Scythed Chariots

Discussion of the upcoming Battle Card system for TRIUMPH!
Davoutuk2001
Levy

Scythed Chariots

Post by Davoutuk2001 » Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:24 am

Hi,
Could anyone explain how the Scythed Chariot and Stampedes Battle Card works please as I'm not sure I understand correctly.
It appears to me that no combat is fought by the chariots or stampedes themselves and that the only effect is on certain other combats for marked units?
Thanks,
Terry
David Kuijt
Grand Master WGC

Re: Scythed Chariots

Post by David Kuijt » Wed Jan 20, 2021 1:52 pm

Davoutuk2001 wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:24 am
Hi,
Could anyone explain how the Scythed Chariot and Stampedes Battle Card works please as I'm not sure I understand correctly.
It appears to me that no combat is fought by the chariots or stampedes themselves and that the only effect is on certain other combats for marked units?
That's correct. Making a stampede (or a sparse group of scythed chariots) a separate unit implies that there is a chance to use it more than once in the same battle, which is ludicrous on the face of it. We could have used a mechanism that made a stampede/SC into a "unit" that is destroyed automatically after its first combat, but that doesn't fit well with the historical record (insofar as anything can be determined, since the few descriptions that survive are markedly non-technical). For example, mechanisms like overlaps don't encourage generals to use stampedes/scythed chariots in a historical way if the stampede/scythed chariot unit is treated like a one-shot unit; whereas the mechanism we are using forces the main army to attempt to follow the disconcerting impact of the stampede with an immediate assault while the enemy line is (hopefully) disordered. Much like a rolling barrage was supposed to work in WW1 trench warfare during an assault, if you're familiar with that.
DK
Davoutuk2001
Levy

Post by Davoutuk2001 » Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:40 am

Many thanks for clarifying.

Regards,

Terry
skc
Squire

Post by skc » Sat Aug 14, 2021 9:02 am

While on this subject 2 queries.

1. Must there be 'space' to fit a chariot in. I.E. a gap between the lines which can fit a 2mux2mu Skythed chariot model/card, and/or can the chariot appear from the rear or flank of target unit? (unlikely historically I guess)

2. Can the target stand already be in close combat, even if no space to 'fit' a chariot.?

I've been so far playing it as.
Only use the card if there is space to fit. Try to have a suitable say Jav Cav stand ready to charge in. (takes some 'juggling' which I've felt depicts real life better.) Have used rear or flank but think its unrealistic.

Please clarify.

Thanks in advance.
Skythe Chariot Mithradatic -Roman pic.jpg
Skythe Chariot Mithradatic -Roman pic.jpg (332.44 KiB) Viewed 5683 times
David Kuijt
Grand Master WGC

Post by David Kuijt » Tue Aug 17, 2021 10:09 pm

The physical marker has nothing to do with the space required to attack with a line of chariots; on the other hand, if there is just an epsilon (small unit measurement) between two lines, there is no way in the real world that an effective scythed chariot attack could be mustered.

Let me think on it.

[edit] -- if it's already in close combat, no.
DK
skc
Squire

Post by skc » Wed Aug 18, 2021 6:44 am

Thanks David. We're getting there! (Maybe mention space between units needed. Also if no space, then not from side or rear either. (not the most manvourerable those things!)