15mm Lord of the Rings Figures

Discussion of the upcoming fantasy version of TRIUMPH!
Brummbär
Companion-at-Arms

Re: 15mm Lord of the Rings Figures

Post by Brummbär » Thu May 04, 2023 4:37 am

I only can repeat myself: wonderful!
This really matches how I imagined Middleearth and brings back this old "fantasy feeling" for me (which has been somewhat "destroyed" by a very good film epos...).

Can't wait seeing all this coming together!
Please keep going ;)
Rod
Grand Master WGC

Post by Rod » Thu May 04, 2023 10:08 am

Brummbär wrote:
Thu May 04, 2023 4:37 am
I only can repeat myself: wonderful!
This really matches how I imagined Middleearth and brings back this old "fantasy feeling" for me (which has been somewhat "destroyed" by a very good film epos...).

Can't wait seeing all this coming together!
Please keep going ;)
You need a vacation to Historicon so you can play in the big campaign with us :D
Brummbär
Companion-at-Arms

Post by Brummbär » Thu May 04, 2023 11:12 am

That would be a dream come true... :D :D :D
(And you don't even have the slightest idea how true that is!)
Texus Maximus
Sergeant

Post by Texus Maximus » Thu May 04, 2023 9:28 pm

These mounted Nazgul will be Hero stands, with a dueling value of 1. They will start the six-player game in the northwestern part of the map, near the Shire and Bree. So they will have a small chance to seize the Ring early in the game by moving into contact with the Ringbearer stand and making a die roll. They can easily be defeated by other Hero stands with a higher dueling value like Aragorn who starts in Bree, but will then reappear adjacent to some other Mordor camp (Dol Guldur or Barad-Dur).

The ninth Nazgul has a crown and is mounted on a flying beast; that stand will be a Hero General for Mordor and start in the far southeast of the map where the main armies are.

The Nazgul figures are from Alternative Armies. They were mounted on skeletal horses, so I changed them out for Old Glory horses stolen from the unpainted pile of historical miniatures. Some of the weapons were modified; spears turned into swords, scimitars into maces, and double-bitted axes turned into smaller ones. They were base-coated black, then painted and/or drybrushed with greys, dark green, and dark red. The black horses were drybrushed with a Navy Blue color to help them stand out.

Gregorius
Companion-at-Arms

Post by Gregorius » Thu May 04, 2023 11:50 pm

A great tip re drybrushing with dark blue on the horses Paul. I'll have to try it next time I paint up some black horses.

Cheers,
Greg in the antipodes.
Brummbär
Companion-at-Arms

Post by Brummbär » Fri May 05, 2023 4:47 am

Awesome!!! :o
Texus Maximus
Sergeant

Post by Texus Maximus » Mon May 08, 2023 4:03 pm

These six stands of Rabble and one of Bad Horse represent the ruffians who lived south of Bree and the Shire. They are mentioned early in the books as people who have been coming north in increasing numbers and ready to make room for themselves if they are not accommodated. They are also in league with Saruman at the end of the Return of the King and have to be cleared from the Shire by force.

The figures are mostly Old Glory, with the main conversions being changing most of the swords and spears to clubs and torches.

The Ruffian Camp

Their camp is an empty barn surrounded by parched ground. I believe this resin piece is from Splintered Light?

In Action

Here the we see the Ruffians invading the outnumbered forces of the Shire. Some dust-covered Rangers (Javelin Cavalry) have arrived to assist.

The stakes are high indeed. If not stopped here, the Ruffians will be able to continue to their advance all the way across to the neighbor's driveway and destroy his red Camry.

On the Six-Player Map

These forces will be arrayed around "Tharbad" on the northwest corner of the map in order to give the forces of Bree and the Shire an opponent within reach.

Brummbär
Companion-at-Arms

Post by Brummbär » Mon May 08, 2023 6:50 pm

Love it!
You keep my biting my nails, coming back several times each day and checking if there is something new again.
Great project!!!
Texus Maximus
Sergeant

Post by Texus Maximus » Thu Jun 08, 2023 9:31 pm

The end of the school year was a busy time, but I am back at the painting bench. These are the pieces for a Rivendell camp for the north edge of the game board. The seated figure is Elrond and Bilbo Baggins can be seen wandering about behind him.

Both these figures will serve as markers for event cards. Rivendell will begin the game as a heavily fortified camp, but the event deck has a card titled "The Elves of Rivendell Depart for the West". The Dark Power players can use that to remove Elrond and turn Rivendell into an ordinary camp. I am not sure about the Bilbo event card yet, but it is something like "Bilbo Insists on Reciting His Poetry" which causes the Fellowship to lose a turn of movement if they are near Rivendell.

Sources: The building is some ceramic piece - I think it was supposed to be some kind of idyllic town hall - that I found at a thrift shop and cut down a few inches. The autumn trees came from a half-price sale at the local Michael's craft store. I thought an autumn theme was good for the elves.

Bilbo is a Tin Soldier hobbit converted to have a walking stick. Elrond is a civilian figure, I want to say from Forged in Battle. The throne was scratch built from card and balsa. The color scheme for Elrond is taken from the 1970s Rankin-Bass Hobbit movie, complete with a circle of stars around his head.
Brummbär
Companion-at-Arms

Post by Brummbär » Fri Jun 09, 2023 5:04 am

Wonderful ideas!!!