Special Event: Battle for Middle Earth, Historicon 2023

Please post info about upcoming TRIUMPH! events and tournaments
David Kuijt
Grand Master WGC

Re: Special Event: Battle for Middle Earth, Historicon 2023

Post by David Kuijt » Fri Mar 31, 2023 7:10 pm

I've been talking casually with Rod and DS, and here are some initial thoughts about other stuff associated with the campaign.

First, note that this discussion is aimed at those who have participated in our campaigns before -- some of the topics are a little confusing if you haven't. Don't worry about it if that's the case.

So at the start of many of our campaigns, some of the armies start out allied. That limits who you can fight on the first round, and sometimes onward to later rounds. For example (in this campaign) Gondor and Rohan wouldn't attack each other on the first round. And certainly main Gondor (Minas Tirith and Ithilien) wouldn't attack South Gondor (Pelargir, Anfalas, Dol Amroth) and vice versa. Not even with the deception and stuff that the Eye had in place (Denethor's madness; Wormtongue's work on Theoden).

Similarly, in spite of a rocky start at the Battle of the Five Armies 75 years or so earlier, the Dwarves, Men, and Elves around Erebor are friendly and allied. But Rohan isn't allied with them -- in fact, they know little of Dwarves, and are very suspicious of Elves (cf. Eomer's suspicions of Galadriel and Lothlorien). And Gondor might be more concerned with nearer foes, but the madness of Denethor might easily be turned to considering that uniting the men of Rhovanion under the banner of Gondor would be a good thing to hold back the Lidless Eye.

On the flip side, it's widely established that the forces of Sauron fight each other all the time, even within the borders of Mordor (cf. Cirith Ungol and Shagrat and Gorbag). It takes his direct intervention (in the person of his Nazgul) sometimes to prevent that.

So what I'm thinking right now (and I'll let you know if and as that changes), is the following.
  • any Gondor armies and any Rohan armies start out allied.
  • Dale/Rhovanion, Mirkwood Elves, and Erebor/Iron Mountain Dwarves start out allied.
  • any Evil army that has at least one Nazgul starts out allied with any other Evil army that has at least one Nazgul. If you have no Nazgul you are independent -- so the Haradrim (if they have no Nazgul) can attack Khand, or the Easterlings, or other Southron forces, as well as Mordor or the usual suspects (Gondor, Rohan, or the West).
As always, armies that have been conquered (vassalized) are no longer allies to their starting allies. If Saruman conquers Rohan, he wouldn't kill them all -- he'd complete his psychological conquest of Theoden, install Wormtongue as prime minister, and the forces of Rohan would now be fighting on his side. Same thing if the Witch-King breaks Minas Tirith -- he'd treat it as he did with Rhudaur when breaking Arnor in 1356 Third Age, installing one of his own flunkies and forcing the armies of Minas Tirith to do his will that way.

As an aside, I've been thinking about the thought that more than one player may want to purchase the Witch King for their army. But there is only one Witch King. The solution is easy -- if more than one Mordor army wants the Witch King, the one who pays the most points for it gets to claim his is the real McCoy. Anyone else has one of the other Nazgul. Mighty, terrible, etc. etc., but not Mr. W. King. This won't change anything in what you are allowed to take -- it's just about pride and boasting.
DK
David Kuijt
Grand Master WGC

Post by David Kuijt » Sat Apr 01, 2023 2:50 am

12 players signed up now; plus me and DS (waiting until the last minute to fill space -- I've got almost all those armies). Most recent signup is Aaron Cain. With Dave Schlanger and I makes 14.

DS and I are going to take something at the last minute to allow other signups to have maximum flexibility -- we've got almost every army anyway in 28mm.

The Battle for Middle Earth

This is an event that I've been wanting to run for a long time! Players pick one of a number of armies at the end of the Third Age, fighting for the West or for the Shadow. Exact details will be forthcoming as we get closer to the event. The main reason for this LONG advance notice is to give players time to build and bring their own army. Advance signup begins now. This is not completely free-form -- there are a set of army lists for each power. See the end of this note for a link.

