Game at Saga Games, Frederick, MD Feb 25th

Please post info about upcoming TRIUMPH! events and tournaments
spenn
Levy

Game at Saga Games, Frederick, MD Feb 25th

Post by spenn » Sat Feb 12, 2022 10:27 pm

Two of us plan to meet and play Triumph at Saga Games on Friday, February 25th at 6pm. We have played there once before. Nice store with plenty of tables. Lots of board games as well. I will bring a few 15mm armies, dice, rulers, etc. Everyone is welcome.

Saga Games' website is sagagamesllc.com and the address is
2190 Old Farm Dr, Unit E, FREDERICK, Maryland 21702.

It's a little difficult to see from the street. Look for the Dunkin Donuts. And park behind it.
spenn
Levy

Re: Game at Saga Games, Frederick, MD Feb 25th

Post by spenn » Sat Feb 26, 2022 9:41 pm

Three people showed up to play Triumph! yesterday (2/25) in Frederick. The armies were Late Imperial Romans and Visigoths. Unlike the first time we got together, we used the set up rules. Three weeks ago we just threw armies down and started playing. The set up rules were easy and fast. The Roman player won tactical advantage and decided on very little terrain. Probably a mistake with all the Visigoth knights, but it was OK. The Visigoth knights attacked first and the Roman artillery knocked out one knight stand. The initial charge of the knights knocked out some Roman cavalry and heavy foot. However, the Romans got lucky and killed the Visigoth general. From there, the Visigoth player rolled three 1s in a row for command pips while the Roman got 4s and 5s. The Roman player was able to pick off Visigoth stands one by one.

Great game. Very easy to remember the rules. Very easy to visualize what was happening among the units. And we both developed and discussed tactics as we went along.

Our next get-together will be April 1st. 6pm.
Last edited by spenn on Sun Feb 27, 2022 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
David Schlanger
Grand Master WGC

Post by David Schlanger » Sun Feb 27, 2022 2:05 am

Any idea what time on April 1st?
spenn
Levy

Post by spenn » Sun Feb 27, 2022 10:29 am

We get there at 6pm. Start playing 6:30-ish. We get in one game, but we're playing a little slow. Learning the rules and tactics we go.

I edited the post above so that the starting time is there too.
AlexiusBasileus
Grand Master WGC

Post by AlexiusBasileus » Wed Mar 09, 2022 3:42 pm

Are you all open to additional players?
spenn
Levy

Post by spenn » Thu Mar 10, 2022 2:24 am

Very, VERY open for others to join us!

There are two of us who have made it to both game sessions so far. One extra person joined us last time. And I know of one other that might make it on April 1st. We have dreams of some day playing Grand Triumph with multiple players, but that's for a day in the future when we get a large enough crowd to attend regularly.
AlexiusBasileus
Grand Master WGC

Post by AlexiusBasileus » Thu Mar 10, 2022 5:46 pm

I can bring something roughly time overlapping with Late Romans like Early Franks, or I can bring a later period matched pair. Any preferences?
spenn
Levy

Post by spenn » Fri Mar 11, 2022 6:58 pm

Here are my thoughts on bringing more armies to play, in no particular order --
1. Bring what inspires you because any and all painted armies always inspire me to play
2. If you have something in the Norman era, bring that. We've been talking about playing Normans next.
3. Late Imperial Roman era always catches my attention, we've been playing this, but mostly in learning/memorizing the rules
4. We've talked about trying Roman Republican era with Pyrrhus, Gauls, etc...

Hmmm...So many time periods, so little time.
AlexiusBasileus
Grand Master WGC

Post by AlexiusBasileus » Sat Mar 12, 2022 9:49 pm

I'll bring Early North African Muslim and West Frankish (Normans) as a simple-ish matched pair. I'll also bring Nikephorian Byzantine as the army of my heart.
spenn
Levy

Post by spenn » Sun Mar 13, 2022 1:37 pm

That would be fantastic. Looking forward to the 1st of April and seeing all the armies.