Historicon

Please post info about upcoming TRIUMPH! events and tournaments
RogerCooper
Squire

Historicon

Post by RogerCooper » Wed Mar 10, 2021 2:28 am

Will WGC be at Historicon this year? I have a tough choice to make as Historicon & Dexcon are the same days.
Rod
Grand Master WGC

Re: Historicon

Post by Rod » Wed Mar 10, 2021 2:42 am

We are planning to attend, discussing it this weekend at our company meeting.
David Kuijt
Grand Master WGC

Post by David Kuijt » Wed Mar 10, 2021 3:02 am

As Rod says, we're discussing it. But just so you know, it's not completely under our control -- planning Historicon is a nightmare for the organizers, because of Covid and uncertainty. And we've already heard that it is uncertain.

But if Historicon comes off, we're very likely to have something there in some format. It's a short driving distance for most of us (Rod excepted) and I just got my Covid vaccine this afternoon (as a college professor, I rate 1-B).
DK
FanatiChris
Squire

Post by FanatiChris » Fri Mar 12, 2021 12:33 am

The latest public word (Feb. 24) from Historicon convention director Joby Miller:

"So, at this time, we have not cancelled Historicon. We still have sufficient time to put on a great show even if planning doesn't start in earnest for a few more weeks. Submissions for events and signup for exhibitors were scheduled to start next week. To save everyone a lot of effort in case we have to cancel, we're pushing those dates out one month to March 24. This will still leave our staff ample time to prepare for the show if we're able to proceed, although some other dates currently on the website will likely change.

We remain hopeful that the situation resolves in our favor and we can hold Historicon, but we need to stress that the safety of all of our attendees is our most important consideration. We will continue to update you as new information is received."

Here are the problems they're dealing with in making a decision: " Current Pennsylvania restrictions would prevent us from running the show. Indoor events are still limited in size, social distancing is still in force (making space an issue), and going to Pennsylvania requires a negative COVID-19 test just before travel or a 14-day quarantine upon entering the state. "

Since that announcement, Pennsylvania has slightly relaxed requirements: "Revised maximum occupancy limits for indoor events to allow for 15% of maximum occupancy, regardless of venue size. Core public health measures such as face covering (mask-wearing), social distancing, and hand hygiene still must be enforced. The 15% of maximum occupancy is permitted only if attendees and workers are able to comply with the 6-foot physical distancing requirement."
David Kuijt
Grand Master WGC

Post by David Kuijt » Fri Mar 12, 2021 1:26 am

... and to expand on what Chris said, I guarantee that all those rules will change as the percentage of people vaccinated creeps up. For example, the need for a negative covid19 test or a 14 day quarantine is almost certain to be waived for people who can show that they've been vaxed. The rules were written before large-scale vaccination began; as large-scale vaccination continues, the rules will be (eventually) changed.

To what? Dunno. But they will change.
DK
FanatiChris
Squire

Post by FanatiChris » Wed Mar 24, 2021 2:31 pm

Bad news re: Historicon 2021...from the announcement just posted:

"The current restrictions in Pennsylvania and at the facility once again make it impossible for us to hold Historicon in July 2021. We had extensive - and sometimes exhausting - conversations with the venue to make this work. The main attractions at our conventions are the games, the exhibit hall, and socializing with friends. At the current venue capacity restriction of only 25%, combined with the social distancing requirement of only 3 players per game and significant inter-table space, our games and exhibit hall just don’t work. It makes it impossible for us to hold the type of show that we want; and if we went ahead we run the risk of a significant financial impact due to low attendance."
David Kuijt
Grand Master WGC

Post by David Kuijt » Wed Mar 24, 2021 2:56 pm

Thanks, Chris.

They also say that they're expanding Fall In by a day, and calling it "Historicon". So our WGC planning doesn't actually change, except that we're not doing anything in July now.
DK
FanatiChris
Squire

Post by FanatiChris » Sun Mar 28, 2021 2:21 pm

Apparently it will be the full four days -Th to Sunday.
michaelguth
Squire

Post by michaelguth » Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:36 pm

I know that the thrust of WGC right now is to expose and recruit new players. But, I wondered since it is a 4 day convention whether experienced players might enjoy an event. I have armies and orders of battle for a 10 person Byzantine reconquest duplicate event-5 games each. I've also collected 4 each of Saxon, Sub Roman British, Pictish, Welsh, and Irish for a campaign. Paul Potter is doing a campaign map for me.

Let me know if there is any interest.

Mike Guth
Brian Caskey
Squire

Post by Brian Caskey » Tue Apr 27, 2021 4:13 pm

If things are close to back to normal for attendance
I'm in
Brian Caskey

Sgt Maj Centurion - the Legion Builder

I love Thistle & Rose Figures