15mm Lord of the Rings Figures

Discussion of the upcoming fantasy version of TRIUMPH!
Texus Maximus
Sergeant

Re: 15mm Lord of the Rings Figures

Post by Texus Maximus » Wed Mar 15, 2023 1:15 am

I made a "Radagast the Brown" figure using an old D&D Battlesystems figure but was not fully satisfied with how it turned out. I believe the figure was supposed to be some kind of War Wizard. I liked that he was on a horse, but other than wearing brown clothes he didn't really look like Radagast who lived near Mirkwood and was friend to the birds.

Paul Potter sent me a nice figure (no idea what brand it is) that was a candidate to be Tom Bombadil. He didn't make the cut, so I added a staff of brass rod, enlarged his cape, added a broken tree, and sculpted a raven. This new version of Radagast will go into the army box and the old one will be relegated to my collection for skirmish wargaming.

Radagast v1.0 on the left. Radagast v2.0 on the right.

bb image hosting
David Kuijt
Grand Master WGC

Post by David Kuijt » Wed Mar 15, 2023 3:19 pm

I like 2.0 a lot.
DK
Brummbär
Companion-at-Arms

Post by Brummbär » Wed Mar 15, 2023 5:10 pm

Me too!!!
Texus Maximus
Sergeant

Post by Texus Maximus » Wed Mar 15, 2023 5:34 pm

While we are on the topic of improvement, I was not convinced my Treebeard model worked. either as a model or as a Hero in the game. So I made what I think is a better Treebeard and now as a Behemoth stand instead of a hero.

The description of Treebeard from the Two Towers is ",,, a most extraordinary face. It belonged to a large Man-like, almost Troll-like, figure, at least fourteen foot high, very sturdy, with a tall head, and hardly any neck. Whether it was clad in stuff like green and grey bark, or whether that was its hide, was difficult to say. At any rate the arms, at a short distance from the trunk, were not wrinkled, but covered with a brown smooth skin. The large feet had seven toes each. The lower part of the long large face was covered with a sweeping grey beard, bushy, almost twiggy at the roots, thin and mossy at the ends. But at the moment the hobbits noted little but the eyes. These deep eyes were now surveying them, slow and solemn, but very penetrating. They were brown, shot with a green light."

It was made using a Battle Valor brand troll/ogre figure as the base. I added a bark-like garment, reshaped the top of the head, and added a beard and mustache. The club he was holding was replaced with a little squirming goblin, made from a Splintered Light figure.

I cut all the tree branches off perpendicular to the base edge, which looks a little odd when the Ent stands are by themselves, but allows them to be placed edge to edge without snagging.

Here is Treebeard with the other Ents:

Texus Maximus
Sergeant

Post by Texus Maximus » Wed Mar 15, 2023 5:58 pm

Just a few more photos and then I promise to stop writing about Ents:

Gregorius
Companion-at-Arms

Post by Gregorius » Wed Mar 15, 2023 9:35 pm

Absolutely fantastic work again Paul. Your envisioning of Ents, and especially Treebeard, are spectacular.

Cheers,
Greg in the antipodes.
Brummbär
Companion-at-Arms

Post by Brummbär » Thu Mar 16, 2023 3:51 am

This is so…
…wonderful - bringing back the fantasy into LotR.
👍🤩
Rod
Grand Master WGC

Post by Rod » Sun Mar 19, 2023 3:29 pm

Just wow, as usual!
markleslie4
Squire

Post by markleslie4 » Mon Mar 20, 2023 3:46 am

Treebeard gives me the willies, I'd be run run running.
Thief. Reaver. Slayer.
Texus Maximus
Sergeant

Post by Texus Maximus » Wed Mar 29, 2023 7:48 pm

Shelob ( a Behemoth in the game), Gandalf the White, Denethor peering into the palantir and seeing doom, some well-armed dwarves (and a befuddled and ill-prepared hobbit) on a long journey to slay a dragon, and Shadowfax.