My Undead so far

Discussion of the upcoming fantasy version of TRIUMPH!
skc
Squire

My Undead so far

Post by skc » Sun Sep 19, 2021 4:55 pm

If anyone wants to take a look and advise.
Please find my 48pt Undead List. ( subject to change) This is based roughly on what figures I have and am still trying to sort out. (will send picture when I'm done.)
Hopefully points are correct. Will double check before the Battletable.
Thanks for taking a look.
Undead 48pt1.png
Undead 48pt1.png (72.39 KiB) Viewed 2494 times
David Kuijt
Grand Master WGC

Re: My Undead so far

Post by David Kuijt » Mon Sep 20, 2021 12:33 pm

Just a thought -- you are probably not going to be happy with your Regenerating Zombie Horde. Unless you fight most of your battles way down along your baseline they are not going to get back into the battle after they regenerate, given their movement rate of 1mu. Never, never, never get back into battle.
DK
skc
Squire

Post by skc » Tue Sep 21, 2021 7:46 am

Good point but Regeneration is really, very much a 'Zombie thing!' Will speed them up a bit somehow. e.g. Maybe 'Slow' the Jav Cav instead etc. (already finding some errors. Raiders are actually Open.)
David Kuijt
Grand Master WGC

Post by David Kuijt » Tue Sep 21, 2021 11:46 am

skc wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 7:46 am
Good point but Regeneration is really, very much a 'Zombie thing!' Will speed them up a bit somehow.
Ya, I wouldn't give up Regen. It's cool.
skc wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 7:46 am
(already finding some errors. Raiders are actually Open.)
Math is wrong on Zombies, too. 2 pt base, +1 for Regen, -1 for Fierce and Slow, is 2pts per stand, not 1.

Another possibility (other than regen) is to have an enormous army -- way bigger than almost any foe. That's a fun trope as well for Evil Necromancers, even if you sacrifice Regen. No Regen on Zombies; Zombies cost 1 pt each (2 pt base, Slow and Fierce), and you have a zillion of them (9, as you have it, or 12). Have a huge wall of Fierce Zombies that marches forward and will absorb and destroy any foe that attacks, like an enormous pillow of death. This would work really well with having a Necromancer with Major Mindblast behind the Zombies -- Mindblast doesn't need line of sight and so can fire over a wall of Zombies, and nobody could get to him without killing half a dozen stands of Zombies.
DK
Rod
Grand Master WGC

Post by Rod » Tue Sep 21, 2021 12:57 pm

I also think of regen Horde as a way to throw Horde into battle and then if they get lost bring them back on to keep the "points" on the table. Even though DK is right they likely would never make it back to the fight and might end up clustered around the camp.

Also, regen may be tricky to use unless you get a lucky PIP roll or two at the right time. Usually that stage of the game is filled with lots of command point demands and like the old Monty Python song every PIP is sacred!

They still represent an annoying pain in the behind for the opposing army in that killing them might not be permanent and they can even cause some damage. So my initial plan is to use them as a totally expendable front line.
skc
Squire

Post by skc » Tue Sep 21, 2021 2:15 pm

U right DK, I must have used -1 not -1/2, for each of Slow and Fierce on those Zombies. Oh well back to the drawing board! (brain gets befuddled after a while, trying to work it all out.)
Zombies just will not let go of their 'Regenerate.' After all its in their nature. I see they don't only come back on base, but also follow Flank march rules and may come on the sides. (which should make it better and more interesting;)

I'm planning to fit in a Demon (my WH Minitour?) for Undead and a Sorceress for Dark Elves. (my lovely Moranthi when she arrives) Possibly in 48pt but definitely in 144pts when I ever get that far. Maybe used something like "Delayed Entry" to reduce points although risky. (whew one has to really do some mind juggling to fit all this in!)
Undead 48pt111.png
Undead 48pt111.png (78.35 KiB) Viewed 2432 times
David Kuijt
Grand Master WGC

Post by David Kuijt » Tue Sep 21, 2021 5:55 pm

Now I've decided I need a mass source of Skellies in 28mm so I can try out the 10,000 Bone Wall technique (16 stands of Horde Fierce for 24 pts, double-ranked). Skellies paint up really fast. With a Necromancer doing spells of death and disease (Major Mindblast). I've already got a good Necromancer carried by Skeletons.

But for 16 stands, call it 100+ figs, they gotta be cheap. I ain't paying $3 a fig for 100 skellies.
DK
skc
Squire

Post by skc » Wed Sep 22, 2021 6:39 am

That would look stunning. (& in 28mm, the stuff of nightmares!) You could mix in spare dead humans too etc.
With my 15mm I just fit in loose historical figs (always some lying around) and give them a deathly, torn clothes look.

Photo. My Zombies in a state of "resurrection.";) I traded years back, some Pike for 15mm goblins, so have been mixing them in as well as the odd 25mm goblin. Probably still throw in some skellies and odd human undead. Still rebasing, much touching up to do.
Zombies.jpg
Zombies.jpg (1.16 MiB) Viewed 2423 times
Have been drooling all over Etsy. Some superb 28mm Skeletons and this 3DPrint detail is superb. If the price is per 10 (?), almost affordable even with our dismal exchange rate. (but... I'm basically a metal man and don't have time, space or money anymore to now build up large scale.)
https://www.etsy.com/listing/915371293/ ... ch_click=1
David Kuijt
Grand Master WGC

Post by David Kuijt » Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:29 am

skc wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 6:39 am
Have been drooling all over Etsy. Some superb 28mm Skeletons and this 3DPrint detail is superb. If the price is per 10 (?), almost affordable even with our dismal exchange rate. (but... I'm basically a metal man and don't have time, space or money anymore to now build up large scale.)
https://www.etsy.com/listing/915371293/ ... ch_click=1
Those are very nice for heavily armored skeletons -- elite foot, perhaps. I wouldn't use them for skellie horde -- too slow to paint, too much detail, too studly looking for horde. A group of 10 for $9 is a great price. I'm a bit worried about them being listed as 35mm scale, though -- what the hell scale is that?

Thanks for putting me onto Etsy. This sort of thing is more what I'm looking for:
https://www.etsy.com/listing/1013632560 ... cs_2&crt=1
Very fast to paint -- spraypaint white, paint weapons and details, then dip.

I guess my Undead army is going on the rebasing schedule as soon as I finish rebasing the Fantasy Egyptians. The call of a wall of bone is too much to bear. And I've got some awesome figures in that army.
DK
Rod
Grand Master WGC

Post by Rod » Wed Sep 22, 2021 11:51 am