Tactics to protect my open flank...

Share some insight about your best TRIUMPH! strategy.
brasidas19004
Levy

Tactics to protect my open flank...

Post by brasidas19004 » Fri Sep 01, 2023 5:04 pm

So, Triumph, like other position-oriented ancient battle games [no names mentioned...] uses the tension of numbers v. command control to create problems for the player; the classic issue being an open flank, where one's opponent is even just 1 Unit wider and overlapping your own line.

Given that it is very important to try and protect the last unit in the battle line from being flanked, enveloped, etc, what are some strategies in Triumph! that will help me do that? This already assumes that I can't protect my flank on impassible terrain...it is open and the enemy battle line is wider than mine!
David Kuijt
Grand Master WGC

Re: Tactics to protect my open flank...

Post by David Kuijt » Sat Sep 02, 2023 11:53 am

brasidas19004 wrote:
Fri Sep 01, 2023 5:04 pm
So, Triumph, like other position-oriented ancient battle games [no names mentioned...] uses the tension of numbers v. command control to create problems for the player; the classic issue being an open flank, where one's opponent is even just 1 Unit wider and overlapping your own line.

Given that it is very important to try and protect the last unit in the battle line from being flanked, enveloped, etc, what are some strategies in Triumph! that will help me do that? This already assumes that I can't protect my flank on impassible terrain...it is open and the enemy battle line is wider than mine!
If the enemy battle line is wider than yours, then yours is worth more points -- which means more powerful. So you can try what the Romans tried on Cannae -- punch through the center (with your greater power) before you lose on the flanks. Didn't work for them, but can work for you -- if you fight smart and have strong center troops.

Another pathway is to delay on one or both flanks. Not to hang back too far -- that just exposes an open flank earlier -- but to force the enemy to use more command points than he wants to. Refusing the flank is the easiest method, although also the easiest to counter (cheapest for the enemy). Pull a stand or two out, protecting the hanging flank with your ZOC, forcing the enemy to send a couple of stands as individual moves (more command points) to answer them. Even better if those stands are shooting types (who can fight without spending command points). Even even better squared if you can manage your enemies command control range, and the skirmish where he outnumbers you requires extra command points for him. Success here means that you are matching, say, an enemy three stands with two of your own, and it costs him lots of command points to press the attack, and if you are attacking elsewhere (sucking up more of his command points to respond) he won't always get enough command points to do what he wants to do there. It is really a good sign when the battle on that flank stagnates (becomes a backwater, out of command control, forgotten while the main action is elsewhere) because the enemy doesn't have enough command points.

None of those are "winning" strategies -- Triumph is a game where it is usually impossible to win everywhere; part of managing command control is to decide where you are going to try and win, and where you are going to try and not-lose. If you have a flank (as you describe) that is open with an enemy battle line is wider than yours, then that's a strong candidate for where you are going to try and not-lose.
DK
brasidas19004
Levy

Post by brasidas19004 » Sat Sep 02, 2023 12:55 pm

Thanks David, and good to hear from you as always.

I was rather thinking this was the answer, but wanted to check.

I've fallen out of 15mm ancients, having been very active at cons and such several years ago [seems like ages ago!] and am just getting back into it.

Have a great long weekend!
Bill Hupp
Sergeant

Post by Bill Hupp » Mon Oct 02, 2023 1:21 pm

Per DK: not to hang too far back

My grandson surprised me by pinning back both my flank forces with a single horse unit on each of his flanks advanced to within 10 mu of my flanking groups. I believe he learned that tactic playing Rome Total War (a computer game.)

Having enough room for effective defense is something I now check for in my deployments.

Both my older grandsons enjoy Triumph and ask to play.

Bill
Bill Hupp
Thistle & Rose Miniatures