Dark Elves/Undead Triumph! Fantasy List from old DBM Fantasy List

Discussion of the upcoming fantasy version of TRIUMPH!
David Kuijt
Grand Master WGC

Re: Dark Elves/Undead Triumph! Fantasy List from old DBM Fantasy List

Post by David Kuijt » Wed Sep 08, 2021 4:00 pm

skc wrote:
Wed Sep 08, 2021 3:10 pm
My WWg could be that apparition on the left. (scratch built out of Matchbox & Lego etc)
Warwagon might not be the best classification for it -- if it runs over things, it is more like an Elephant. Warwagons cannot move if the enemy is in contact with them, and they cannot move INTO contact with enemy stands, and they have ranged combat -- none of which sounds like that stand, because it looks like it moves into contact with stuff, crushes it, and moves on.

Make it an Elephant (Behemoth, if you will).
skc wrote:
The Dragon being 25mm is HUGE. (Talked my wife into buying it as an ornament, but....;) Should look good towering above the 15mm. May have to designate a 40mm area on the oversize base though. Also 25mm are the Minatour and Orc on the right. Anyway if I mix in some 25mm should add to the effect. (Fantasy after all!)
Regarding the minotaur and big orc -- what do you want them to be? How do they fight?

Possibles that occur to me are:
  • Elephant
  • Knight with Massive and Slow
  • Cataphract with Massive
If they looked faster, other classes would be possible. If they had shooting weapons, still more.
skc wrote:
DBM is still played here at various clubs including ours. I tried DBMM but it was even more complicated, and never caught on.
It's still played in a number of places -- but in the big East Coast USA conventions it went from 40-60 players in most tournaments in the mid 2000s to zero by the late 2010s.
DK
skc
Squire

Post by skc » Wed Sep 08, 2021 5:06 pm

Superseded by DBMM, La Geurre etc. Also as I've noticed over the years, a massive loss of tabletop historical gamers to PC gaming, "Space Fantasy" etc. Anyway us remaining Elite will keep on, keeping on!
David Kuijt
Grand Master WGC

Post by David Kuijt » Wed Sep 08, 2021 7:00 pm

skc wrote:
Wed Sep 08, 2021 5:06 pm
Superseded by DBMM, La Geurre etc.
Not so much, at least not in the US.

AdlG has never gained much popularity; some play it, there are some tournaments, but it isn't more than 20% of the support that DBM used to have and often less.

DBMM, other than a few experimental tournaments when it first came out, is completely absent. I've heard that it has some following in the UK, but I wouldn't know from personal experience.
skc wrote:
Also as I've noticed over the years, a massive loss of tabletop historical gamers to PC gaming, "Space Fantasy" etc.
"Loss" here implies that people who once played tabletop historical games have stopped and now play other things instead. I'm not sure that's true. Certainly few who played tabletop historical games ever got into Warhammer -- unless they already had armies before ever starting historical gaming. Historical gamers are tight (unwilling to spend money); Wallethammer does not permit that.

While PC gaming is doing well, I wouldn't say that any shift from tabletop to PC gaming has occurred. The age groups who do most of the PC gaming are under 30, and almost nobody under 30 was an aficionado of DBM back in say 2005.

Of course, the gaming scene in South Africa may be entirely different -- shipping costs have always made it hard to be an historical gamer down there.
skc wrote:
Anyway us remaining Elite will keep on, keeping on!
Fer sher.
DK
skc
Squire

Post by skc » Fri Sep 10, 2021 12:11 pm

Have worked out a 48Pts. Here is photo of the Elve's out of their 'mothballs' and List from my Database. The magic etc certainly reduce the army size somewhat! Gave the Witches 'Up' & 'Deadly.' (they're are Witches after all and maybe a broomstick stashed away somewhere;) 'Slowed' Cataphracts & Heavy Foot for points. Still Provisional and need to play around a bit with it.
IMG_20210910_135233.jpg
IMG_20210910_135233.jpg (326.83 KiB) Viewed 1306 times
Attachments
Dark Elves 48pt1.png
Dark Elves 48pt1.png (66.4 KiB) Viewed 1295 times