Minwax Polyshades Dip Question

A place to share painting tips and photos of painted armies and figures
Texus Maximus
Sergeant

Minwax Polyshades Dip Question

Post by Texus Maximus » Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:15 pm

I use Minwax Polyshades stain (Tudor) on my painted miniatures to get a shading effect. I have been brushing it on after right after painting them with acrylic paints. Has any one tried spraying the miniatures with clear polyurethane sealer after painting and THEN applying the Minwax Polyshades? It seems like having a smooth polyurethane coating would help the Minwax Polyshades flow off the raised areas and into the crevices.
David Kuijt
Grand Master WGC

Re: Minwax Polyshades Dip Question

Post by David Kuijt » Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:57 pm

I just dip them.

I paint figs on nails. When they are completely dry (at least 24 hours after last painted) I take them into the basement, turn the nail upside down and dunk the fig in the dip. Then I pull it out, let it drip back into the can for a few seconds, then shake the nail/fig violently into a big shop garbage can. Then I take some paper towel, fold the fig in the paper towel to remove excess, and use a ripped piece of paper towel to swipe under shields, between legs, and anywhere I identify too much dip.

Total time to explain is longer than total time to do it. About 30 seconds per fig, maybe a bit more for 28mm figs and mounted, and a bit less for archers (flat poses).

I've been using this technique for a long time, and my figures are very nice. The vast majority of the figures in pictures for the print version of the rulebook are mine. (That won't help you much until the print version is out, but still).
DK