Thoughts on Army building

Discussion of the upcoming fantasy version of TRIUMPH!
Robert
Levy

Thoughts on Army building

Post by Robert » Thu Sep 29, 2022 1:03 pm

Dipping my toes into FT and before I get down to the re/basing portion we all know and love...wanted to get ppls thoughts:

On the "Very Bad & Mean People" side of the battlefield I am thinking:

Zombies - HORDE basing? While I understand they tend to shamble along, I am not inclined to give them SLOW...takes them to long to join the battle. I do think REGEN adds the correct flavor though.
Skeleton Warriors (Sword/Shield) - I am torn between HVY FOOT, RAIDERS, WARRIORS? I prefer the look of the HVY FOOT basing and if I am thinking of them being a reliable though dead skeleton foot unit I can see them in HVY FOOT marching formation?
Ghouls - So the typical fantasy theme would be faster/aggressive zombies. So thinking WARBAND? I think of them in smaller groups and not a true horde and much more aggressive and quick. Thoughts?
Spirits/Ghosts/Banshees - Not really sure where to go with these??

Welcome thoughts/ideas on how to add flavor to an UNDEAD'ish style army.

Cheers
Robert
David Kuijt
Grand Master WGC

Re: Thoughts on Army building

Post by David Kuijt » Thu Sep 29, 2022 5:17 pm

Hey Robert,

I like your thoughts.
  • If you have Massed Zombies, Horde is good. As you say, don't go with Slow -- they're slow enough already. Horde Fierce is fun for Zombies, though.
  • You can have dispersed Skellies as Light Foot with Slow.
  • Armored Skellies as Hvy Foot works for me. I've got like four stands of these.
  • Ghouls as Warband works for me too.
  • Here's a thought -- 4 stands of Light Foot with Slow with Delayed Entry and Up. Show them crawling up from underground (from the grave!!!). That's where the Up comes in. Delayed Entry -- they've been summoned by the Necromancer but haven't arrived yet.
  • Necromancer -- you can make him a Hero General, or have a stand with his bodyguard. I like him as a Pavise, with the missile fire representing his low-level defensive spells (poisoned magical darts, etc.) You can add Terror or Mindblast too.
DK
David Kuijt
Grand Master WGC

Post by David Kuijt » Thu Sep 29, 2022 5:28 pm

Robert wrote:
Thu Sep 29, 2022 1:03 pm
Spirits/Ghosts/Banshees - Not really sure where to go with these??
A powerful dead spirit could be a Hero with Terror and Delayed Entry (appears after it has been summoned). Maybe Elusive also.
DK
Robert
Levy

Post by Robert » Fri Sep 30, 2022 12:26 pm

Appreciate the reply and info David. Will take longer look through FT book as I paint and base. Looking forward to trying the armies out on the tabletop!
David Kuijt
Grand Master WGC

Post by David Kuijt » Fri Sep 30, 2022 1:02 pm

My Necromancer/Undead army (80mm basing) has the following stands:
  • Necromancer. Pavise, Major Mindblast, Deadly, Armored, Marksman. The ranged attacks are his minor spells (no diff in the game). 11.5 pts!
  • Necromancer on Skeletal Pegasus: Elite Cavalry, Flying Fast, Minor Mindblast.
  • Skeletal Giant. Knight, Slow.
  • Skeletal mounted. Horsebow slow, JavCav slow.
  • Some relatively normal stuff. Chariot, Shooter, Pike, all normal (but skeleton figures)
  • Skellie horde. Horde fierce.
  • Bone Golem. Cataphract slow, fierce.
  • Skellie thugs (armored skeletons). Heavy Foot Fierce.
  • Skellies rising from the grave, summoned by the Necromancer. Light Foot, Slow, Up, Delayed Entry. 1 pt each!
  • Three Skeletal Behemoths (two Mammoths, one Rhino): Behemoth. One of the Mammoths has a ballista on its back, it has Ranged Attack/Marksman (could also have been Spellblast Physical).
  • Dragonbone Artillery: Artillery
Then I've got some Hero stands.
  • Liche Wizard: Hearten, Ranged Attack-magic, Marksman, Armored, Dueling +4
  • Skeletal Ninja: Assassin, Evasive, Dueling +3
  • Wight: Terror, Negate Magic Self, Evasive, Dueling +2
DK
RogerCooper
Squire

Post by RogerCooper » Sat Oct 08, 2022 10:43 pm

Low-level undead might be handled as Rabble with a Terror battlecard.
David Kuijt
Grand Master WGC

Post by David Kuijt » Mon Oct 10, 2022 12:41 am

RogerCooper wrote:
Sat Oct 08, 2022 10:43 pm
Low-level undead might be handled as Rabble with a Terror battlecard.
Terror is reaaaaaally expensive. Unless you want these to be "Super Rabble", buy them a Prowess battle card (representing the fear that magnifies their impact). Or just straight up Rabble (with no battle cards) -- sure, they create fear in their opponents, but they don't have depth perception and they aren't that smart, which goes a long way towards counteracting the fear they create.
DK