Spartacus Army in 15mm

A place to share painting tips and photos of painted armies and figures
Gregorius
Companion-at-Arms

Re: Spartacus Army in 15mm

Post by Gregorius » Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:39 am

A great start on the camp Tex and it tells a great story. It should look a treat when it is finished.

Cheers,
Greg in the antipodes.
Texus Maximus
Sergeant

Post by Texus Maximus » Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:26 am

The Spartacus Army is completed. There are a total of 18 elements for an army value of 48 points:

1 x Javelin Cavalry (4 Points)
1 x Elite Foot (4 Points)
8 x Rabble (16 Points)
6 x Heavy Foot (18 Points)
2 x Warriors (6 Points)

There are also two extra stands of Rabble, so the army composition could vary some.

I have already posted pictures of the Javelin Cavalry and Rabble, so here are some pictures and notes on the Elite Foot, Heavy Foot, Warriors, and camp.Starting with the Elite Foot:

The Elite Foot represent “Ex-gladiators and veteran war prisoners with Roman equipment”. Spartacus and his initial band of fellow rebel gladiators broke out of their gladiator school in Capua and soon “fell in with wagons conveying gladiators' weapons to another city; these they plundered and armed themselves” (Plutarch, Life of Crassus). Later they exchanged this gear for “real weapons of warfare” and cast aside their gladiatorial weapons as “dishonorable and barbarous” (Plutarch). Thus I used some War and Empire figures with a mix of gladiator and Roman military equipment for this stand. Spartacus is represented by an Old Glory Marian Roman with a head swap. This was inspired by the representation of Spartacus on the cover of the Osprey “Spartacus and the Slave War 73-71 BC” book. Since Spartacus was described as a Thracian, I added a Thracian top knot.
Texus Maximus
Sergeant

Post by Texus Maximus » Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:31 am

The Heavy Foot are “ex-slaves with Roman equipment”. These are almost entirely War and Empire figures, with a few Old Glory Marian Romans (with the plumes cut off). There are a few head swaps using the excellent “Peter Pig” bare or Viking heads. The shields are painted in a variety of colors, shield designs, and conditions, due to the number of different armies Spartacus defeated during his campaign across Italy (Appian, The Civil Wars). Some females were to be found in the ranks (Fields, Spartacus and the Slave War 73-71 BC) so there is a single warrior woman from “Trey Corbies” miniatures equipped with a spear and Roman shield.

The Warriors are “ex-slaves, Gallic and German fierce fighters”. They are described in one source (it may have been DBA 3.0) as fighting in their native style but not in native clothing. Slaves from Gaul were said to be good as herdsmen and shepherds (Fields) and the Spartacus army attracted and armed many of these types of men (Plutarch), so I used Xyston Greek psiloi and hammippoi to portray the Warriors as Gallic slave-shepherds armed with a mix of swords and spears. They are painted with lighter hair and complexions. They are also a little taller than the other ranges used, which seems right. I have equipped them with Xyston Scythian shields because “they made themselves rude shields of wicker-work and the skins of animals” (Florus, Epitome). The Heavy Foot have all the captured Roman shields. The shepherds were accompanied by fierce dogs as big as calves (Fields), so I added Molossor dogs to the stands. They are Mastiffs from Xyston, painted to look like Neapolitan Mastiffs in particular. The excellent blog “Dante’s Wars” by Swampster has a detailed post on his 15mm Spartacus army and was a big inspiration for the way these warriors are portrayed.
Texus Maximus
Sergeant

Post by Texus Maximus » Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:33 am

My first draft for a camp on Mount Vesuvius (see earlier post) had one big flaw...the base was too deep for Triumph!(!) So I cut away the back quarter of the camp and put some of the camp followers back in the lead pile. At the center is Spartacus standing by a captured Roman tent and scanning the countryside. A woman and child stand near him. Also nearby is a stack of goods, including a captured Roman shield, all taken in battle or as plunder in raids on Roman settlements near Mount Vesuvius (Fields). Spartacus “prohibited the bringing in of gold or silver by merchants” (Appian), so two guards stand by an open chest to collect any coins that may be brought in by the steady stream of escaped slaves making their way up the mountain trail to the camp. Finally, two more guards are posted both at the bottom and the top of the trail. The figures are a mix of War and Empire, Xyston, Essex, and Old Glory. Plus one more that I am not sure of, maybe Magister Militum.

All figures painted with craft store acrylic paint, stained with Minwax Polyshades Satin Tudor or Army Painter Strong Tone, then heavily sprayed with Testor’s DullCote.

One final note: sharp-eyed viewers may have noted there is a Spartacus figure on the Javelin Cavalry stand. And also with the Rabble. And the Elite Foot. And the Camp. Which one is Spartacus...
Texus Maximus
Sergeant

Post by Texus Maximus » Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:36 am

A few more photos from different angles:

Rod
Grand Master WGC

Post by Rod » Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:27 am

Looks fantastic!
Gregorius
Companion-at-Arms

Post by Gregorius » Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:27 pm

Fantastic work. Nice story telling via the elements and the camp.

Cheers,
Greg in the antipodes.
Bill Hupp
Sergeant

Post by Bill Hupp » Tue Jul 31, 2018 1:40 pm

Lovely figures and pictures. And another great camp idea.

I do have the makings of a Spartacus army that I was given, but it needs some work (and has too many gladiator types.)

Bill
Bill Hupp
Thistle & Rose Miniatures
Texus Maximus
Sergeant

Post by Texus Maximus » Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:46 pm

Bill, I have figures left over from this project that might be of use to you, private message sent.