15mm Amorites

A place to share painting tips and photos of painted armies and figures
Texus Maximus
Sergeant

Re: 15mm Amorites

Post by Texus Maximus » Fri Dec 03, 2021 4:23 am

These six stands of “Raiders” are the main infantry force for the First Dynasty of Babylon, which is covered by the Later Amorite list. These represent the warriors that Hammurabi used to turn Babylon into a true military power and establish Babylonia as an empire.

The warriors have simple wrap-around kilts for the most part. The shields are of ox hide stretched across a wooden frame. Weapons are sickle swords, heavy long-handled axes, and a few spears. Their helmets are either bronze or made of plaited cord.

The primitive camp for the earlier Amorite lists will not do for the Later Amorites, so it will be replaced with a camp representing the walls of Babylon.

These figures (converted Old Glory brand) are based on the illustrations in “Armies of the Ancient Near East” (WRG, 1984).

Gregorius
Companion-at-Arms

Post by Gregorius » Fri Dec 03, 2021 8:58 pm

Very nice work Paul, especially the technique that you used on the shields.

Cheers,
Greg in the antipodes.
Bill Hupp
Sergeant

Post by Bill Hupp » Sun Dec 12, 2021 1:40 pm

Lovely work Paul.

Those are interesting shield patterns. How’d you do them?
Bill Hupp
Thistle & Rose Miniatures
Brummbär
Companion-at-Arms

Post by Brummbär » Mon Dec 13, 2021 6:37 am

Absolutely stunning!!! :o
Texus Maximus
Sergeant

Post by Texus Maximus » Thu Dec 23, 2021 12:24 am

I prime all miniatures black then a dry brush of white, going top to bottom. I make sure it is crudely done and uneven on the shields, so that some parts are still white and others black.

Next is a single thin coat of “Moccasin Brown” craft paint. This makes the shields an uneven brown.

Then I use some dense sponge and dip it in white, black, or tan paint. This is dabbed on the shields once or twice,

The final step is using a Minwax Polyshades Satin Tudor dip on the entire miniature.

I think most of these shields look good, but a few need larger patches of color. I will go back through and redo those by simply pressing the sponge on with more pressure and getting some bigger spots.