28mm lotr demo project

A place to share painting tips and photos of painted armies and figures
Psybilliah
Levy

28mm lotr demo project

Post by Psybilliah » Wed Feb 17, 2021 2:57 pm

Howdy, in an attempt to draw more attention at my local venues I am converting LOTR forces by GW. Yes these are movie LOTR.

Will be Rohan vs urukhai and have a wizard based on each for potential fantasy port.

For Rohan I figure an easy force to foil into the urukhai using the models I have would be all mounted knights and jav cav and horse bow. So that's an easy 12 bases with only 3-4 unit types.

For the urukhai a large like block and then heavy foot and cross bow or raiders. This gives a slower but larger force to Rohan with higher combat values but can be shattered by the knights.

Again we are going for ease of teaching and movie thematic coolness to grab folks

Picks to come shortly
Mike "Psybilliah"
Rockville, MD USA
JonathanJ
Squire

Re: 28mm lotr demo project

Post by JonathanJ » Wed Feb 17, 2021 3:16 pm

The Urukhai from the films looked more like a combination of pike and raider to me. This would make for an interesting game since the pike would be strong against cavalry, but the raiders would be vulnerable in the open.

(On a side note, I still cringe every time I watch the movie and see cavalry charging downhill into a pike block...)
Psybilliah
Levy

Post by Psybilliah » Wed Feb 17, 2021 3:26 pm

Goodness ain't that the truth. Once I figure out how to post pics (due to size ) I will.
Mike "Psybilliah"
Rockville, MD USA
Bill Hupp
Sergeant

Post by Bill Hupp » Wed Feb 17, 2021 4:31 pm

I wouldn't tie yourself too much to the pike designation. Did they really fight like Pikemen in the movie? You have lots to choose from in terms of troop types.

The hardest thing to work out is the basing with the large round basing of the mounted figures, assuming you are not going to rebase. I did some custom basing back in the day that had 6 foot and 2 mounted figures per base that worked pretty well.

You might want to recharacterize your game in terms of it not being the assualt at Helms deep, but the battle of the arrival of the reinforcements/rescue troops. My son played at a GW sponsored convention scenario like that back when he was 11. He got to be Gandalf. He was doing so well they had to have Gandalf stand down so the othe players could have some fun too.

Bill
Bill Hupp
Thistle & Rose Miniatures
Psybilliah
Levy

Post by Psybilliah » Wed Feb 17, 2021 4:54 pm

I rebased them, so it's no problem. I have up in trying to do 28mm sabot on 80mm bases. I agree about the pike and helms deep.
Mike "Psybilliah"
Rockville, MD USA