LOTR Army Lists for TRIUMPH!

Discussion of the upcoming fantasy version of TRIUMPH!
David Kuijt
Grand Master WGC

Re: LOTR Army Lists for TRIUMPH!

Post by David Kuijt » Sat Jan 19, 2019 6:47 pm

Lakemen at the Battle of the Five Armies

Note that the Lakemen under Bard the Bowman were in transition from their earlier form at Laketown (where they would have had only a relatively small force handling trade issues) and their later form as the resurgent Kingdom of Dale. As such their force includes a bunch of Levy infantry who represent armed refugees from the destruction of Laketown.
  • 1x Archer: Elite Company of Bard the Bowman
  • 6x Heavy Foot: Laketown infantry, town guard, and better militia
  • 3x Horde: Laketown levy and armed refugees
  • 4x Bow Levy: Lakemen levy bowmen
  • 4x Light Foot: Rhovanion woodsmen

The Elite Company of Bard the Bowman is unsubstantiated in the LOTR but is a reasonable assumption -- Bard was a capable leader and adept bowman, implying the possibility of other adept bowmen at Laketown. In the weeks since the fall of Laketown Bard could easily have formed a unit of the better archers even if such a unit did not exist before; given that the best way to defend Laketown would have been with missile fire, it seems likely that some sort of Laketown trained archers would have existed before Laketown was destroyed, and remnants of that force would probably have known Bard and certainly could have been mustered by him into a capable company of archers under his own command.
DK
Bill Hupp
Sergeant

Post by Bill Hupp » Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:15 pm

The chariots would be more Battle Taxi and would be based on some of the bigger 4 horse chariots we have for the Persians and Indians.

There are a number of the classical Indians that could work too. There are some very cool figures with two handed swords and axes.

The Egyptian Marines will be perfect in the scarlet and gold colors mentioned in the book.

The Vendel figures have separate shields and weapons which creates even more opportunities for cross over.

Bill
Bill Hupp
Thistle & Rose Miniatures
Bill Hupp
Sergeant

Post by Bill Hupp » Sun Feb 17, 2019 2:34 am

Paul Potter has delivered the first 2 batches of figures. Hurrah! I’m basing them up and the 80mm basing works great. The only thing we are doing different than the norm is using 5 goblins rather than 3 on a rabble base. A 3 figure stand makes a pretty pathetic looking rabble.

Bill
Bill Hupp
David Kuijt
Grand Master WGC

Post by David Kuijt » Sun Feb 17, 2019 2:59 am

Bill Hupp wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 2:34 am
Paul Potter has delivered the first 2 batches of figures. Hurrah! I’m basing them up and the 80mm basing works great. The only thing we are doing different than the norm is using 5 goblins rather than 3 on a rabble base. A 3 figure stand makes a pretty pathetic looking rabble.

Bill
If those are the GW LOTR Goblins, those are sufficiently smaller than normal 28mm that I do a similar thing -- 4 figs on a Warband base (normally 3 full-size ones) for the elite armored goblins, and 4 figs on a Rabble base (normally 3 full-size ones) for rank and file goblins, and 4 figs on a Bow Levy base (normally 3 full-size ones) for formed units of goblin bow (which appear in small numbers in the Pelennor Field battle).

For goblin Horde I paint up something like seven goblins and one larger orc figure in the back as an overseer driving them forward. I've got one orc that comes with a whip who is perfect, but almost any orc with melee weapons in the back rank acting threatening will do fine.
DK
Bill Hupp
Sergeant

Post by Bill Hupp » Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:41 pm

The figures are the Vendel goblins and orcs, which are smaller than the men. Big Orcs are Bigger.

I did put 4 on Warband stands, 5 on the Rabble and 3 on the bow levy stands. Lots of big big stands in 80mmx60mm standard. The 4 on Warband also gives some flexibility with the Raider classification. No time to finish the basing now, but pics will follow!

DK, if you could post up some of your pics on Facebook that would be great!

Bill
Bill Hupp
David Kuijt
Grand Master WGC

Post by David Kuijt » Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:14 pm

Bill Hupp wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:41 pm
Tried to do that around noon (it's a snow day for me); found my camera battery was dead and has been recharging since. Still hope to get some pics before daylight leaves, but it's 4pm already, so not sure that'll happen today.

[an hour later] camera battery recharged, but it's too dark out now (I don't have chroma-accurate artificial daylight, so I use the retro stuff). Maybe on Friday (tomorrow I teach all day).
DK
David Kuijt
Grand Master WGC

Post by David Kuijt » Fri Feb 22, 2019 4:29 pm

Bill Hupp wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:41 pm
David Kuijt wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:14 pm
Maybe on Friday (tomorrow I teach all day).
Never buy a camera smarter than you are. Couldn't get the damn thing to take pictures, and I've run out of time this morning. I have to read the manual to get my camera restarted. Was working fine in November. Maybe on Saturday morning.
DK