WHEN: Historicon 2023. June 19-23rd. Exact date and time to be determined, based upon other events we will be running at that convention. It will be on Friday or Saturday.
WHERE: Lancaster County Convention Center
SCALE: 28-30mm figures on 80mm wide bases only. Bring your own army. Advance signup required.

ADVANCE SIGNUP: If you signup for an army, you've got it and nobody else can take it. So you are committed to coming. Which means if real life happens and your plans change (as sometimes happens), you must let me know so I can free up your slot for another player.

AVAILABLE ARMIES:
My initial aim is to have 14-16 players as follows. If sufficient signups come in, I will expand.

Forces of the West:
  • Elves of Mirkwood and Lothlorien: Glenn Cosentino
  • Gondor (Dol Amroth and the South): Chris Cosentino
  • Dwarven Kingdom of Erebor and the Iron Hills: Troy Heck (Adam Stephen on FB)
  • Rohan: Brian Peruski
  • Men of Rhovanian and Dale: Aaron Cain
  • Gondor (Ithilien and Minas Tirith): one of the Davids
  • flex (a second Rohan or Elven or a third Gondor): <available>
Forces of the Shadow:
  • Misty Mountain Goblins: Keith Stemmel
  • Mount Gundabad Goblins: Paul Pecena
  • Mordor (Dol Guldur): Andrew Cosentino
  • Mordor (the Black Gate): Spencer Ginder
  • Saruman: Mike Sibilia
  • Easterlings: Mike Guth
  • Haradrim: Rod Cain
  • Mordor (Minas Morgul): <available>
  • Southrons: <available>
  • flex (Umbar, Khand, or): <available>
ARMY LISTS: Armies will be 51 pts from a described list. All battle cards must be paid for -- nothing for free.
To save space on the forum, here's the link to the Google Doc where I am developing the army lists for this event:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
DK
Spencer
Squire

Post by Spencer » Mon Apr 10, 2023 4:31 pm

For the bad horse in the Mordor list, could I use those Armored Easterlings or would something Arabic be more appropriate as "subject men?"
David Kuijt
Grand Master WGC

Post by David Kuijt » Tue Apr 11, 2023 1:51 am

Spencer wrote:
Mon Apr 10, 2023 4:31 pm
For the bad horse in the Mordor list, could I use those Armored Easterlings or would something Arabic be more appropriate as "subject men?"
The GW Easterling Cataphracts? No, way too armored. I'd go with something like 28mm Goth or Vandal or similar cavalry, and add some Mordor shields and helmets. Or you could go with any historical Arab/Saracen figures and represent them as mercenary Southrons. Or both, on the same stand.
DK
Rod
Grand Master WGC

Post by Rod » Tue Apr 11, 2023 2:01 am

Would the bad horse in the Mordor armies be more like mounted Dunlanders? Not the more skilled eastern horsemen.
David Kuijt
Grand Master WGC

Post by David Kuijt » Tue Apr 11, 2023 11:49 am

Rod wrote:
Tue Apr 11, 2023 2:01 am
Would the bad horse in the Mordor armies be more like mounted Dunlanders? Not the more skilled eastern horsemen.
Right. Raised and supported local to Mordor, not raised and trained in the great plains of Harad and the South.

Thinking about them as Dunlanders with some Orc helmet and shield swaps (because those are the armories available to them) would fit well, I think.

Wargames Factory makes 28mm Ancient German Cavalry (plastics); Gripping Beast Plastics makes Dark Age Cavalry; either of those would be good, I suspect. Very easy to do helmet swaps and shield swaps on plastics.

But taking some GBP Arab Cavalry (unarmored) and doing the same sort of helmet and shield swaps would give you a nice irregular look also. Who knows what the Sauron-ruled humans in the eastern part of Mordor wear when they're at home, eh?
DK
David Kuijt
Grand Master WGC

Post by David Kuijt » Tue Apr 11, 2023 11:55 am

NOTE!

I've made a slight modification to the stats for the Khand ally, if anyone is considering taking it, as part of developing a Variags of Khand list. The bowmen are now Skirmishers, rather than Bow Levy. Goes well with the active poses and good equipment of the GW Khandish box (which is about 2:1 axemen to bowmen). The historical model (Raiders and Skirmishers) is similar to the Daylami (with significant differences in the mounted, of course).

