...and now for something completely different

A place to discuss other TRIUMPH! battlefield features
MarkusB
Squire

...and now for something completely different

Post by MarkusB » Fri Nov 13, 2020 3:15 pm

A few days ago I went to buy some stuff at a DIY store nearby, and I noticed a pack of blank wooden cubes with rounded corners. First, I idly considered that they would make great d6s if only they had some kind of marking on them. Then, I considered how easy it would be to mark them with a woodburning tool. Well, to make a long story short:
20201112_125733.jpg
20201112_125733.jpg (22.94 KiB) Viewed 5326 times
...I just HAD to make these custom greco-persian wars Triumph! dice (a blank cube is also shown). In case you wonder, the persian die is marked with old cuneiform numerals, and the greek die is marked with attic numerals. I think both are period-appropriate, but I'm happy to discuss any mistake! Cuneiform was a bit tricky until I discovered that you just have to indent the surface with a straight tool while keeping it tilted at 45°angle- all those tiny triangles will just appear automatically, which makes sense. Experimental archaeology at work! :D

One word of caution: despite being called a woodburning tool, I've found that it quite readily burns flesh, too- as the large blister on the middle sausage, pardon finger, in the photo above can attest. No pain, no gain, I presume. Can't wait to roll lots of PI for the greeks :D
David Kuijt
Grand Master WGC

Re: ...and now for something completely different

Post by David Kuijt » Fri Nov 13, 2020 4:52 pm

Nice!

Especially the multipurpose use of a fingerburning tool to make marks on wood! That's using your noggin!
DK
MarkusB
Squire

Post by MarkusB » Fri Nov 13, 2020 7:18 pm

David Kuijt wrote:
Fri Nov 13, 2020 4:52 pm
Especially the multipurpose use of a fingerburning tool to make marks on wood! That's using your noggin!
:lol:
Bill Hupp
Sergeant

Post by Bill Hupp » Sat Nov 14, 2020 5:13 am

Awesome! Any particular brand? I’ve never run across wooden dice before.
Bill Hupp
Thistle & Rose Miniatures
MarkusB
Squire

Post by MarkusB » Sun Nov 15, 2020 2:48 pm

Bill Hupp wrote:
Sat Nov 14, 2020 5:13 am
Awesome! Any particular brand? I’ve never run across wooden dice before.
Well it's the first time I've ever seen them, but googling for "wooden cubes rounded corners" gives hundreds of results (most of which cheap as dirt). I don't think that making themed wargame dice is a massively popular activity, so I suspect they're super-useful for something else I can't see at the moment :D
Bill Hupp
Sergeant

Post by Bill Hupp » Tue Nov 17, 2020 2:20 am

Thanks I will search on the web.

Bill
Bill Hupp
Thistle & Rose Miniatures