15mm Philistine Camp

A place to discuss other TRIUMPH! battlefield features
Texus Maximus
Sergeant

15mm Philistine Camp

Post by Texus Maximus » Tue Jun 21, 2022 7:59 pm

This camp represents a simple shrine of Dagon, an ancient Syrian and Mesopotamian god, and national god of the Philistines (Judges 16:23). This camp is based less on historical research and more on Hollywood.

The initial idea was to make a simple (and more accurate) model of a rectangular temple with plain walls and columns. Instead, I decided to use a desert building that has lingered for several years on the shelf. It started as an excellent multi-story building from Crescent Root studios that was too large for use in Triumph. I cut the building apart and retained the core two-story building only. I added blue trim at the top and bottom to try to make it look less North African.

The model of Dagon was directly inspired by the 1949 epic movie “Samson”.

The model of Dagon was made by cutting up two plastic figures of devils/demons I had for use as evil statues in our long-running “Song of Blades and Heroes” campaign game. The figure was then detailed with green stuff, mounted on a wooden spool, and painted.

The most important feature of the shrine is a light-up bonfire in front of the statue. I thought about modeling flames in the bowl Dagon is holding, but went with a flickering light-up bonfire instead. It is a D & D accessory purchased off of Etsy. I don’t think I can post a video here, but trust me that when the flickering bonfire lights up the shrine interior and Dagon, it is a fun effect and makes the whole thing work.
Gregorius
Companion-at-Arms

Re: 15mm Philistine Camp

Post by Gregorius » Tue Jun 21, 2022 11:46 pm

That's fabulous Paul! Flickering lights always add a bit of drama.

Cheers,
Greg in the antipodes.
Texus Maximus
Sergeant

Post by Texus Maximus » Mon Sep 12, 2022 11:15 pm

I was never quite happy with the original camp; the structure looked too much like a North African building instead of an ancient Near Eastern temple. Plus, the statue of Dagon was largely hidden. So the original building went into the Colonial Wars box for later use. This new one is closer to the 1949 Samson movie version of the temple and showcases the statue:

A worshipper-level view:

The statue and flickering fire are reused from the original. The temple is made from balsa, dollhouse trim, and wooden pegs from the craft store. The sandstone look was achieved by using a sponge to apply successive layers of brown and sand=colored paint.

Brummbär
Companion-at-Arms

Post by Brummbär » Tue Sep 13, 2022 4:54 am

I really like your new version of the camp!
Keep up the wonderful work...

Cheers,
Thomas
Bill Hupp
Sergeant

Post by Bill Hupp » Tue Sep 13, 2022 3:37 pm

Wonderful use of dollhouse trim.

I’m always buying more of that stuff at hobby lobby but never finding the time to do anything with it.

I like the new outdoor temple!

Bill
Bill Hupp
Thistle & Rose Miniatures
Gregorius
Companion-at-Arms

Post by Gregorius » Mon Sep 19, 2022 12:25 am

Lovely work again Paul. You just need a Victor Mature figure chained to the pillars.

Cheers,
Greg in the antipodes.
Texus Maximus
Sergeant

Post by Texus Maximus » Wed Sep 21, 2022 11:51 pm

I did make a figure for Samson being called out of prison and taken to the Temple of Dagon (Judges 16:25) and he may look a litle like Victor Mature...

Judges 16:23-25

23 Now the rulers of the Philistines assembled to offer a great sacrifice to Dagon their god and to celebrate, saying, “Our god has delivered Samson, our enemy, into our hands.”

24 When the people saw him, they praised their god, saying,

“Our god has delivered our enemy
into our hands,
the one who laid waste our land
and multiplied our slain.”

25 While they were in high spirits, they shouted, “Bring out Samson to entertain us.” So they called Samson out of the prison, and he performed for them.
Brian Caskey
Squire

Post by Brian Caskey » Mon Feb 06, 2023 7:07 pm

Yup

Samson entertained them alright

As a matter of fact - "he brought the house down". with his act

it was rated a 4.6 on the Richter scale
Brian Caskey

Sgt Maj Centurion - the Legion Builder

I love Thistle & Rose Figures