The Variags of Khand list isn't available yet (except as ally components for the other lists), but if we get more signups, I will need to expand the campaign a bit to add more player slots.
DK
Spencer
Squire

Post by Spencer » Tue Apr 11, 2023 4:41 pm

David Kuijt wrote:
Tue Apr 11, 2023 11:49 am
Rod wrote:
Tue Apr 11, 2023 2:01 am
Right. Raised and supported local to Mordor, not raised and trained in the great plains of Harad and the South.

Thinking about them as Dunlanders with some Orc helmet and shield swaps (because those are the armories available to them) would fit well, I think.

Wargames Factory makes 28mm Ancient German Cavalry (plastics); Gripping Beast Plastics makes Dark Age Cavalry; either of those would be good, I suspect. Very easy to do helmet swaps and shield swaps on plastic

But taking some GBP Arab Cavalry (unarmored) and doing the same sort of helmet and shield swaps would give you a nice irregular look also. Who knows what the Sauron-ruled humans in the eastern part of Mordor wear when they're at home, eh?
These should work for Dunlendings.
David Kuijt
Grand Master WGC

Post by David Kuijt » Tue May 02, 2023 12:19 pm

16 players signed up now; after including me and DS. Most recent signups are Larry Weichel and a friend of Rod Cain.

DS and I are going to take something at the last minute to allow other signups to have maximum flexibility -- we've got almost every army anyway in 28mm.

The Battle for Middle Earth

This is an event that I've been wanting to run for a long time! Players pick one of a number of armies at the end of the Third Age, fighting for the West or for the Shadow. Exact details will be forthcoming as we get closer to the event. The main reason for this LONG advance notice is to give players time to build and bring their own army. Advance signup begins now. This is not completely free-form -- there are a set of army lists for each power. See the end of this note for a link.

WHEN: Historicon 2023. June 19-23rd. Exact date and time to be determined, based upon other events we will be running at that convention. It will be on Friday or Saturday.
WHERE: Lancaster County Convention Center
SCALE: 28-30mm figures on 80mm wide bases only. Bring your own army. Advance signup required.

ADVANCE SIGNUP: If you signup for an army, you've got it and nobody else can take it. So you are committed to coming. Which means if real life happens and your plans change (as sometimes happens), you must let me know so I can free up your slot for another player.

AVAILABLE ARMIES:
If more signups come in, I will expand; at this point note that we need an even number, so I can only add new players in pairs. Sign up if interested and I'll put you on a wait list until another person adds and gives us an even number again.

Forces of the West:
  • Elves of Mirkwood: Glenn Cosentino
  • Elves of Lothlorien: Larry Weichel
  • Gondor (Dol Amroth and the South): Chris Cosentino
  • Dwarven Kingdom of Erebor and the Iron Hills: Troy Heck (Adam Stephen on FB)
  • Rohan: Brian Peruski
  • Men of Rhovanian and Dale: Aaron Cain
  • Gondor (Ithilien and Minas Tirith): one of the Davids
  • flex (a second Rohan or Elven or a third Gondor): <available>
Forces of the Shadow:
  • Misty Mountain Goblins: Keith Stemmel
  • Mount Gundabad Goblins: Paul Pecena
  • Mordor (Dol Guldur): Andrew Cosentino
  • Mordor (the Black Gate): Spencer Ginder
  • Saruman: Mike Sibilia
  • Easterlings: Mike Guth
  • Haradrim: Rod Cain
  • Southrons: Mark xxx? <info from Rod Cain -- last name not received yet>
  • Mordor (Minas Morgul): one of the Davids
  • flex (Umbar, Khand, or another Southron): <available>
ARMY LISTS: Armies will be 51 pts from a described list. All battle cards must be paid for -- nothing for free.
To save space on the forum, here's the link to the Google Doc where I am developing the army lists for this event:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
DK
Brummbär
Companion-at-Arms

Post by Brummbär » Tue May 02, 2023 4:39 pm

Looks really great so far - please consider taking a lot of pictures, videos and maybe a complete campaign report!!!
Pleeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaase nice little hobizze 8-)