Battle in a Zip File - Irish Epic

RogerCooper
Squire

Battle in a Zip File - Irish Epic

Post by RogerCooper » Sun Dec 04, 2022 4:51 pm

I have a created a zip file with files that can be printed out for a game of Triumph. You could use plain paper, but the printouts are designed to use label stock to be put onto standard Triumph bases (or 3/4" wooden blocks for heroes). A have created database to allow me to this for any battle.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/15jwKU8 ... share_link

This particular battle is based upon the Irish epics of the Red Branch cycle (and the army list from HOTT) but not any specific event from the cycle. Both armies comply with the rules for Fantasy Triumph.

When I played this, I had the Conchata forces stand on the defense and let Queen Maeve win with magic. Even though she panicked Cuchulain himself, the Ulaid forces broke her flank, bypassed the Sons of Calatin (the only close order unit in the entire battle and deadly as well) and struck defeated her in melee.
skc
Squire

Re: Battle in a Zip File - Irish Epic

Post by skc » Fri Aug 18, 2023 2:26 pm

Thanks for this. I'm currently trying to create a 'Celtic Mythology' army out of my Gallic & British. Your Army List is especially helpful to give me ideas.
RogerCooper
Squire

Post by RogerCooper » Fri Aug 18, 2023 10:12 pm

I have some improvements on this. I will post the information tomorrow.
RogerCooper
Squire

Post by RogerCooper » Sat Aug 19, 2023 11:59 am

Here is my much improved version of this https://drive.google.com/file/d/1g3dXGp ... sp=sharing

Rather than printing labels to put on labels, the bases can be printed directly using Medium Cardstock. I have files for both 40mm and 60mm wide bases. You can put the miniatures directly on the bases or use printed bases directly as the medium card stock is heavy enough not to move around on its own.

As for the army lists themselves, the big change is that I have eliminated heroes for the following reasons.

1. Heroes create compatibility problems with non-fantasy armies. Dueling value is important for a hero, but those points are worthless when facing a standard army.

2. The difficulty of comparing heroes between settings.

3. Heroes usually stuck with a particular unit or were a one-man army that didn't need a unit.

4. It simplifies the printing process, as it not clear how large a hero unit would be.

5. The hero rules are not difficult, but they are still one more thing to explain to new players.

6. With some piece sets (for example, using the pieces from the War of the Ring boardgame), the hero pieces are similar to other pieces. Making them units with special powers works visually and gives an opportunity to introduce a different unit type.

The particular lists I used here derived from the Irish Epic list in the game Hordes of the Things. HOTT lists are easily converted to Triumph. For Celtic myth, look at the Welsh Mythology list. Some other lists that would work for Celtic myth are Generic Elf (Tuath de Danaan), Generic Goblin (Fomorians), Generic Undead (Arawn in Welsh myth), Generic Barbarian (the tribe next door), Norse Myth-Giants (Fomorians), Hyborian-Picts (Fir Bolg).

The Book of Invasions https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lebor_Gab ... %C3%89renn has a lot of interesting material, which could be used to make army lists for the Tuatha Dé Danann, Fomorians, Fir Bolg and Milesians.