15mm Lord of the Rings Figures

Discussion of the upcoming fantasy version of TRIUMPH!
Texus Maximus
Sergeant

Re: 15mm Lord of the Rings Figures

Post by Texus Maximus » Sat Jan 27, 2024 8:51 pm

I took a break from painting due to real life, but now I am back on track with the arrival of all the figures I need to Make a Gondor and Mordor army. All the big terrain pieces are done too.

I had a cheap plastic model railroad willow tree to out in the Old Forest as "Old Man Willow". It just didn't look right; too small, didn't look interactive, obviously plastic. Here is the new Old Man Willow - an Ent figure with the top of the original willow tree as his hair.

Turn him around and you can see he has a face and arms. It is an original Minifigs figure from their 1973 "Mythical Earth" series.

The most interesting fact is this Ent figure came from the estate of John Eric Holmes, best known as the author of the old Dungeons and Dragons basic set or "Blue Book" from 1977. The whole thing has a goofy charm, I think. It is good to have a use for it still after 50 years.

Texus Maximus
Sergeant

Post by Texus Maximus » Sat Feb 10, 2024 10:45 pm

These six stands of Knights are the core of my Rohan army. They are Old Glory brand Visgoths/Ostrogoths with some conversions.

The design of the white horse on the flag and shields of the household units is based on the Uffington White Horse:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uffington_White_Horse

The army needs a few more stands of Knights, so I plan to use some Old Glory Norman Knights converted with round shields and long axes. That way I can also use them as mounted Huscarls for an Anglo-Saxon army to use at Little Wars in a few months. Wild Fabrum has Essex-brand round Dark Ages shields so the conversions should be easy. They will look somewhat different from the other Knights, but I am explaining that away by claiming they have been called up from some far part of Rohan where customs differ slightly.
Texus Maximus
Sergeant

Post by Texus Maximus » Thu Feb 29, 2024 6:26 pm

These forces are assigned to the fortress of Dol Guldur in southern Mirkwood. There is one stand of Raiders and four stands of Warband. There will also be four stands of goblin Rabble, which are in the line to be painted.

The orcs by themselves didn't look too convincing as a Warband, so I added the bats above their heads to make them look more dangerous.

The orc figures are all Khurasan brand, except for one Battle Valor archer filling out the ranks on the command stand. The bats are from Splintered Light.

Brummbär
Companion-at-Arms

Post by Brummbär » Fri Mar 01, 2024 12:22 pm

Really really well done!!!
Love 'em ;)
Texus Maximus
Sergeant

Post by Texus Maximus » Mon Mar 04, 2024 11:12 pm

I painted a Norman army for DBA back in 2006 and wanted to put it to use for Fantasy Triumph! My initial thought was to paint the shields green and add them directly to my Rohan army, but instead I clipped off the kite shields and added round ones with bosses, changed out the straight pin lances for better brass ones, added mustaches, and gave them a repaint. They don't exactly match the other Rohan troops, but they look close enough to my eye.

A stand from 2006, destined to be redone as a commander for an Anglo-Norman army for the Little Wars convention.

I believe my painting is more vibrant now, with better-defined faces and bolder contrasts. The intent is to make them show up better at arms length on the table.

Converted Normans next to original Normans.

The two stands of ex-Normans mixed in with the rest of the Rohan army, making the mounted component complete with eight stands of Knights.

Some Action Scenes - Rohan vs. Haradrim

skc
Squire

Post by skc » Mon Jun 03, 2024 10:43 am

Absolutely stunning! I'm overwhelmed. BTW: Am looking for a 48pt Dwarven List. Do you perhaps have?
David Kuijt
Grand Master WGC

Post by David Kuijt » Sun Jun 09, 2024 1:33 pm

skc wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2024 10:43 am
Absolutely stunning! I'm overwhelmed. BTW: Am looking for a 48pt Dwarven List. Do you perhaps have?
Army list, or figures? If the army list, I've created a whole bunch (complete set, for the whole Third Age and late part of the Second Age) of Tolkein army lists.
DK
skc
Squire

Post by skc » Sun Jun 09, 2024 3:37 pm

Army List. Friend of mine has inherited some Dwarves and is trying to work out a List. (Shall I find out exactly what he has or can you just send me all 3 Lists and he works from those?)
David Kuijt
Grand Master WGC

Post by David Kuijt » Mon Jun 10, 2024 9:59 pm

skc wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2024 3:37 pm
Army List. Friend of mine has inherited some Dwarves and is trying to work out a List. (Shall I find out exactly what he has or can you just send me all 3 Lists and he works from those?)
Sorry for the confusion -- I've created army lists for everyone from the beginning of the Second Age onwards. Here's the list for the Dwarven Kingdom of Erebor (second founding, after the fall of Smaug):
  • Topography: Hilly
  • Maneuver: between 1 and 3
  • Battle Cards: Fortified Camp
    • 6-12 Elite Foot (Armored Dwarves fighting in close order. May have Hold the Line. Might also have Hearten and/or Armored)
    • 0-4 Raider (Armored Dwarves fighting in open order. Might have Hearten and/or Armored)
    • 0-2 Spear (Armored Dwarves with polearm or long spear and shield. Possibly with Hearten and/or Armored as above)
    • 0-1 Light Foot (Dwarven unarmored foot. Required battle card: Slow)
    • 0-1 Artillery (ballista or engines for killing trolls and dragons)
With a possible allied contingent from Dale as follows:
  • 1-2 Heavy Foot (Dale infantry)
  • 0-2 Bow Levy (Dale bowmen. Possibly with the battle card for Ranged Attack)
  • 0-2 Light Foot (Rhovanion woodsmen)
DK
skc
Squire

Post by skc » Tue Jun 11, 2024 7:02 am

Many thanks David. I'll send to my friend and see if he is happy with this.