Question Regarding Rule 10.5 in Triumph Fantasy - Flying and Fallback

Discussion of the upcoming fantasy version of TRIUMPH!
Drake
Levy

Question Regarding Rule 10.5 in Triumph Fantasy - Flying and Fallback

Post by Drake » Thu Sep 21, 2023 12:21 pm

Hi all,

I'm seeking clarification on Rule 10.5 in the Triumph Fantasy book. Specifically, I'd like to understand what happens when a stand with the "flying" attribute is forced to fall back but is in rear or flank contact with an non-flying enemy stand. Does the flying stand get destroyed, or does it simply move away from the contact?

Thanks in advance for your assistance!
David Kuijt
Grand Master WGC

Re: Question Regarding Rule 10.5 in Triumph Fantasy - Flying and Fallback

Post by David Kuijt » Sat Sep 23, 2023 1:42 pm

Drake wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2023 12:21 pm
Hi all,

I'm seeking clarification on Rule 10.5 in the Triumph Fantasy book. Specifically, I'd like to understand what happens when a stand with the "flying" attribute is forced to fall back but is in rear or flank contact with an non-flying enemy stand. Does the flying stand get destroyed, or does it simply move away from the contact?

Thanks in advance for your assistance!
I don't quite understand the question; the rule seems clear to me:
When Open Order Flying stands suffer a combat result of Fall Back, and their Fall Back is blocked by any friendly stand or any non-Flying enemy stand, the Open Order Flying stand instead moves directly to Away. Enemy Flying stands block fall back as normal.
So maybe you're asking "what happens if a Flying stand is being attacked on its front and its flank by enemies"? If that's what you're asking, the Flying stand is just dead by the regular Triumph rules 80.2.a -- being a Flying stand doesn't make you immune to that.

Could you clarify your question? Best of all, have a picture?
DK
Drake
Levy

Post by Drake » Tue Sep 26, 2023 11:56 am

Thank you for your response.
So maybe you're asking "what happens if a Flying stand is being attacked on its front and its flank by enemies"?
Yes, I meant when a flying stand is attacked by two enemy stands. The wording of the rule is somewhat unclear to me, but I acknowledge that this might be because I'm a non-native speaker. When the rule mentions "is blocked", does it refer to meeting another stand during its fallback? The Rule 80.2a does not use the term "blocked," and consistency in terminology would provide greater clarity when describing rules. Additionally, one could argue that being attacked is also a form of being blocked.
David Kuijt
Grand Master WGC

Post by David Kuijt » Wed Sep 27, 2023 12:58 am

Drake wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2023 11:56 am
Yes, I meant when a flying stand is attacked by two enemy stands. The wording of the rule is somewhat unclear to me, but I acknowledge that this might be because I'm a non-native speaker. When the rule mentions "is blocked", does it refer to meeting another stand during its fallback? The Rule 80.2a does not use the term "blocked," and consistency in terminology would provide greater clarity when describing rules. Additionally, one could argue that being attacked is also a form of being blocked.
Attacked by two enemy stands, front and (flank or rear), lose and need to fall back, and you're just dead.

Blocked means your fall-back is blocked (something is in the way, blocking it).

Being attacked is not a form of being blocked. When fall-back is blocked, it means prevented. Being slain because fall-back is not permitted (because of being attacked in the flank as well as front) does not block your fall-back, it just kills you.

Note! Not attempting to be rude, just attempting to be very clear -- you mentioned being a non-native speaker. Trying to dance gracefully around misconceptions might cause more misconceptions.

All the best!
DK