London

Looking for opponents nearby, post here
Texus Maximus
Sergeant

London

Post by Texus Maximus » Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:57 am

I will be in London for the week before Christmas. Besides finding other Triumph! players, can anyone recommend historical sights to see? The Imperial War Museum is on the list, as is the battlefield of Hastings.
David Kuijt
Grand Master WGC

Re: London

Post by David Kuijt » Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:25 am

The British Museum has a superb collection of Assyrian wall carvings from Nineveh or Assur or other places, including scenes of camps, battles, and hunting lions from chariots.

I love the London Museum also; it has a wonderful collection of Medieval stuff.

Whenever I'm in Westminster Abbey I visit Edward Longshanks, Hammer of the Scots, considered the greatest knight in Christendom during his life. Who also funded the building of some of the most beautiful castles in Wales, as part of his solution to the Welsh problem. Caerphilly, Harlech, Caernavon, Flint, Conway, Beaumaris, Rhuddlan, and more. I also make sure to visit Cromwell's grave, to spit on it. I'm perfectly happy with his attitude towards making Charles II eight or ten inches shorter, but Cromwell had an indirect impact upon the destruction of much of the stained glass in England, and a direct impact upon the slighting of dozens of Medieval castles (mostly not those in Wales, because at that point it was a backwater). Hate Cromwell.

Not that Cromwell is in that grave. Upon the restoration of the monarchy his body was dug up, his head was cut off and put on a spike, and his body was thrown in a lime pit.
DK
Rod
Grand Master WGC

Post by Rod » Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:49 am

I would second The British Museum. I also really enjoyed the Tower of London Armory.
Gregorius
Companion-at-Arms

Post by Gregorius » Sat Oct 20, 2018 12:01 am

A day trip out to Windsor Castle is well worth the effort. Also the Templar church, the last resting place of William Marshall.

Cheers,
Greg in the antipodes.
Bill Hupp
Sergeant

Post by Bill Hupp » Sun Oct 28, 2018 7:49 pm

Agree on the Tower of London. So much to see we went back for a second tour. (Without ever seeing the Crown Jewels.)

Bill
Bill Hupp
Thistle & Rose Miniatures