15mm Lord of the Rings Figures

Discussion of the upcoming fantasy version of TRIUMPH!
Texus Maximus
Sergeant

Re: 15mm Lord of the Rings Figures

Post by Texus Maximus » Wed Nov 08, 2023 6:17 pm

The big pieces of terrain are complete, so I did a layout to see how they all fit together. The table is 6' by 7' and covered with felt cloth in a green shade called "Reets Relish".

The only problem I saw was the distance between Isengard and Rohan. It was much to large and put the Isengard troops nearly in the center of the board. This is a big table and having to stand up reach over into the center every turn would get tiresome quickly. I cut out a few more mountain shapes to bring Isengard closer to the board edge. Now all the players can sit down to play. It also moves Moria a little further away from Rivendell.

Still to come: More trees and vegetation, roads, rivers, and 100+ stands of troops, heroes, and markers.

Looking from the Shire to the Misty Mountains

Looking west from the Lonely Mountain

Mordor is mostly finished

The main battle area for Isengard and Rohan

The main battle area for Gondor and Mordor
markleslie4
Squire

Post by markleslie4 » Thu Nov 09, 2023 3:08 am

A polished surface and shuffleboard cues could be a goer if you are determined to build a table worthy of Mordor.

Thief. Reaver. Slayer.
Texus Maximus
Sergeant

Post by Texus Maximus » Wed Nov 15, 2023 6:12 pm

This picture is the Lonely Mountain camp I threw together for the small force (one stand of Elite Foot) of dwarves for the game. The top half of the mountain is a plastic piece and the lower half is carved foam. Any of you older gamers (50+) recognize the plastic piece?

The top half is the base - molded in orange plastic - is from an old model kit of a "Flying Reptile" produced by Aurora. It was part of a line called "Prehistoric Scenes" in the early 1970s. It was part of the war game collection of my late brother-in-law Jimmie Parker, meaning it has been used for wargaming for 50 years now.

Here are the Prehistoric Scenes kits to jar the memories of you older gamers.

The two photos of the models are from this great fan site for the series: https://www.tylisaari.com/prehistoricsc ... s/fly.html
Texus Maximus
Sergeant

Post by Texus Maximus » Wed Nov 15, 2023 6:18 pm

MarkLelie4-

Regarding long sticks to push the miniatures - Rod Cain had long sticks for pushing the miniatures around on the floor for his large scale (54mm?) floor game of Troy at Historicon. Shaped like lightning bolts of course.

Texus Maximus
Sergeant

Post by Texus Maximus » Sun Nov 19, 2023 11:58 pm

The terrain is almost all done, so on to more troops for the forces of Evil.

Four stands of Rabble and two stands of Bow Levy for the Mines of Moria. The figures are mostly Battle Valor, with a large Khurasan-brand orc and a wolf from Splintered Light on the command stand. I went with five figures per base instead of the standard three.

A Nazgul Lord from Alternative Armies and "Hill Trolls of Gorgoroth" for the Mordor forces.

The Trolls are some of those outstanding Vendel-brand figures sold by Bill Hupp. These are much larger than the other figures I have been using for trolls, but the figures look exactly like I always imagined when reading the books, especially the ones in the final battle: "But through them there came striding up, roaring like beasts, a great company of hill-trolls out of Gorgoroth. Taller and broader than Men they were, and they were clad only in close-fitting mesh of horny scales, or maybe that was their hideous hide; but they bore round bucklers huge and black and wielded heavy hammers in their knotted hands. Reckless they sprang into the pools and waded across, bellowing as they came."

The orc archers crowded around them are from Khurasan and remind me of the 1970s art by the Brothers Hildebrandt.

David Kuijt
Grand Master WGC

Post by David Kuijt » Mon Nov 20, 2023 5:36 pm

What troop type are the Trolls? Behemoths, with the archers just as a decorative accent? Behemoths with the Ranged Combat battle card?
DK
Texus Maximus
Sergeant

Post by Texus Maximus » Tue Nov 21, 2023 3:08 am

David Kuijt wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2023 5:36 pm
What troop type are the Trolls? Behemoths, with the archers just as a decorative accent? Behemoths with the Ranged Combat battle card?
They are Behemoths in the game. I am using the army lists you developed for Historicon as the general guide. So no special abilities for the trolls.

We don't use any house rules for Triumph1 games, but I can't help myself from putting extra figures on the bases sometimes.
David Kuijt
Grand Master WGC

Post by David Kuijt » Tue Nov 21, 2023 3:25 am

Texus Maximus wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2023 3:08 am
They are Behemoths in the game. I am using the army lists you developed for Historicon as the general guide. So no special abilities for the trolls.

We don't use any house rules for Triumph1 games, but I can't help myself from putting extra figures on the bases sometimes.
Gotcha.

Yes, I'm the same way. I often have 10 figs on my bow-armed Pavises, because they look so good in three ranks with 3 spearmen, then 4 and 3 archers. Crossbows are a bit more difficult because they're wider; they're often 8 on my stands (3/2/3)
DK
Bill Hupp
Sergeant

Post by Bill Hupp » Sat Nov 25, 2023 3:40 am

This is great stuff Paul! Its really coming together.
Bill Hupp
Thistle & Rose Miniatures
Brummbär
Companion-at-Arms

Post by Brummbär » Mon Nov 27, 2023 5:41 am

Top notch!!!