Tournaments at Fall In 2022

Please post info about upcoming TRIUMPH! events and tournaments
David Kuijt
Grand Master WGC

Tournaments at Fall In 2022

Post by David Kuijt » Sun Sep 04, 2022 12:15 pm

[EDIT -- press of time / HMGS Deadlines have forced us into decisions here; ignore the questions below. See following note. DK]

Hi all,

I'm in the final phases of deciding what to run at Fall In 2022. And I need your advice.

1) Epic Conflicts 9-12 Friday and Saturday mornings, as always. No change from the last dozen conventions.
2) Historical Theme tournament Friday night, 7pm. 15mm scale.
3) Historical open tournament Saturday night, 7pm. 15mm scale.
4) Fantasy open tournaments, Friday and Saturday afternoons, 2pm. Scale questions below.

So there are two questions I have. IF YOU ARE ATTENDING, please let me know the following:

1) do you have 80mm base width (usually 28mm scale figs) fantasy Triumph armies, that you would like to bring to an 80mm base width scale tournament?
2) do you have 40mm base width (usually 15mm scale fig) fantasy Triumph armies, that you would like to bring to a 40mm base width scale tournament?
3) what sort of historical Theme tournament do you have armies for, 15mm scale? It would be a fairly broad theme -- not Aztec Wars, for example. :)

If you are not attending, I'm happy to hear your thoughts, but I'm really interested in hearing what attendees think. Someone from Australia saying "you should do X" will be ignored, sorry. Unless they are attending, in which case their feedback becomes critical! (We always want to be good hosts).
DK
David Kuijt
Grand Master WGC

Re: Tournaments at Fall In 2022

Post by David Kuijt » Mon Sep 05, 2022 2:33 pm

Turns out the deadline for PEL submission (or NASAMW submission for tournaments) is today, so we've had to resolve our final schedule. Which is as follows:
  • Friday 9-12 Epic Conflicts walkups as usual
  • Friday 1-5 Classical Theme tournament (15mm scale; bring your own army)
  • Friday 7-11 Byzantium Reconquista (Wars of Justinian) scenario event (6-14 players, armies provided)
  • Saturday 9-12 Epic Conflicts walkups as usual
  • Saturday 1-5 Fantasy Triumph tournament (15mm scale; bring your own army)
  • Saturday 7-11 Open Triumph tournament (15mm scale; bring your own army)
Mike Guth and Spencer Ginder are running the Wars of Justinian (Byzantium Resurgent) scenarios -- 3-7 battles from history, armies and maps provided. Sounds great!

There will be prizes for the Classical Theme tournament, for the Fantasy 15mm tournament, and for the Open tournament.

For the Fantasy Tournament, bring your army list so I can check it over. Or better, send it to me in advance. That way I don't have to tell you at the convention, "no, you cannot have 32 pts of heroes".
DK
David Kuijt
Grand Master WGC

Post by David Kuijt » Mon Oct 03, 2022 12:31 pm

Spencer has offered to support a night-before tournament, as we often do for early arrivers. So the modified schedule is as follows:
  • Thursday evening informal tournament (open -- anything you like, 15mm scale)
  • Friday 7-11 Byzantium Reconquista (Wars of Justinian) scenario event (6-10 players, armies provided)
I am informed by Fall In organizers that we are in the Distlefink room.

There will be prizes for the Classical Theme tournament, for the Fantasy 15mm tournament, and for the Open tournament.

For the Fantasy Tournament, bring your army list so I can check it over. Or better, send it to me in advance. That way I don't have to tell you at the convention, "no, you cannot have 32 pts of heroes".
DK
David Kuijt
Grand Master WGC

Post by David Kuijt » Mon Oct 03, 2022 2:49 pm

Prizes for tournaments at Fall In?

What do people like? Some possibilities are:
  • Raw armies (unpainted lead)
  • Plaques
  • Flat armies (matched pairs)?
  • Not sure what else -- ideas?
DK
Spencer
Squire

Post by Spencer » Tue Oct 04, 2022 5:57 pm

David Kuijt wrote:
Mon Oct 03, 2022 2:49 pm
Prizes for tournaments at Fall In?

What do people like? Some possibilities are:
  • Raw armies (unpainted lead)
  • Plaques
  • Flat armies (matched pairs)?
  • Not sure what else -- ideas?
Maybe an Army Camp?
spenn
Levy

Post by spenn » Tue Oct 04, 2022 9:51 pm

I like measuring tools, legal sized playmats, etc..But don't take my suggestions too seriously. You should probably listen to people who actually have a shot at winning prizes. :lol:
Spencer
Squire

Post by Spencer » Wed Oct 05, 2022 4:26 pm

David,

For the Fantasy Tournament, do you have a tournament sheet format that you can share?
David Kuijt
Grand Master WGC

Post by David Kuijt » Wed Oct 05, 2022 5:40 pm

Spencer wrote:
Wed Oct 05, 2022 4:26 pm
David,

For the Fantasy Tournament, do you have a tournament sheet format that you can share?
I'm confused. Do you mean for making your army design? I make my army lists up on google docs so I can share them.
DK
Spencer
Squire

Post by Spencer » Sat Oct 29, 2022 9:47 pm

David Kuijt wrote:
Mon Oct 03, 2022 12:31 pm
Spencer has offered to support a night-before tournament, as we often do for early arrivers. So the modified schedule is as follows:
  • Friday 7-11 Byzantium Reconquista (Wars of Justinian) scenario event (6-10 players, armies provided)

For Thursday evening, Plan to gather around 7PM And we will get organized for 3 rounds of play.
This will be a 15mm Open event. Bring your own army if you can. I will have a couple loaners but, they will be crap.
David Kuijt
Grand Master WGC

Post by David Kuijt » Tue Nov 01, 2022 11:48 pm

Reminder:

Schedule is as follows:

Bill Hupp and his partners (Thistle and Rose Ancients in 15mm; Vendel in 28mm) have very graciously agreed to sponsor our Triumph events at Fall In, so that there will be prizes for the winners -- and for everyone else, as well! In particular:
  • Classical and Open tournaments: a half-pack of Vendel Greeks/Hoplites (28mm) for every participant; an Elephant pack (with crew, also 28mm) for the winner
  • Byzantine Reconquista scenario event: a pack of Thistle and Rose Sassanid Persians (15mm) for every participant; a set of T&R Sassanids for the winner
  • Saturday Fantasy tournament: a selection of Dwarves, Orcs, and others for every participant (28mm figs); a big-ass Troll for the winner

Note that our events are all 15mm -- the price size varies based upon which figures Bill thought would mesh best with the theme (and which would be the most attractive to players).

Please join me in thanking Thistle and Rose / Vendel for their support! Contact them at ThistleandRoseMiniatures@gmail.com

Also, as a final note: the Classical Theme (Friday afternoon) allows any armies in the following Thematic Categories:
  • Alexander and Successors
  • Hellenistic World
  • Rise of Rome
  • Pax Romana
Here's an image from Vendel Minis Border Reiver range (not in period for Triumph except as a Fantasy Triumph army, but still cool):
IMG_3053.jpeg
IMG_3053.jpeg (1.04 MiB) Viewed 4168 times
DK