15mm Lord of the Rings Figures

Discussion of the upcoming fantasy version of TRIUMPH!
markleslie4
Squire

Re: 15mm Lord of the Rings Figures

Post by markleslie4 » Fri Jun 09, 2023 10:30 am

Wonderful indeed!
Bilbo doesn't look a day older than eleventy one.
Thief. Reaver. Slayer.
Texus Maximus
Sergeant

Post by Texus Maximus » Sun Jul 02, 2023 4:48 am

This Balrog is based on the vision of the Brothers Hildebrandt, which was published in their official Lord of the Rings calendars in 1977 and 1978. I had both those calendars and they set my ideas of what the characters in the books should look like. Their depiction was much more human-like than most of the figures we see nowadays. Check out that orc and troll in the background too.

I used this very nice figure from Alternative Armies as a starting point.

The head and face were reconstructed with an added beard and hair; the wings bent in to fit on a 40mm square stand, the tail removed, added a kilt with remnants of rusted chain mail, and the weapons reworked.

Rod
Grand Master WGC

Post by Rod » Sun Jul 02, 2023 12:07 pm

Looks great Paul
Brummbär
Companion-at-Arms

Post by Brummbär » Mon Jul 03, 2023 5:00 am

Nice implementation of your chosen vision :)
I like it!
Texus Maximus
Sergeant

Post by Texus Maximus » Tue Jul 04, 2023 4:01 am

This special terrain piece (The Dead Marshes) and a Gollum marker will be part of the campaign game.

Gollum started as a ghoul figure from Splintered Light that was suitably lanky and stooped over. I shortened his arms and legs then gave him some rags to wear. The head was sculpted from Green Stuff. The bushes he is hiding in were placed to hide the changes to his limbs.

Gollum will be deployed on the table and attach himself to the Ringbearer when he nears the Misty Mountains. There are several event cards planned that will feature events involving Gollum from the books, like Gollum attempting to seize the ring or acting as a guide through the Dead Marshes or the entrances to Mordor.

The Dead Marshes were filled with corpses or men, orcs, and elves that were killed in an ancient battle; their faces could be seen in the water and their hands held candles. Don't go near them!

Texus Maximus
Sergeant

Post by Texus Maximus » Tue Jul 04, 2023 4:01 am

(Duplicate post deleted)
Last edited by Texus Maximus on Wed Oct 04, 2023 11:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Gregorius
Companion-at-Arms

Post by Gregorius » Tue Jul 04, 2023 11:42 pm

Very evocative terrain Paul, and a nice representation of Gollum.

Cheers,
Greg in the antipodes.
Brummbär
Companion-at-Arms

Post by Brummbär » Thu Jul 06, 2023 5:04 am

Very nice minis and terrain - can't wait to see a report from you with all these cool minis and ideas in place!
Keep it coming!!!
Texus Maximus
Sergeant

Post by Texus Maximus » Sun Aug 20, 2023 2:06 am

This camp is for the Elves of Mirkwood. The look is inspired by a painting of the ElvenKings Gate (done by J.R.R. Tolkien himself) showing it as a relatively simple gate in the side of a tall wooded hill:

It is a simple camp but should look the part once it is on the board and surrounded by a few dozen stands of trees.

This model started as a camp which was originally intended to be Ecbatana, the city of the Medes known for having seven walls each of a different color. I could only manage two levels; it never looked right and sat in the box for a few years. So off came the ramparts and a new sort of rounded dome was added. I am using Autumn colors for Elvish buildings to represent the passing of their era in MIddle Earth.

Brummbär
Companion-at-Arms

Post by Brummbär » Sun Aug 20, 2023 5:46 am

I like it!!! :D