15mm Lord of the Rings Figures

Discussion of the upcoming fantasy version of TRIUMPH!
Texus Maximus
Sergeant

Re: 15mm Lord of the Rings Figures

Post by Texus Maximus » Wed Feb 22, 2023 9:35 pm

This 15mm army represents the forces of Saruman; masses of orcs as the main force, accompanied by some trolls, wolf riders, and Dunlendings. They are led in the field by a cadre of large Man-Orcs. In Triumph! terms, the forces are:

Maneuver Rating 3
Heavily Fortified Camp
1 x Elite Foot + General (Armored +.5, Deadly +2)
1 x Trolls (Behemoth)
8 x Pike
1 x Wargs (Fierce -.5, Slow -.5, Terrain Affinity +.5)
2 x Light Foot
1 x Bad Horse

For a total of 51 points.

The Army.

The look of this army was based off the old Angus McBride illustrations of Middle Earth.

Someone (I believe it was David Kuijt) made a good point that Saruman would probably not lead his armies in the field, so Saruman does not appear in this army. I have a Saruman figure but he will be relegated to the camp. Which reminds me that I need to make a Grima Wormtongue figure.

Dunlendings

The Light Foot are Old Glory Vikings and Dacians. The distinctive Dacian curved blades were converted into clubs.

The mounted figures are from Essex.

The Vikings and mounted figures were originally painted about ten years ago for some Dark Ages armies that I am now converting into Middle Earth troops.

Special Troops.

The General's stand of Elite Foot are Man-Orcs from Eureka miniatures. They were painted to look mostly human. It was impossible to fit four on a stand, so I substituted a Chariot-brand archer lurking among them.

The Wolf Riders and also from Chariot with some minor conversion. The wolves without riders are from Splintered Light miniatures.

The Trolls are Battle Valor brand "Orcians", with some smaller goblins mixed in among them. The trolls are painted a dark green color.

Orcs with Pikes.

These orcs are almost all from Khurasan miniatures. The only modifications were to shorten the pikes in a vain attempt to allow the stands to line up directly behind one another. They fit close enough for gaming purposes. There are some others mixed in for variety, including converted Eureka Man-Orcs and Splintered Light goblins.
Brummbär
Companion-at-Arms

Post by Brummbär » Thu Feb 23, 2023 5:53 am

I love it!!!! :shock:
Texus Maximus
Sergeant

Post by Texus Maximus » Sun Mar 12, 2023 3:01 am

This camp is for my upcoming Rohan army. A messenger has arrived at an isolated home out in the grasslands to tell a woman and child the news of invasion and battle.

The building is made from blue insulation foam, balsa, and rag cut into strips and soaked with white glue laid across in rows to represent thatch. The woman and child are by Essex I believe; the messenger is a Thistle and Rose figure.

Gregorius
Companion-at-Arms

Post by Gregorius » Sun Mar 12, 2023 4:37 am

Very nice Paul. Also useful for a Scandinavian army. Thanks for posting.

Cheers,
Greg in the antipodes.
Texus Maximus
Sergeant

Post by Texus Maximus » Sun Mar 12, 2023 7:06 pm

This 15mm figure depicts "Treebeard" the Ent, who will serve as an optional Hero stand in my Rohan army.

The Inspiration

My inspiration for this "Treebeard" figure came from the Angus McBride illustration from Characters of Middle Earth, published for the Middle Earth Roleplaying Game in 1990. He depicts Treebeard as he is described in the book; more of a huge man with tree-like features rather than a tree with a face on it.

Converting the Figure

"Old Glory 15mm" sells a tree-herder figure (part of a set in four different poses, highly recommended) that served as the starting point.

The arms were cut off, areas around the face were trimmed down with clippers and files, and the torso was smoothed out.

The legs were cut at the hips and knees to facilitate bending them into a striding pose.

First attempt at posing the arms - all wrong! I used a tacky plastic compound while I experimented until I got the right look.

The final pose and a reworked lower face and beard.

The final product ready for painting.
Brummbär
Companion-at-Arms

Post by Brummbär » Mon Mar 13, 2023 6:41 am

Man, I really love your project!!!
Your Orcs are beautiful - searching for something with that look in 10mm.
This is really bringing back this old classic Tolkien vibe to me. Really looking forward for what's coming!

Here is my Treebeard who is also an optional addition to my Rohan army ;-)

IMG_2202.jpg
IMG_2202.jpg (234.73 KiB) Viewed 326303 times
IMG_0649.JPG
IMG_0649.JPG (176.18 KiB) Viewed 326303 times
Brummbär
Companion-at-Arms

Post by Brummbär » Mon Mar 13, 2023 6:49 am

And I just now realized what is missing...

...my Treebeard has no beard!!!
Texus Maximus
Sergeant

Post by Texus Maximus » Mon Mar 13, 2023 8:54 pm

These three stands of Ents will be an allied contingent, or maybe a delayed-entry force for my Rohan army. In game terms: Behemoths, Delayed Entry, Terrain Affinity: Woods. Or something like that. I am open to suggestions.

How These Were Made:

The trees on the stands are HO scale model railroad trees purchased at Hobby Lobby. The Ents are conversions. The Birch is a Mushroom Man (Khurasan? Splintered Light?) with the fungus growths filed off, a leafy-looking mass added to the top of the head, and branch--like hands added from another model. The other two are 10mm "wood elementals" from Pendraken; again I don't recall for sure. These were modified by cutting off the arms and roots. The arms were re-positioned in a marching pose. Wires were added to form the legs, which were then built up with Greenstuff.

Texus Maximus
Sergeant

Post by Texus Maximus » Mon Mar 13, 2023 8:58 pm

Brummbär wrote:
Mon Mar 13, 2023 6:49 am
And I just now realized what is missing...

...my Treebeard has no beard!!!
I think your Treebeard figure is great! The painting and basing are excellent. Where did you get that figure? I have Treebeard envy right now.

Also, your Rohan army is looking good. That is a very creative camp; I have never seen one like that before. Well done!
Brummbär
Companion-at-Arms

Post by Brummbär » Tue Mar 14, 2023 6:03 am

Thanks!
Treebeard is a 3d printed miniature - need to search for the file. If you want it, please send me your email.

Love your stands of ents 🤩
Really looking forward where this project is going to - especially the idea with the epic gaming board got me hooked 👍