15mm Polybian Romans

A place to share painting tips and photos of painted armies and figures
Dave
Levy

15mm Polybian Romans

Post by Dave » Mon Aug 01, 2022 7:27 pm

I had a giftcard from a rebate for a tire purchase and was looking for something new to try out. I remembered playing Triumph a few years back at a Fall In! so decided to give it a shot. These are 15mm Polybian Romans. The casting on the pilum left a lot to be desired so I decided to give them my "Warmaster High Elf" treatment and convert them up. The hafts are brass tube with a small pin tip glued into them. I them added a block of plasticard as the weight and shaped it with a knife.

The rest were pretty much stock, except for some spear and javelin swaps on the Triarii and Velites. I just need to finish building the cavalry.

Dave
Levy

Re: 15mm Polybian Romans

Post by Dave » Mon Aug 01, 2022 7:28 pm

I started off my Polybian Romans with not painting any Romans at all, but Cretan Archers. I'll be using these as skirmishers. These are closer to true 15mm than the Romans (more 18mm). I'm telling myself that the Romans were just better fed.

Dave
Levy

Post by Dave » Mon Aug 01, 2022 7:28 pm

I've been working on the Velites these past few weeks. Most of the colors have their basecoat down and I'm halfway through painting the red.

Brummbär
Companion-at-Arms

Post by Brummbär » Tue Aug 02, 2022 5:05 am

Hi Dave,

Impressive work so far!
One question: if you want to use them for Triumph, why do you base them individually?

Cheers,
Thomas
Texus Maximus
Sergeant

Post by Texus Maximus » Tue Aug 02, 2022 7:32 pm

Looking good! where did you get thos figures?

Also, nice job with the conversions.
Dave
Levy

Post by Dave » Wed Aug 03, 2022 2:05 am

Thanks guys.

They're based individually so I can use them for skirmish games too (looking at Clash of Spears). The washers are magnetic so I'll be able to drop them into bases of plasticard and magnetic material that I'm going to laser cut.

The figures are from Khurasan.
Dave
Levy

Post by Dave » Tue Aug 16, 2022 1:30 am

I finished up the Velites tonight, the line infantry also has their basecoat of red down as well. I have a small local con coming up where I volunteered to run some Warmaster games so I'm going to take a break from these for a bit to finish up some 10mm terrain. Hopefully I'll be back to painting them in September.

Brummbär
Companion-at-Arms

Post by Brummbär » Tue Aug 16, 2022 5:23 am

THey are looking awesome :o
Dave
Levy

Post by Dave » Fri Oct 21, 2022 2:51 am

Thanks Brumm.

I think I started these Romans two weeks ago. They take a bit more time and effort than the WW2 Americans, I think it's the red and metalics. I have their shields yet to do, but I wanted to clear coat them first as the shield covers so much of the figure.

Dave
Levy

Post by Dave » Thu Jan 05, 2023 6:54 pm

Back to the Romans! I finsihed up my Triarii this week and also spent some time putting together bases for everything.

Now I have usable units for Triumph! and can use the figures in a skirmish game as well. Next up is the Principes, cavalry and then I need to figure out the shields. I'm looking at some sort of decal at this point.