Video Preview of Fantasy Triumph!

Discussion of the upcoming fantasy version of TRIUMPH!
Rod
Grand Master WGC

Video Preview of Fantasy Triumph!

Post by Rod » Sat Oct 17, 2020 3:56 pm

Brummbär
Companion-at-Arms

Re: Video Preview of Fantasy Triumph!

Post by Brummbär » Sat Oct 17, 2020 5:02 pm

Great starter :D
Can't wait to see the draft rules for the battlecards!!!
chris6
Squire

Post by chris6 » Sat Oct 17, 2020 5:59 pm

Very promising! You might even drag me back to fantasy.... :twisted:
Lembit Tohver
Levy

Post by Lembit Tohver » Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:53 pm

Good intro. My buddy and I both looking forward to these rules.
Brummbär
Companion-at-Arms

Post by Brummbär » Wed Nov 25, 2020 5:21 pm

Waiting for the main part ;)
Brummbär
Companion-at-Arms

Post by Brummbär » Sun Nov 29, 2020 7:54 am

Honestly: really interested in the video about the fantasy rules! Any plans here?
David Kuijt
Grand Master WGC

Post by David Kuijt » Sun Nov 29, 2020 2:48 pm

Brummbär wrote:
Sun Nov 29, 2020 7:54 am
Honestly: really interested in the video about the fantasy rules! Any plans here?
Rod will have to talk about the video part. I believe he's been waiting for the last wave of work on the rules to finish; we've got some significant stuff resolved in the last month. In particular, the system for Flying has been tweaked and the system for Heroes (individual notable entities running around the battle) is now semi-finalized. I'd say finalized, as we're pretty happy about how it turned out, but nothing is final until playtested. And point values always need to be reassessed even if the rules don't change after playtesting.

Flying and Heroes were the last major components -- we're running an internal game testing Flying soon, and we'll be running a Heroes test after, and then including both components in the same battle in a third game. Playtesting is damn difficult during covid, by the way. We had a set of Flying rules before this last month, but we did some analysis and tightened them up a bit. The Heroes rules were largely conceptualized before this month but we solidified them quite a bit and introduced a simple Duel system that we're really pleased with -- it adds a lot of flavor without slowing the game down. Very short sketch of the rules are as follows: Heroes are mobile battle cards (sometimes one, sometimes more) that can give the use of their card(s) to units they are attached to. For example, Gandalf in Pelennor Field could have "Hearten" (consider combat rolls lost by 1 pt to be tied instead). He'd be a foot hero in that battle (he had sent Shadowfax away). Aragorn, Gimli, and Legolas all together as a group could have "Deadly" (+1 to all close combat); also a foot hero, although since they stuck to their stand of Rangers under Halbarad the whole battle they might not be represented separately (their combat advantage becomes subsumed in the General's benefit for that stand). The Witch-King of Angmar would be a mounted hero with "Deadly" and "Terror" and "Duelist" (making him more deadly in hero-v-hero fighting). He switched from a horse to a Fell Beast when Rohan arrived; he'd be a flying hero in the main battle.

I'm currently drafting a bunch of examples of how to represent a variety of fantasy beings in the Fantasy Triumph rules. So far I've got Wargs (giant wolves, with or without goblins riding them), Giant Eagles, Dragons, Flying Monkeys, Pterodactyls, Infinite Undead Hordes, Centaurs, Sylvan Elves, High Elves -- do you have any other tropes from fantasy fiction that you think would be good to treat? The main purpose of the example-list is to give assistance to players who are just starting with Fantasy Triumph. The system is so flexible that there are lots of ways it is possible to represent any given fantasy trope, so the example-list is an effort to ease entry by showing examples of effective ways to represent specific fantasy units.
DK
Brummbär
Companion-at-Arms

Post by Brummbär » Sun Nov 29, 2020 6:36 pm

Exciting news - really looking forward to this!
I will think about what iconic forces I am missing, but your list was already pretty good.
Cross my fingers that you find a way to do the playtesting even during these hard times - thanks for keeping up the good work!!!
Brummbär
Companion-at-Arms

Post by Brummbär » Sat Dec 19, 2020 12:36 pm

How is the playtesting going?
More finetuning or happy with the results?
David Kuijt
Grand Master WGC

Post by David Kuijt » Sun Dec 20, 2020 2:20 am

Brummbär wrote:
Sat Dec 19, 2020 12:36 pm
How is the playtesting going?
More finetuning or happy with the results?
Very good. We're still tweaking some stuff associated with the Flying rules, and the point values of some of the Fantasy Triumph battle cards -- tweaking point values is likely to continue up until the last minute, as every playtest can potentially gain us some insight.

We still have more playtesting to do with respect to the Hero rules -- the usual rule is one variable per game, more or less, so a Flying playtest can't really be combined with a Shooting playtest until both those are stable independently. Flying, Shooting, and Heroes are the main things right now -- and Shooting is stable, but the point cost for the "Deadly Archer" battle card is under analysis.
DK