situation?

The map below shows the situation during deployment, after the Philistines have deployed their 24 points of troops in the center. The Hebrew army must now deploy all their elements. There are no flank marches. What are your suggestions?

Order of Battle:

Philistines:
6 x Raiders
3 x Battle Taxi (General)
2 x Skirmishers
2 x Rabble
2 x Bow Levy

Hebrews
2 x Raiders (General)
6 x Light Foot
4 x Warband
1 x Bow Levy
2 x Skirmishers
Gregorius
Companion-at-Arms

Post by Gregorius » Tue Jun 07, 2022 11:39 pm

That's gaming as a spectacle Paul!

Cheers,
Greg in the antipodes.
Bill Hupp
Sergeant

Post by Bill Hupp » Tue Jun 14, 2022 5:35 pm

Paul,

These are great battles. Thanks for posting.

We will replay them!

Bill
Bill Hupp
Thistle & Rose Miniatures