Post by David Schlanger » Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:59 pm

Cold Wars 2019 - Lancaster PA

Thursday:
8 PM - 11 PM
Crusader Kingdoms
A Crusades period themed tournament
Rules: TRIUMPH!
15mm, 3 rounds, Unlimited players
Eligible armies must be from the Crusader Kingdoms theme as listed on Meshwesh. Armies must be comprised of 48 or fewer points of stands from a Crusader Kingdoms Triumph! army listed on Meshwesh. http://meshwesh.wgcwar.com
Bring your own army unless you contact us in advance for a loaner.
GM: Spencer Ginder

Friday:
7 PM - 11 PM
15mm Triumph! Open tournament
15mm, 4 rounds, Unlimited players, New players welcome!
Eligible armies must be comprised of 48 or fewer points of stands from any Triumph! army listed on Meshwesh. http://meshwesh.wgcwar.com
Bring your own army unless you contact us in advance.
GM: David Kuijt

Saturday:
6 PM – 11 PM
Medieval European Campaign
A Triumph! Campaign Theme Event
15mm, 4 rounds, Unlimited players, New players welcome!
Armies Allowed: Anything European between 1106 and 1450.
Some North African and Eastern European armies may also be permitted depending upon their geographical proximity to central Europe. Please keep in mind that if you sign up we need you for the full campaign, unless you find someone to take your place.
Eligible armies must be comprised of 48 or fewer points of stands from Medieval European Triumph! armies listed on Meshwesh. http://meshwesh.wgcwar.com Bring your own army unless you contact us in advance for a loaner.
GM: David Kuijt and David Schlanger
David Kuijt
Grand Master WGC

Re: TRIUMPH! Events at Cold Wars 2019

Post by David Kuijt » Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:36 am

Eight players at the pre-event Crusades tournament last night, plus two more who were playing on the side due to arriving later (DS and a new guy, Mike). Farthest Traveler Award goes to Terry Griner, from Spokane!

I love the variety of armies in this theme. I took Later Crusaders (I had brought Fatimids as well, and let Spencer pick which I should use based upon the ratio of Crusaders vs. Muslims).

My first battle was against John Stafford's Caliphate of Baghdad; on the left flank my mighty Bow Levy stood long enough (although eventually losing 2/3 of their number) that my archers on the right could fight, fight, fight, and occasionally shoot, driving off John's Javelin Cavalry repeatedly until eventually starting to cause some casualties. The center never really got involved.

My second battle was against Al Lyon's Later Crusaders; the fight ended up around a small steep hill where my two archers and two heavy foot were eventually victorious against Al's two archers and two heavy foot.

My third battle was against Marc Burton's Ilkhanids -- twelve horsebow. This battle was starting to become a horror of trying to maneuver against a foe that was dancing to the far flank leaving me paralyzed, until one of my archers popped a crossbow bolt into his General. That made him much less maneuverable, and nothing went his way after that.
DK