15mm Lord of the Rings Figures

Discussion of the upcoming fantasy version of TRIUMPH!
Texus Maximus
Sergeant

Re: 15mm Lord of the Rings Figures

Post by Texus Maximus » Thu Jul 18, 2024 4:15 am

I recently got bogged down painting some challenging figures: old Donnington sculpts which lack clear detail and it took me weeks to make myself finish them. So I set a challenge for these four stands of Goblin Rabble: paint and base them to a decent standard as quickly as possible. There are 20 figures because I put five per stand instead of the standard three (thanks for the idea Bill Hupp!).

It took me 2 hours and 40 minutes of actual work to get these ready to use, starting from when they came out of the bag and ending when they were ready to set on the table. This doesn't count the numerous pauses for drying glue, drying paint, drying the stain, etc.

The actual painting only took 80 minutes, so about 4 minutes per figure. These went fast because these are nice sculpts with little flash and sharp detail, and also because I did not do any conversions. I recommend these Battle Valor figures highly; very easy to paint.

I drilled holes in their arms to make sure the shields attached firmly.

Putting them on a stick facing the same way facilitates painting them like an assembly line. They were then primed black. I use a brush and craft paint because I wanted to make certain there was no metal showing.

After painting, I dry-brushed a light gray then stained them with Minwax Satin Tudor. Then a spray of Dullcote.

Basing is model railroad ballast mixed in various sizes secured with white glue. It is then painted with craft paint (Mississippi Mud) and a light drybrush of light sand. Then some tufts and model railroad ground cover.

Ready for use! I left the shields a plain black so they can supplement any of the forces of evil. Can't have too many goblin rabble.

skc
Companion-at-Arms

Post by skc » Thu Jul 18, 2024 6:30 am

Thanks for the complete breakdown and photos of the final product. Really looks stunning. Makes me want to now go get a Goblin type army to ally with my Dark Elves & Undead. Much of my Ancients stuff is old Donnington bought about 40 years back. Stood the test of time.
Brummbär
Companion-at-Arms

Post by Brummbär » Thu Jul 18, 2024 10:08 am

As always: nice work!!!
Texus Maximus
Sergeant

Post by Texus Maximus » Tue Aug 27, 2024 8:28 pm

These stands are for the Elf forces of Mirkwood. The mounted troops are Horsebow and the other two stands are Archers. There are four stands of Light Spear still in progress.

The elvish boat is a small "garden gnome" decoration from the craft store that was quickly repainted. It will be placed in Lorien to go with a card that allows rapid movement south for the Fellowship.

The painting does not look so great close up but I am counting on the arms-length view distance to compensate!

The figures are by Old Glory. I believe they are Late Romans?

Conversion note: The two mounted figures started as the same pose (see below) but have both been converted by changing an arm, adding a cloak, etc.

Brummbär
Companion-at-Arms

Post by Brummbär » Wed Aug 28, 2024 4:52 am

Stunning work!!! :o
Keep it coming!
skc
Companion-at-Arms

Post by skc » Wed Aug 28, 2024 5:31 am

Lovely stuff. Am getting quite into Fantasy now, not only with Triumph but also Warhammer Old World which has resurfaced.