Sabots for Lt. Foot to Rabble

A place to share painting tips and photos of painted armies and figures
Pavane
Squire

Sabots for Lt. Foot to Rabble

Post by Pavane » Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:42 am

I hate painting and I bought half of my armies, which makes rebasing and/or adding figures problematic.

Rebasing for Triumph for me is a nightmare, but I am getting over it. I have a double DBA 2.2 Polybian Roman army so that is a good start. I've cannibalized my Later Carthaginian army for Psiloi and Gallic Warriors because it cannot be salvaged. The Carthaginian Warband can easily be converted to one stand of Triumph Warriors with some left over. The Psiloi that I have are now rebased as 3 figures on 20 mm bases as Light Foot/Velites. I don't have or want to paint four more stands for Rabble/Leves for a different time period so I decided to use 30 mm bases under the Light Foot as sabots. It occurred to me that since I put magnetic strips under each stand, that if I add a 20 mm magnetic strip to the 30 mm sabot (and then flock it) then there will be some attraction to keep them together when I deploy/move them. I'll post a photo when they are done, and let you know if it is worth the bother.
David Kuijt
Grand Master WGC

Re: Sabots for Lt. Foot to Rabble

Post by David Kuijt » Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:36 pm

I often do something similar when converting legacy "3Bw" into Bow Levy -- just glue a metal 40x30 to the bottom, then cut a length of balsa wood to fill the gap, then flock. Most of my Classical Indians are based/converted that way, and they look good.
DK
Pavane
Squire

Post by Pavane » Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:07 pm

Do you have a source for the 40 mm x 30 mm metal bases or do you make them?
David Kuijt
Grand Master WGC

Post by David Kuijt » Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:19 pm

Pavane wrote:Do you have a source for the 40 mm x 30 mm metal bases or do you make them?
The metal ones I buy, as I don't have precision metal cutting tools in my basement. (I've got a lot of other tools, but not those).

I don't recall the source offhand -- something Japanese sounding. Katana? Samurai? Ashigaru? I'll check when I get home.
DK
jdesmond
Squire

Post by jdesmond » Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:57 pm

Salutations,

Am planning to get some 'shim steel' stock from Amzn in near future, make 'movemnt trays'. Anyone with experience using that material, let us knoow yr experiences. Thanks very much.
David Kuijt
Grand Master WGC

Post by David Kuijt » Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:40 pm

jdesmond wrote:Salutations,

Am planning to get some 'shim steel' stock from Amzn in near future, make 'movemnt trays'. Anyone with experience using that material, let us knoow yr experiences. Thanks very much.
What game system are the movement trays for, John? Triumph doesn't use anything like that.
DK
Pavane
Squire

Post by Pavane » Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:10 am

Litko has what they call "flexible" steel bases which are 0.025 in. thick. That would probably work.
David Kuijt
Grand Master WGC

Post by David Kuijt » Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:11 pm

Pavane wrote:Litko has what they call "flexible" steel bases which are 0.025 in. thick. That would probably work.
Not rigid. I wouldn't use them. For sabots you want it not to be floppy at all.
DK
Pavane
Squire

Post by Pavane » Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:19 pm

If I understand what you said then the metal base is glued to the bottom of the rigid base to extend it 10 mm. I think that would work. I haven't ordered any, but if I do then I'll let you know how it works out.

EDIT: I had to place an order to Litko for more magnetic strips so I added some 40 mm x 30 mm x 0.8 mm plywood bases. They work well for the sabots since I am using 3 mm thick bases for my stands. I'll buy some balsa/bass wood to fill in the gaps as you suggested.
Pavane
Squire

Post by Pavane » Thu Oct 25, 2018 2:16 am

I now have four of each kind of sabots: 0.8 mm, 0.8 mm with balsa edges, and 3 mm. I'll bring them all to Fall In, but I like the plain 0.8 mm ones the best.