Special Event: Battle for Middle Earth, Historicon 2023

Please post info about upcoming TRIUMPH! events and tournaments
Psybilliah
Levy

Re: Special Event: Battle for Middle Earth, Historicon 2023

Post by Psybilliah » Fri Nov 25, 2022 3:09 pm

I'm going paint them up regardless. I just struggle with them as light foot when viewing models and depictions. It's not a big deal though. Not like the inclusion if a troll
Mike "Psybilliah"
Rockville, MD USA
David Kuijt
Grand Master WGC

Post by David Kuijt » Fri Nov 25, 2022 3:15 pm

Psybilliah wrote:
Thu Nov 24, 2022 11:36 pm
Maybe, but I don't see those type of models light foot. Possibly warband or raider. So I was going to look for more ruffian looking.
Gripping Beast Plastic "Dark Age Warriors" or "Dark Age Irish", or Warlord Games "Viking Bondi" or "Saxon Ceorls." Maybe add some Viking Berserkers to get a bit more barbaric.

I like the Dark Age Irish the best. If you search for GBP31 on ebay there's a pack going for $21.75 plus reasonable shipping.
DK
David Kuijt
Grand Master WGC

Post by David Kuijt » Fri Nov 25, 2022 3:17 pm

Psybilliah wrote:
Fri Nov 25, 2022 3:09 pm
I'm going paint them up regardless. I just struggle with them as light foot when viewing models and depictions. It's not a big deal though. Not like the inclusion if a troll
They look and fight an awful lot like Irish. Who are rated as Light Foot. Methinks you don't respect Light Foot enough!
DK
Psybilliah
Levy

Post by Psybilliah » Fri Nov 25, 2022 4:06 pm

Agreed on dark age Irish
Mike "Psybilliah"
Rockville, MD USA
Texus Maximus
Sergeant

Post by Texus Maximus » Sat Nov 26, 2022 7:03 pm

The old Heritage models (25mm) had several excellent ruffian or bandit figures. Still available too.
Texus Maximus
Sergeant

Post by Texus Maximus » Mon Dec 05, 2022 9:46 pm

I have not played any Fantasy Triumph! or built any armies, so anyone feel free to check this army list and let me know if I calculated it correctly. These are "Mount Gundabad Orcs". I want to make sure I have it right before ordering a bunch of figures.

Mount Gundabad Orcs (25mm)
1 x Nazgul Hero (Base 1, Terror +2, Evasive +1, Duelling +3) = 7
4 x Goblin Rabble = 8
6 x Orc Warband = 18
2 x Javelin Cavalry (Wargs) (Fierce -.5, Slow -.5, Terrain Affinity +.5) =7
1 x Javelin Cavalry (Warg) General (Armored +.5, Deadly +2, Hearten +1) = 7
1 x Behemoth (Trolls) = 4

I count a total of 51 Points.
David Kuijt
Grand Master WGC

Post by David Kuijt » Tue Dec 06, 2022 2:01 am

Texus Maximus wrote:
Mon Dec 05, 2022 9:46 pm
I have not played any Fantasy Triumph! or built any armies, so anyone feel free to check this army list and let me know if I calculated it correctly. These are "Mount Gundabad Orcs". I want to make sure I have it right before ordering a bunch of figures.

2 x Javelin Cavalry (Wargs) (Fierce -.5, Slow -.5, Terrain Affinity +.5) =7
1 x Javelin Cavalry (Warg) General (Armored +.5, Deadly +2, Hearten +1) = 7
You can't combine Deadly and Hearten.

Your Warg General needs to have the "Fierce, Slow, Terrain Affinity" also. Wait, it looks like you paid that cost but didn't mention it? So 6 pts for your General (lose the Hearten) not 7.

Dueling value is +1/2 pt cost per dueling value of 1. So having a dueling value of +3 total costs you 1.5 points, not 3 points.

So it looks like you've got an extra 2.5 points? (1 pt saved from no hearten, 1.5 pts saved from overpaying for dueling value)

You might want to spend those points on army Maneuver rating and/or Ambush or Pack Trains and Herds? Ambush in particular could be a very useful ability for an army with so many terrain-using foot.
DK
Texus Maximus
Sergeant

Post by Texus Maximus » Tue Dec 06, 2022 7:27 pm

Good feedback, thanks David. I will increase the Maneuver rating to 3 and take the Ambush card for sure.
chriscoz
Levy

Post by chriscoz » Sun Mar 26, 2023 4:19 pm

Please sign us up.

Chris Cosentino: Gondor Dol Amroth
Glenn Cosentino: Elves of Mirkwood
Andrew Cosentino: Mordor: Dol Guldur
Chris Cosentino
chriscoz18@gmail.com
David Kuijt
Grand Master WGC

Post by David Kuijt » Sun Mar 26, 2023 8:40 pm

11 players signed up now; plus me (waiting until the last minute to fill space -- I've got almost all those armies). Most recent signups are Brian Peruski and Chris, Glenn, and Andrew Cosentino. With Dave Schlanger and I makes 13.

DS and I are going to take something at the last minute to allow other signups to have maximum flexibility -- we've got almost every army anyway in 28mm. Based on signups at the time of this writing, We'll probably be running a Gondor or Rhovanion/Dale army.

The Battle for Middle Earth

This is an event that I've been wanting to run for a long time! Players pick one of a number of armies at the end of the Third Age, fighting for the West or for the Shadow. Exact details will be forthcoming as we get closer to the event. The main reason for this LONG advance notice is to give players time to build and bring their own army. Advance signup begins now. This is not completely free-form -- there are a set of army lists for each power. See the end of this note for a link.

WHEN: Historicon 2023. June 19-23rd. Exact date and time to be determined, based upon other events we will be running at that convention. It will be on Friday or Saturday.
WHERE: Lancaster County Convention Center
SCALE: 28-30mm figures on 80mm wide bases only. Bring your own army. Advance signup required.

ADVANCE SIGNUP: If you signup for an army, you've got it and nobody else can take it. So you are committed to coming. Which means if real life happens and your plans change (as sometimes happens), you must let me know so I can free up your slot for another player.

AVAILABLE ARMIES:
My initial aim is to have 14-16 players as follows. If sufficient signups come in, I will expand.

Forces of the West:
  • Elves of Mirkwood and Lothlorien: Glenn Cosentino
  • Gondor (Dol Amroth and the South): Chris Cosentino
  • Dwarven Kingdom of Erebor and the Iron Hills: Troy Heck (Adam Stephen on FB)
  • Rohan: Brian Peruski
  • Men of Rhovanian and Dale: <available>
  • Gondor (Ithilien and Minas Tirith): <available>
  • flex (a second Rohan or Elven or a third Gondor): <available>
Forces of the Shadow:
  • Misty Mountain Goblins: Keith Stemmel
  • Mount Gundabad Goblins: Paul Pecena
  • Mordor (Dol Guldur): Andrew Cosentino
  • Mordor (the Black Gate): Spencer Ginder
  • Saruman: Mike Sibilia. (Saruman is not present in the army -- he doesn't put himself at risk that way).
  • Easterlings: Mike Guth
  • Haradrim: Rod Cain
  • Mordor (Minas Morgul): <available>
  • Southrons: <available>
  • flex (Umbar, Khand, or): <available>
ARMY LISTS: Armies will be 51 pts from a described list. All battle cards must be paid for -- nothing for free.
To save space on the forum, here's the link to the Google Doc where I am developing the army lists for this event:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
DK